GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hitch and scraping

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-22, 11:43 PM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
That OEM hitch/install is built like it's meant to tow 10,000lbs. It's like 3x times reinforced compared to the bolt on hitches we get in the USA. Thanks for the swiss part number, but a jdm part number or UK is what I'm after. I assume this is a discontinued part and low stock worldwide.

This OEM install just looks super clean, this is what I want:

Electrical should be the same except for the plug itself.
There’s relays and other crap, probably for the light bulbs supervision.

Its not really the hitch itself that’s built sturdy, it’s all of the extra reinforcements that really shows how weak the 4GS rear subframe is.
It definitely shows that the 4GS is not meant for towing without those reinforcements.
I am allowed to pull 1500kg with it, but it can probably take a bit more but Swedish laws are pathetic.
I should’ve taken pictures of the tag in the bar itself, probably says maximum tow there but I forgot… And now it’s behind the bumper.

What you show on that picture is exactly what I have with the round Swedish plug.
Mine looks exactly like that.
Here is my thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-4th-gen-2013-2020/988918-lexus-oem-trailer-hitch.html
Old 12-08-22, 12:01 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperTim
Electrical should be the same except for the plug itself.
There’s relays and other crap, probably for the light bulbs supervision.

Its not really the hitch itself that’s built sturdy, it’s all of the extra reinforcements that really shows how weak the 4GS rear subframe is.
It definitely shows that the 4GS is not meant for towing without those reinforcements.
I am allowed to pull 1500kg with it, but it can probably take a bit more but Swedish laws are pathetic.
I should’ve taken pictures of the tag in the bar itself, probably says maximum tow there but I forgot… And now it’s behind the bumper.

What you show on that picture is exactly what I have with the round Swedish plug.
Mine looks exactly like that.
Here is my thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ler-hitch.html
We have aftermarket Class 2 hitch options in the USA that are rated for 3500lb(1587.6kg) that only bolt on. Here is an example:

The OEM hitch is like 3x reinforced with the extra attachment point/adhesive, should be able to take much more weight.
Old 12-08-22, 01:13 AM
ViperTim
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
We have aftermarket Class 2 hitch options in the USA that are rated for 3500lb(1587.6kg) that only bolt on. Here is an example:

The OEM hitch is like 3x reinforced with the extra attachment point/adhesive, should be able to take much more weight.
The HITCH is rated for 1600kg: YES!
But is the rear subframe of the actual car rated for that? That is my concern!
And seeing the Lexus OEM contraption my initial thoughts are NO.
You need to look at what it actually attaches to.
Just because you mount a 1600kg hitch to a bicycle doesn’t mean that it can handle 1600kg towing.
Old 12-08-22, 06:51 AM
Samson
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Rusty hitch
Thanks for the pic. That's about what I'd expect.

Did you install yourself? Anything out of the ordinary, or just follow the instructions? Thanks.

As far as towing is concerned, that is not an issue here. I'll be using my lard-assed decade-old ~60lb Thule T2 and one or two bikes, though maybe I'll eventually upgrade (or downgrade, but it's smaller/lighter) to a 1up.
Old 12-08-22, 02:49 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 314 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Samson
Thanks for the pic. That's about what I'd expect.
Did you install yourself? Anything out of the ordinary, or just follow the instructions? Thanks.
I installed it myself. I had to trim the crash bar with a grinder (the towbar mounts between the crash bar and the car frame) as the crash bar on my Australian GS is a different shape to the American one these towbars are made for. That was the only surprise.
I also had to trim the bumper bar to allow the hitch to poke through. Just take your time.

Originally Posted by Samson
As far as towing is concerned, that is not an issue here. I'll be using my lard-assed decade-old ~60lb Thule T2 and one or two bikes, though maybe I'll eventually upgrade (or downgrade, but it's smaller/lighter) to a 1up.
I use mine for a bike rack. Although I do have a tow ball adaptor I would never tow a trailer, it's only holding on by the crash bar..... it's for this reason I never installed a light connector.