GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone have excessive wind (whistling) noise on the driver side

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-22, 09:00 AM
websurfer
Racer

Received 318 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Anyone have excessive wind (whistling) noise on the driver side

Ever since I got this GS new, I noticed excessive wind noise on the driver side. It's like a whistling noise at times. I already brought it to the dealer and they heard the noise and thought it was the weather-stripping so they replaced that but it's still making that noise.
Any suggestions or others have had this issue?

I don't think it's the side mirror since it's sounds like it's coming from the top of the door area. The sunroof insulation is flat and the dealer tech didn't think it's on the sunroof also.

I also watched:
Old 11-24-22, 09:01 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I installed a new sunroof seal a few months back, and wind noise has reduced significantly for me. This may or may not be your issue though.
Old 11-24-22, 10:24 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

No excessive noise on mine that I've heard and I've been hit with high winds for the past few weeks with gusts all the way up to 55 MPH. I've driven at speeds from 5 to 90 MPH in those conditions and don't remember hearing anything out of the normal wind noise blowing at me. My car is almost 4 years old with all factory installed parts too.
Old 11-24-22, 11:56 AM
websurfer
Racer

Same here, it's all factory parts. I purchased it new as well.
Old 11-25-22, 05:32 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I have one in my LUX, and I know where it comes from. The issue is the glass is not shoving into the door weatherstrip tightly enough to create a good seal. What you can do, and has helped my noise, is to use some dry silicone spray on a paper towel and lubricate the rubber tracks and the rubber "slot" at the top of the door for the glass.

If there was a simpler way of just turning up the torque on the window regulator motor that'd also help but I'm not familiar (yet) with what's available via techstream.

Also a lil silicone on the inside of the glass at that part which interfaces the rubber helps. It silent afterwards, but only temporary. There is still a smidge of noise afterwards.

To prove it's the glass have the door open with the glass all the way down. Trigger the window to go up automatically and when the mirror is nearly up grab it with the palm of your hands and pull it up to the top. Take it for a drive. It should become be nice and quiet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mangsailor:
oraine16 (01-28-23), websurfer (11-25-22)
Old 11-25-22, 06:21 AM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Isolate the source of noise by wedging something between the 2 different surfaces and see if the wind noise disappears.

Try using something like paper towel ontop the glass before closing it.
Old 11-25-22, 09:28 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
I have one in my LUX, and I know where it comes from. The issue is the glass is not shoving into the door weatherstrip tightly enough to create a good seal. What you can do, and has helped my noise, is to use some dry silicone spray on a paper towel and lubricate the rubber tracks and the rubber "slot" at the top of the door for the glass.

If there was a simpler way of just turning up the torque on the window regulator motor that'd also help but I'm not familiar (yet) with what's available via techstream.

Also a lil silicone on the inside of the glass at that part which interfaces the rubber helps. It silent afterwards, but only temporary. There is still a smidge of noise afterwards.

To prove it's the glass have the door open with the glass all the way down. Trigger the window to go up automatically and when the mirror is nearly up grab it with the palm of your hands and pull it up to the top. Take it for a drive. It should become be nice and quiet.
Is it something the dealer can fix under warranty or it's the design issue?
Old 11-25-22, 09:35 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 865 Likes on 652 Posts

Does your car have 3M type plastic film protection, specifically on the outside mirror housing?
As weird as it sounds we had an LS that whistled loudly and discovered the template cut to shape
film piece had been installed about 1/2 inch inboard on the housing. Was not flapping or raised off
the painted surface. Removed it and silence was golden. Replaced it in the correct location and it
was fine.
The following users liked this post:
websurfer (11-25-22)
Old 11-25-22, 09:42 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by mcomer
Does your car have 3M type plastic film protection, specifically on the outside mirror housing?
As weird as it sounds we had an LS that whistled loudly and discovered the template cut to shape
film piece had been installed about 1/2 inch inboard on the housing. Was not flapping or raised off
the painted surface. Removed it and silence was golden. Replaced it in the correct location and it
was fine.
I have PPF on the A pillar but it's not flapping though. I have it on both left and right sides.

