GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Weird steering feel after changing the steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-22, 01:43 AM
GSawei
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Weird steering feel after changing the steering wheel.

For my GS200T, I replaced the RC steering wheel, because I don't like the large size of the GS steering wheel, so I replaced the RC steering wheel, which is much smaller.
But after I replaced the steering wheel, due to the different gears of the steering wheel, I could only turn it to one side to install it, and then the steering wheel appeared to be off-track, so I did a four-wheel alignment.
And use Techstream to do zero calibration in EMPS and ABS/VSC/TRC.
But this strange feeling still exists. When the steering wheel is turned a little to the left or right, it will not automatically return to the center, as if it has lost the return force in these two sections. I didn't feel this way before changing the steering wheel.
As shown in the picture, it is the data after I have done two calibrations. The above prompt, it seems that the calibration in my EMPS has not been completed? The steering angle is 3070.5, is this abnormal data?
I hope someone who knows this can help me.
EMPS

ABS/VSC/TRC

ABS/VSC/TRC
Old 11-27-22, 06:24 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 219 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by GSawei
But after I replaced the steering wheel, due to the different gears of the steering wheel, I could only turn it to one side to install it.
Please clarify. What do you mean by "different gears of the steering wheel"?

This is only a guess, as I have zero experience with TechStream.

"Steering Angle Sens Sig" reads "NG (1)". What does "NG" mean? Is it possible that you damaged the steering angle sensor while installing the steering wheel?

I am very curious, as I want to do this same upgrade to my 2018, but I am concerned that the controls will not work and being locked out of my instrument cluster menus is unacceptable.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 11-27-22 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-28-22, 01:35 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64

"Steering Angle Sens Sig" reads "NG (1)". What does "NG" mean? Is it possible that you damaged the steering angle sensor while installing the steering wheel?

I am very curious, as I want to do this same upgrade to my 2018, but I am concerned that the controls will not work and being locked out of my instrument cluster menus is unacceptable.
Based on what I read in the other post, the spline pattern of the RC wheel is different than the pattern on the GS.

I think the issue may be that the rack itself is not centered. The rack was off center due to the wheel installation and the alignment seems to be pointed straight due to the tie rod adjustments, but the rack is still off-center. This is just speculation but that's my guess.
Old 11-28-22, 02:14 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

I cannot help you much with the Techstream readouts, but I do recall marking the original location of my steering wheel with a marker before I removed it. This helped with ensuring it was re-installed at the proper index. I do not have any familiarity with the RC gear but if it's different and you intentionally had to install it off-index, your steering wheel is likely not centered correctly and may not be interfacing with the rack properly, causing your wheel to not return to it's true intended location. Did you calibrate the steering wheel after you installed it? If I remember correctly, it's a simple process of rotating the steering wheel all the way to the left, then to the right, and repeat about three times. Someone on this forum will certainly correct me if my memory has faltered.
Old 11-28-22, 02:18 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Does the car have to be rolling when u rotate the steering wheel 3x or can it be done while standing still?
Old 12-02-22, 12:02 AM
GSawei
10th Gear

The spline pattern of the RC wheel is different than the pattern on the GS.
The problem is solved. The data on the picture I sent was generated when I did not drive on the road after doing the zero point calibration with Techstream. In fact, after doing the zero point calibration, I had to drive on the road for a certain distance. It normal data will be displayed. Now my data is all correct!
The following users liked this post:
GrandSedanFan (12-02-22)
Old 12-02-22, 12:02 AM
GSawei
10th Gear

Originally Posted by eddie420
I cannot help you much with the Techstream readouts, but I do recall marking the original location of my steering wheel with a marker before I removed it. This helped with ensuring it was re-installed at the proper index. I do not have any familiarity with the RC gear but if it's different and you intentionally had to install it off-index, your steering wheel is likely not centered correctly and may not be interfacing with the rack properly, causing your wheel to not return to it's true intended location. Did you calibrate the steering wheel after you installed it? If I remember correctly, it's a simple process of rotating the steering wheel all the way to the left, then to the right, and repeat about three times. Someone on this forum will certainly correct me if my memory has faltered.
Wow, there is such a method to calibrate the steering wheel, this is knowledge that I have not learned, thank you very much!
Old 12-02-22, 12:03 AM
GSawei
10th Gear

Originally Posted by BMGS
Based on what I read in the other post, the spline pattern of the RC wheel is different than the pattern on the GS.

I think the issue may be that the rack itself is not centered. The rack was off center due to the wheel installation and the alignment seems to be pointed straight due to the tie rod adjustments, but the rack is still off-center. This is just speculation but that's my guess.
You are right!
Old 12-02-22, 06:42 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

The spline pattern of the RC wheel is different than the pattern on the GS.
The problem is solved. The data on the picture I sent was generated when I did not drive on the road after doing the zero point calibration with Techstream. In fact, after doing the zero point calibration, I had to drive on the road for a certain distance. It normal data will be displayed. Now my data is all correct!

Has your power steering feel returned to normal?
Old 12-05-22, 12:38 AM
GSawei
10th Gear

Has your power steering feel returned to normal?
Yes! normal!
Old 12-05-22, 06:19 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Yes! normal!
Glad to hear it.

Is your car an F-Sport? Do all of your steering wheel controls work? That was my biggest hesitation in doing this modification.
Old 12-06-22, 12:15 AM
GSawei
10th Gear

Glad to hear it.

Is your car an F-Sport? Do all of your steering wheel controls work? That was my biggest hesitation in doing this modification.
Yes, all keys work fine! You can change it with confidence, but I recommend you to change the GSF steering wheel, the steering wheel is thicker and feels better!
Old 12-06-22, 07:15 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Yes, all keys work fine! You can change it with confidence, but I recommend you to change the GSF steering wheel, the steering wheel is thicker and feels better!
Thank you!

I actually prefer a slightly thinner rim - thinner steering wheels transmit more feel.
Old 12-06-22, 07:26 PM
eddie420

Received 629 Likes on 451 Posts

Thank you!

I actually prefer a slightly thinner rim - thinner steering wheels transmit more feel.
For "more feel", go with larger rims and thinner tires.

The following users liked this post:
jgscott (12-06-22)
Old 12-13-22, 02:50 AM
BMGS
Racer

Received 549 Likes on 338 Posts

I did the Techstream calibration for myself and it helped after I did my own front wheel alignment. It seems to have helped more on my GS than NX but it's possible it needs to adapt more.

This is the process I followed: