GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Sold my GS for a Macan

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-22 | 12:57 AM
BMGS
Racer

Default Sold my GS for a Macan

I got the itch for something new after a few end-of-year career blessings and I always wanted a Porsche of some sort since before I could drive. I've admired the Panamera since it came out but they hold onto their value way too well. Since we bought my wife's NX200t, I found myself admiring small SUVs and liking 4cyl turbo engines, so I turned my attention to the Macan.

I originally test drove a 2018 GTS and loved it but the mileage was too high and I wanted a warranty, especially if it has air suspension.

I found an 11k mile 2021 CPO dealer demo and liked it a lot. It's just the 4 cyl but it's better than the 2.0 in my GS and I already liked that one. I realize it's the same VAG engine shared across platforms but with the PDK transmission, tuning and exhaust, it fits the setup very well in my opinion.

It has the balance of the 4 year factory warranty plus 2 years after that on the CPO warranty. The PDK transmission is awesome but it was important to have great coverage until I get more comfortable and knowledgeable with the brand. These are supposed to be pretty reliable but the dealer I went to has flatbed service if needed from any location and loaner cars for even an oil change.

I'm picking it up in a few days so I'll enjoy my last time with the GS. I've enjoyed every moment of driving and upgrading it over the past three years. I am grateful for everyone on the forums here for all of their help and guidance. I imagine my wife will stick with Lexus so I'll be around!

I'll post some photos and initial comparisons once I make the swap.

Last edited by BMGS; 12-29-22 at 12:20 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by BMGS:
AJLex19 (12-28-22), Chaos236 (03-12-23), greys0uled (12-29-22), Im2bz2p345 (12-28-22), lostape45 (12-30-22), Nunz (12-28-22), signdetres (12-28-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-28-22 | 01:33 AM
Lead Lap

Let us know how it handles compared to the Gs.
Old 12-28-22 | 03:00 AM
PGA71
Advanced

Your GS was a beauty.
Good luck with the Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by PGA71:
greys0uled (12-29-22), Nunz (12-28-22)
Old 12-28-22 | 04:12 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

The Macan is gorgeous
and reason why you didn’t go with an Audi sq5? Basically same car, bigger engine, more options?
The following users liked this post:
Nunz (12-28-22)
Old 12-28-22 | 07:04 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by 703
Let us know how it handles compared to the Gs.
Will do! Its hard to gauge from mild test drives but I am excited to own an AWD car for the first time. I have Michelin PS4S on the GS so at the limit the GS will come out on top. Not sure how the Porsche chassis/dynamics will fare with lesser tires. I'll have to wait until the stock Porsche Goodyears wear out but I hope they put something decent on there!

Originally Posted by PGA71
Your GS was a beauty.
Good luck with the Porsche.
Thank you, it will be missed!

Originally Posted by Doctj
The Macan is gorgeous
and reason why you didn’t go with an Audi sq5? Basically same car, bigger engine, more options?
Great point but I know I would still want the Porsche. Even if its in the form of a watered-down, corporate SUV, its a brand I always wanted to try out and definitely less of a logical decision. The Audi design doesn't appeal to me as much and in my mind, an Audi wouldn't feel like an upgrade over my GS. I am a big fan of wagons and the Macan design seems almost close to one, especially if lowered, whereas the Audi speaks more SUV to me.
Old 12-28-22 | 07:51 AM
signdetres
Racer

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing more of your impressions once you've spent more time behind the wheel
Old 12-28-22 | 08:20 AM
bloodbean
Rookie

Awesome congratulations! Really curious to see what you think of it compared to your GS. What color is it?

Will you be parting anything out from your GS?
Old 12-28-22 | 09:17 AM
chinee
Racer

Originally Posted by bloodbean
Awesome congratulations! Really curious to see what you think of it compared to your GS. What color is it?

Whoa! And you had just done so many upgrades this year! I’ve been wanting to try out a Porsche as well, reliability seems tops with the brand. The only negative I’ve heard about the Macan is that it’s on the small side. Ingress via the rear doors is supposed to be especially tight.

Finally, Pics! … or it didn’t happen!
Old 12-28-22 | 09:18 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by signdetres
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing pics and hearing more of your impressions once you've spent more time behind the wheel
Thanks! I see that you also went similar path to a performance SUV, how are you liking it?

Originally Posted by bloodbean

Thank you, its black on black, for the third car in a row! I actually had a choice this time but I am a peaks and valleys person when it comes to washing black cars and seeing them get filthy after a few days. It makes life more interesting than just a grey car that looks more consistent.

I have nothing much to part out other than the tuner for the 200t models. I technically could have swapped out the headlights and steering wheel but I didn't want to bait and switch after they appraised the car for the buyback value. I wasn't 100% sure I would buy/sell so I didn't want to put in the effort beforehand.
Old 12-28-22 | 10:08 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BMGS
Thanks! I see that you also went similar path to a performance SUV, how are you liking it?

Thank you, its black on black, for the third car in a row! I actually had a choice this time but I am a peaks and valleys person when it comes to washing black cars and seeing them get filthy after a few days. It makes life more interesting than just a grey car that looks more consistent.