Last edited by websurfer; 11-25-22 at 09:45 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 11-25-22, 10:23 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by websurfer
Is it something the dealer can fix under warranty or it's the design issue?
I think the dealer would fix it. It may just need a calibration. In any case do what I suggested to prove it's the window and then ask the dealer about it.
Old 11-25-22, 11:53 AM
websurfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
I think the dealer would fix it. It may just need a calibration. In any case do what I suggested to prove it's the window and then ask the dealer about it.
I was disappointed with my Lexus dealer on the service side to be honest. They replaced the weather striping and didn't tuck it all the way in and say the wind noise is gone but after fixing that weather striping, the noise is back. I responded to the service advisor and he didn't reply to me.
Old 11-26-22, 03:47 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by websurfer
I was disappointed with my Lexus dealer on the service side to be honest. They replaced the weather striping and didn't tuck it all the way in and say the wind noise is gone but after fixing that weather striping, the noise is back. I responded to the service advisor and he didn't reply to me.
Here's what the manual says about recalibrating the power window auto up/down. I would do Procedure B or C.... maybe try B first and see if that helps because that's the one the manual says to use if any rubber has been replaced and the regulator motor has been reused. Below is the copy/paste from the '14 manual (I just downloaded it, otherwise I would've done it on my car or recommended it earlier):

HINT:
When the battery is replaced, it is not necessary to initialize the power window regulator motor assembly.

(a) Perform initialization according to the table below.

Initialization method when a power window regulator motor assembly has been replaced with a new one.
Procedure A

Initialization method when a power window regulator motor assembly has been removed/installed or a door glass and/or door glass run etc. have been removed/installed or replaced with new ones.
HINT: Use this procedure if the power window regulator motor assembly has been reused.
Procedure B

Initialization method when a reverse rotation malfunction occurs due to a sliding resistance change resulting from adjustment etc.
Procedure C

Procedure A
(1) Connect the battery and turn the engine switch to on (IG) .
(2) Fully open the window by fully pushing down the multiplex network master switch assembly, power window regulator switch assembly or rear power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 1 second or more after the window is fully opened.
(3) Fully close the power window by fully pulling up the multiplex network master switch assembly, power window regulator switch assembly or rear power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 1 second or more after the window is fully closed to reset the glass position.

Procedure B
(1) Connect the battery and turn the engine switch to on (IG).
(2) Fully close the power window by fully pulling up the multiplex network master switch assembly, power
window regulator switch assembly or rear power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 6 seconds or more after the window is fully closed (if the power window does not move or stops halfway even when the switch is fully pulled up, release the switch and fully pull it again).
(3) Fully open the window by pushing down the multiplex network master switch assembly, power window regulator switch assembly or rear power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 1 second or more after the window is fully opened.
(4) Release the multiplex network master switch assembly, power window regulator switch assembly or rear power window regulator switch assembly. Then fully push down and hold the switch for 4 seconds or more.
(5) Fully close the power window by fully pulling up the multiplex network master switch assembly, power window regulator switch assembly or rear power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 1 second or more after the window is fully closed to reset the glass position and complete initialization.

Procedure C
(1) Connect the battery and turn the engine switch to on (IG).
(2) Fully open the window by fully pushing down the multiplex network master switch assembly, power window regulator switch assembly or rear power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 1 second or more after the window is fully opened.
(3) Fully close the power window by fully pulling up the multiplex network master switch assembly, power window regulator switch assembly or rear power window regulator switch assembly, and hold the switch for 1 second or more after the window is fully closed to reset the glass position and complete initialization.

Last edited by Mangsailor; 11-26-22 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Scheisse format!
The following 3 users liked this post by Mangsailor:
bclexus (11-26-22), oraine16 (01-28-23), websurfer (11-27-22)
Old 11-26-22, 09:35 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

FYI, I just did procedure B on my car a few moments ago. I made a small mark on the window and also in the B pillar where it matched up. I ran the window up/down a few times and it was repeatable and came to the same spot.

I then did the reinitialization of the window, afterwards there was an obvious change in the sound of the window hitting the weatherstripping, but my match marks lined up about the same (not an exact science, but the noise was obvious).

I ran it down the road and got up to 65. The wind noise from my window is gone (I know it was there by doing what I suggested to you before with grabbing the window and helping it up, and it diminished). However. There is still a noise from the mirrors (probably was already there), and I know this because when I heard it I folded them in via the switch and it was absolutely quiet.

So, what you may hear is turbulence between the mirror and the body? I have no idea what to do to get rid of that either. You'd be better off though to try the procedure above (Note, it is done with the engine off but the ignition ON [2-presses on the start button]) and see if there's any difference for you. It's a lot quieter in my car I will say.