GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Engine sounds

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-22, 05:35 PM
Seminoles2
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine sounds

I am a new Lexus owner(2013 Lexus GS350 with around 152,000 miles) and I've been going through the forums and there seems to be others with similar issues.

The issues I'm having are a whining sound as I'm going down the road and I'm increasing my speed and it is going through the gear changes which was referenced here: Engine Whine (see Jjmuckley's clip).
The second issue is a loud startup(that has been posted about before on here and most have said its just the direct injection sound but this is pretty loud. It almost sounds like a diesel engine. Others have labeled it as a clatter sound. And when I recorded it I will say its hard to even hear it over the normal engine sound.
Reference 2017 GS350 AWD engine clatter noise during cold morning startup (reference the video posted by Umar22079 as I am hearing the same sound).
I'm really looking to get some answers as I just spent over $1000 on repairs and I'm trying to avoid another $1000 repair bill. If it's not serious then I won't worry but if its something I would need to get checked out then I'll do so. I just don't want to go to the mechanic over something that's a "normal sound".
Sorry if the "does this sound normal" topic gets posted a lot.
But who else can I ask but you guys!!

Here are my clips:
Old 11-28-22, 08:38 AM
tompass
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Also have a '13 GS350. Sounds about the same including the squeaky brakes when cold... Engine cover does muffle the direct injection sounds somewhat. Also I understand that there is a kit to to quiet one of the engine components in area where you you highlighted. There also was a recall or TSB some years back that addressed a whining sound around 50-60 mph.
The following users liked this post:
Seminoles2 (11-28-22)
Old 11-28-22, 09:58 AM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 421 Likes on 243 Posts

Yup, engine sounds normal with hood open minus the engine covers.

The 2nd video is brake squeal at cold start. Best bet is when you replace the brakes, replace with OEM pads and rotors with appropriate shims. Of course proper installation is important as well.

Seminoles2 (11-28-22)
Old 11-28-22, 10:45 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,230 Likes on 1,449 Posts

I made a thread a while ago about plastic covers with foam insulation for the high pressure fuel pump in the engine bay. This makes a minor noticeable decrease to the sewing machine noise, the covers are from the LS but fit the non-hybrid GS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020/876830-engine-fuel-pump-noise-reduction.html?ispreloading=1

Last edited by peasodos; 11-28-22 at 10:48 AM.
Seminoles2 (11-28-22)
Old 11-28-22, 10:54 AM
Seminoles2
10th Gear

Originally Posted by peasodos
I made a thread a while ago about plastic covers with foam insulation for the high pressure fuel pump in the engine bay. This makes a minor noticeable decrease to the sewing machine noise, the covers are from the LS but fit the non-hybrid GS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ispreloading=1
yeah. I saw that thread. I just didn't know if it was the fuel pump making the noise or not.
Old 11-28-22, 06:09 PM
Seminoles2
10th Gear

Originally Posted by tompass
Also have a '13 GS350. Sounds about the same including the squeaky brakes when cold... Engine cover does muffle the direct injection sounds somewhat. Also I understand that there is a kit to to quiet one of the engine components in area where you you highlighted. There also was a recall or TSB some years back that addressed a whining sound around 50-60 mph.
I found the TSB but it was for the AWD version. I didn't find any other TSB. Thanks for letting me know about that though.
tompass (11-29-22)
Old 11-30-22, 02:42 PM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 513 Likes on 273 Posts

One noise that I can likely confirm that it's NOT is the the issue with the vacuum pump. I'm don't seem to hear that in the videos at all. I went through a lot of discussions about noise and videos with the different noises to try to figure out what my noise was. Once I nailed it down, found some documentation about it, I was able to get it repaired at no cost.

I definitely hear the high pressure fuel pump noise (sounds sorta like a sewing machine). Other than what I assume is the brake noise folks are talking about, it sounds pretty normal to me.

The hood and the engine cover makes a huge difference in terms of the amount of noise.
Seminoles2 (11-30-22)
Old 12-01-22, 06:56 AM
lexus4jess
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Seminoles2
I am a new Lexus owner(2013 Lexus GS350 with around 152,000 miles) and I've been going through the forums and there seems to be others with similar issues.

The issues I'm having are a whining sound as I'm going down the road and I'm increasing my speed and it is going through the gear changes which was referenced here: Engine Whine (see Jjmuckley's clip).
The second issue is a loud startup(that has been posted about before on here and most have said its just the direct injection sound but this is pretty loud. It almost sounds like a diesel engine. Others have labeled it as a clatter sound. And when I recorded it I will say its hard to even hear it over the normal engine sound.
Reference 2017 GS350 AWD engine clatter noise during cold morning startup (reference the video posted by Umar22079 as I am hearing the same sound).
I'm really looking to get some answers as I just spent over $1000 on repairs and I'm trying to avoid another $1000 repair bill. If it's not serious then I won't worry but if its something I would need to get checked out then I'll do so. I just don't want to go to the mechanic over something that's a "normal sound".

Here are my clips:
2013 Lexus GS350 cold startup.
Reverse from cold startup - not sure why the brakes squeak like that(only on cold startup)
Engine Rev up and down to idle.
That's normal sound.
Old 12-02-22, 08:27 PM
jeverett72
Intermediate

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Seminoles2

Here are my clips:
2013 Lexus GS350 cold startup.
Reverse from cold startup - not sure why the brakes squeak like that(only on cold startup)
Engine Rev up and down to idle.
I have a 2013 that I bought in 2021 with 34,700 miles. I was worried about the whining sound too when I first got it but turns out that is normal for this engine. I took mine to a guy who specializes in Japanese cars and he said that "clatter" or "ticking/sewing machine" sound is also normal. That is the high pressure fuel pump on these engines and they all make that sound. He let me use his stethiscope on the fuel pump and you can really hear the tick.

Also I moved from TX to NM and my brakes make that squeaky sound when they are cold. So all three are perfectly normal.

Since I bought mine in July 2021 I've put approximately 10k miles on it and taken two long road trips and have had no problems whatsoever.

This is what my engine sounds like (you can't really hear the clattering sound in this clip but mine has it)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Knq...6Tt-vaZlp/view

Last edited by jeverett72; 12-02-22 at 08:32 PM.