I have nothing much to part out other than the tuner for the 200t models. I technically could have swapped out the headlights and steering wheel but I didn't want to bait and switch after they appraised the car for the buyback value. I wasn't 100% sure I would buy/sell so I didn't want to put in the effort beforehand.
would the valuation diminish if those parts were replaced? Possible the headlights since thats part of an option but I doubt that the steering wheel does (hehehe)

also, congrats
Old 12-28-22 | 10:16 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by byungkuk
would the valuation diminish if those parts were replaced? Possible the headlights since thats part of an option but I doubt that the steering wheel does (hehehe)

also, congrats
Probably not, its going to auction and they probably wouldn't even notice but I'm not a risk taker like that, even for a possible $3K.
Old 12-28-22 | 10:21 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by chinee
Whoa! And you had just done so many upgrades this year! I’ve been wanting to try out a Porsche as well, reliability seems tops with the brand. The only negative I’ve heard about the Macan is that it’s on the small side. Ingress via the rear doors is supposed to be especially tight.

Finally, Pics! … or it didn’t happen!
I know, I did a ton of upgrades, I try not to think of how much I spent lol.

It's definitely tight in the back and feels smaller than even our NX. I'll test it out some more as I get the child seat in there!

I wanted to ask you, do you want a free full size OEM 18" wheel and brand new Michelin PS4 AS tire? I have it in my garage and was going to throw it in the trunk to include with the car. I'm not sure if it will fit the front F-Sport brakes since its an 18" wheel. Let me know by Thursday night and I can set it aside.

Here's a few pics just on the lot. It still needs a full detail and it's getting a polish to see if they can get out the swirl marks from poor washing technique. If not, I'll be glad to break out the DA polisher. I love that it has the factory badge delete as an option. I was considering doing that and I'm glad they made that decision for me.

The wheels are 20x9 and 20x10, they were best of the available models but I can see myself swapping them out after a couple of years. I would love to lower it a bit but I don't want to jeopardize my warranty so I'll have a chat with the right people at the dealer to see what, if anything, is acceptable. I was originally attracted to the models with air suspension so that its super easy to lower and adjust but the ones in my price range didn't have a warranty.

Last edited by BMGS; 12-28-22 at 11:21 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by BMGS:
Chaos236 (03-12-23), greys0uled (12-29-22), Im2bz2p345 (01-09-23), JDR76 (12-28-22), Nunz (12-28-22), signdetres (12-29-22) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-28-22 | 11:17 AM
Nunz
Pit Crew

Congrats on the new Macan, disappointed to see your GS go after all that was done to it.

When are you going to mod the Macan?
The following users liked this post:
bob256k (03-09-23)
Old 12-28-22 | 11:36 AM
BMGS
Racer

Originally Posted by Nunz
Congrats on the new Macan, disappointed to see your GS go after all that was done to it.

When are you going to mod the Macan?
Thank you! My warranty expires in October 2027, so shortly afterwards lol. I would love to do a tune and lowering springs but not worth it considering how much the warranty can be worth.
Old 12-28-22 | 02:37 PM
Nalod
Advanced

LOL, hope the debadger did not have a tune on it!
I too am a big fan of the Macon. Looking at at Macon S with lots of goodies on it. Sport exhaust from factory! Car has a lot of options but 52k miles on it.
Here is my dilemma. I leased the GS at 49k exactly 3 years ago. Went to buy it outright but dealer screwed up and instead of a 2019 it was 2020 and only way they make good was to lease it from MSRP of 60k then discount it. No money down.
The buy out is $28,600. No brainer right? I have 23k miles on it and happy. They offered me 10k to walk away in July. Not sure it holds but Im asking and might have an answer tomorrow. I told my wife weeks ago "If they have Macon S on the lot, its divine intervention".
Phuchs*s sake, they do!
Wife has an audi with 50k miles on it, and its paid for. Lovely 2018 A4 Allroad well equipped she loves. I have another German car in the driveway. I drove various BMW's for years. Enough Teutonic goodness! They are very needy autos!
Greedy me now looking at AWD LS500's. They are in the high 50's and the interiors are quite seductive.
My Fsport KBB trade in reads $41-43,000. My lease buyout is $30,000. Im tickled to buy my Fsport AWD with ML and other goodies for the price and be happy.
But a 2019 Atomic LS AWD with 23 speakers, 2400watts, upgraded leather, lux package, and black interior (my 1st choice) for $56k and only 27k miles on it from is very enticing.
Only downside is they use runflats. MPG is the same as GS. Running costs will be higher no doubt as its an $88k sticker.
Key is to monetize my equity.
This started with the Macon!!!! Good choice.
I had once owned an amazing restored 1974 narrow body 911 Targa from someone who was in a bind and sold it at great loss. Very privative compared to today but a ton of fun. Moved to older home with no garage and that year did not have galvanized body. Sold it well but loved that car!!!!!!
Im really not into modding and prefer to do less and less with cars. Its why we moved to Lexus/Toyota . Reliable quality.
The LS is really a work of art and its taken me time to appreciate the Japanese expression of design over the teutonic German engineering.
My GS really has grown on me. The car just fits great when im in it. That is what I want from an LS. We'll see.

Quick Reply: Sold my GS for a Macan