GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Best model years for under $25k or so? Any years to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-23, 04:30 PM
nquinn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best model years for under $25k or so? Any years to avoid?

I'm looking at used GS350's, and deciding what years might make sense to look in to or avoid.

Main concerns:
- Any major reliability issues, for example a first model year on a changeover
- Is the 2GR-FKS worth paying more for vs. the 2GR-FSE? (change in 2015 or 2016 I believe)
- I want to be able to use carplay, but am aware that it wasn't supported until 2019 or so. Ideally the model would have a sub-$1000 way to replace the nav as needed to support carplay
- Anything else special about the design cutover in 2015? It sounds like some safety features were added which might be nice to have.
- Other notes: I don't care about rims at all and actually prefer 18" over 19" rims for ride comfort. A nicer sound system would be nice if it's a modest change in price.

Some kelly blue book private party prices, though not sure how accurate they are. All assume standard GS350 RWD and 100k miles in "very good (28% of cars)" condition:
- 2014: $16,194
- 2015: $17,812
- 2016: $20,506

All are +- $1000, but I question if I could actually find these prices on the real market. Also open to spending a bit more if a certain model year later than this was considerably nicer, but I don't think they've changed much.
Old 01-14-23, 04:38 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

My two owner (1st was a lease) 2015 GS350 F Sport had only 47,000+ miles and was in pristine shape when I bought it in November of 2021. CarFax showed the ML stereo and brake pads were replaced under warranty around 11,000 miles. I have no complaints, great car. I have always believed that proper maintenance is the key to having a satisfying and reliable car. Good luck in the hunt. It’s even got the persimmon colored seats!
Old 01-14-23, 05:40 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

There are no bad years of the 4GS. Note, CarPlay isn’t offered on any year.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDR76:
Im2bz2p345 (01-15-23), sbowden99 (01-14-23)
Old 01-14-23, 07:18 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

@nquinn There aren't any significant reliability issues with the 4GS. I've only experienced minor issues in my 8year ownership of a '13 non F sport (analog clock went bad; wind noise from sunroof fixed via new weather-strip; chirpy/noisy serpentine belt). However, I have 68k miles on the odometer.

The F-Sports have active adjustable suspension and those components tend to be pricey if they go bad. RWD F-Sports have bigger brakes up front which are also pricier. 19" wheels w/sportier tires are also more expensive. Moral of the story: F-Sports in general have higher overall maintenance costs.

I think the car market is still a bit overpriced, but the correction is slowly happening this year. You're correct that the 2016s have the optional safety system+ and updated engine and exterior/interior refresh. Although, you'll be hard pressed to find a higher mileage 2016 miles for $20k. Also, worth noting that the 2015 F-Sport seems to be the most aggressively tuned in terms of its suspension.

The general comment i've made with this type of question is buy the lowest mileage, best maintained GS that fits your needs/budget.

Here is an excellent read/recent thread on this very topic by some of the most experienced 4GS owners around: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-gs-350-a.html

Post up some pics when you do pull the trigger!!
The following users liked this post:
PGA71 (01-14-23)
Old 01-15-23, 07:51 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,495 Posts

@nquinn - In my opinion there is no best model year engine-wise, just be aware that in 2016 Lexus had a body refresh update, and some model years had standard features like electric trunk opener/closer and full NAV screen added.

The GS 350 is a solid, well-built and extremely reliable car. I suggest you learn what features were standard with the various models (i.e. F-Sport, Luxury, Premium) and what options were available (and often installed) for the various models.

Also, do some research to become aware of which models are likely to have issues with brakes (e.g. brake squeal, brake pad wear, 3-Piece front brake rotors) and the AVS struts for the adaptive variable suspension.

Good luck finding a clean, well-maintained GS 350 in your preferred color combination choice!
sbowden99 (01-15-23)
Old 01-15-23, 10:34 AM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

Our 2013 F Sport has the 6 speed. I have driven maybe 2 newer cars with the 8 speed; is seems to hunt for a gear. I prefer our car.
Perhaps others with more varied experience can chime in.
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
bclexus (01-15-23), Im2bz2p345 (01-16-23)
Old 01-15-23, 11:27 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

The one I would want to avoid 13-20 would be one the owners did only 10k oil chnages, no other fluid exchanges, no plug change at 60k+ and so on. At a budget of $25k to buy, you are likely looking at a 13-15 maybe 16 with higher mileage in this still well over inflated car price time.

Something else highly expensive you want to check not mention so far would be, the heat/ac vents to sure all are blowing hot or all cold. There were some known problems with the Servo vent motors on some. Also the F Sport front brake pad sqeal noise problem can be expensive dependng on the brake fix options you choose. One last not metioned was some that had leaking Struts prematurly even. There is no perfect used car, but the GS is 95% better than most out there.
Old 01-15-23, 05:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Our 2013 F Sport has the 6 speed. I have driven maybe 2 newer cars with the 8 speed; is seems to hunt for a gear. I prefer our car.
Perhaps others with more varied experience can chime in.
Agree! The 6-speed transmission is wonderful and doesn't have the habit to 'hunt' a gear like an 8-speed with the wider gearing ratios.

So, for the benefit of the OP, the 2013 model year and AWD models have the 6-speed. In 2014 Lexus started putting the 8-speed transmission in all non-AWD GS 350 models.
Im2bz2p345 (01-16-23)
Old 01-16-23, 11:59 AM
Jakerin
Instructor

My 8 speed tranny works perfectly.
Old 01-16-23, 12:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jakerin
My 8 speed tranny works perfectly.
I'm glad you're happy with how it 'works' and the gear hunting doesn't bother you...
Old 01-16-23, 12:49 PM
gs350noob
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I'm glad you're happy with how it 'works' and the gear hunting doesn't bother you...
I feel you on the 6 vs 8. I drove a 2015 RWD and found the driving weird. I don't want to have to mash my foot to the floor to get response. The 6 zooms predictably and satisfyingly from my experience, more is not always better.
bclexus (01-16-23)
Old 01-17-23, 10:57 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 301 Likes on 187 Posts

I just sold my 2020 with just 24k miles. AWD sport with 6 speed.

The right car/mile/color equipment in either transmission should do the trick. Its not like these cars freak out and don't pick a gear. There are some situation where it happens.
I moved to a 2019 LS500 and read by GS posters upon doing this about "hunting for gears" as if it was some awful thing and I should not go to the LS. My new car has 10speed. I have read technically its 6 speed with 4 over drives.
In sport mode I have had this happen. Few times its when I changed my tactic, for example Im accelorating and then settle to say 55, then I make a very aggresive lane change and want it to kick down and haul ***! The car hesitated briefly. My car is twin turbo and has some gear choices to sort out or is "hunting". Thats my LS, the GS is not turbo and I did have 6 gears. was it an issue? Was it a deal breaker? Dear god no! If these trannys are adaptive then we are still in the learning stages. Might go both ways!
I have a manual trans car also and never use my paddle shifters on the Lexus.
I tested the 8speed GS and it was not a deal killer. I wanted AWD and the GS with that never got the 8speed.
Im only sharing my experience and not to indict the GS in any manner and offer that you test drive both if it is really important to you. The GS in F sport is really very good at changing personalities at the flick of a button. The adaptive suspension is really quite good and not overly problematic.
The GS was a wonderful car for me and cannot say enough good things about it. The fit and finish is excellent! Very knowledgeable crowd here. Just understand those who own what they have advocate for that more often than not.
gs350noob (01-17-23)
Old 01-17-23, 03:26 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Originally Posted by bclexus
No gear hunting whatsoever. I’ve driven a couple cars with VCTs and hated them. Every time I pressed on the gas, even slightly, the tranny would hunt up a lower gear and then often times would upshift to where it was to begin with almost immediately. Speed and acceleration didn’t seem to matter. My 8 speed doesn’t do that at all. It operates much like the 6 speed trannies my 06 high performance GM cars did.
Old 01-17-23, 04:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jakerin
No gear hunting whatsoever. I’ve driven a couple cars with VCTs and hated them. Every time I pressed on the gas, even slightly, the tranny would hunt up a lower gear and then often times would upshift to where it was to begin with almost immediately. Speed and acceleration didn’t seem to matter. My 8 speed doesn’t do that at all. It operates much like the 6 speed trannies my 06 high performance GM cars did.
All 8-speed transmissions in the Lexus GS 350 'hunt' gears. It's not a situation where some GS 350s with 8-speed transmissions do it, and others do not. For some reason you just haven't noticed it, or you are oblivious to it.
Old 01-17-23, 04:34 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,320 Likes on 1,051 Posts

If have not driven the diffrence in the 6 vs 8, may not realize the 8 speed is. Also some are confused about the funtions, confusing the drive by wire throttle delay, and trans kick down delay response.
bclexus (01-17-23)

Quick Reply: Best model years for under $25k or so? Any years to avoid?