GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Replaced Right Outisde Mirror - BSD Errors

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23, 12:23 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 401 Likes on 283 Posts
Default Replaced Right Outisde Mirror - BSD Errors

Housingless mirror that still works fine.
I broke my passenger side (right) mirror housing backing into the garage on Friday the 13th. It didn't break the glass but it broke all the top part plastic. That's the painted housing, the black housing and the inner pot metal piece it all bolts to. I found a compatible one on ebay for cheap, non-OEM, that said it was heated, BSD, turn signal and puddle light. I bought it and a can of rattle can paint the proper Metro (Meteor) Blue to paint it.

It took a week to get all the things together and mask it off but I finally had a warm enough day to paint and clear it. It came out looking pretty decent except the shiny black plastic on the OEM mirror is matte black on the new mirror.

So, I have it all mounted and installed. The mirror moves, the blinker and puddle like works but when I fire the car up it immediately gives me the BSD (Blind Spot Detection) error. The light on the mirror doesn't light up like the one on the driver's side.

I emailed the manufacturer and they said it may need to be recalibrated. Lord, I hope not. The old one, despite being naked without a cover, still worked just fine. I drove it around for a few days until I got the parts in and BSD worked without issue.

Are they yanking my chain or does the BSD really have to be recalibrated after the mirror is replaced?
Old 01-30-23, 01:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

I wish you the best of luck finding a fix and hope you find an answer soon.

Like you I also had to replace my mirror , but lucked out by finding an OEM white one ( that looked like trash ) at a junker ( car-part.com ) that cleaned up nice with no issues.

The following users liked this post:
Knucklebus (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 01:50 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Seen this problem a million times on CL. Seems our cars it's a year compatibility issue. Someone should make a DIY on it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ing-light.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...k-anymore.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lp-please.html
Knucklebus (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 05:33 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgscott
Seen this problem a million times on CL. Seems our cars it's a year compatibility issue. Someone should make a DIY on it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ing-light.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...k-anymore.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lp-please.html
Looks like I'm going to return it as not as ordered and see if I can rebuild my old one. I ordered a top painted cover and black plastic surround from Bell Lexus. All I have to do is repair one of the broken arms on the mount. I think I can use those aluminum brazing rods to fix it. If not, a whole lot of JB Weld should do the trick.

Now, if I can just return the spray paint that wasn't a good match.
Old 01-30-23, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

If it's internal and no one will see it, I've had success welding plastic with a soldering iron.

Knucklebus (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 05:48 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by 909
If it's internal and no one will see it, I've had success welding plastic with a soldering iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kibSo9JqWyo&t=78s
No, it shattered it into many pieces. The outer cover has a bad crack and would have to be painted. The inner piece around the mirror is broken into a dozen pieces, some of them I didn't find. Both pieces have lots of tabs broken off. The only piece that didn't break was the puddle light and the turn signal light.
Old 01-30-23, 06:04 PM
Intermediate

It's too bad it's not the driver's side , because I have a spare I don't need anymore.

At least your new mirror will look brand new with perfect paint.

Post some pics when you're done.
Old 01-30-23, 06:15 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
Looks like I'm going to return it as not as ordered and see if I can rebuild my old one. I ordered a top painted cover and black plastic surround from Bell Lexus. All I have to do is repair one of the broken arms on the mount. I think I can use those aluminum brazing rods to fix it. If not, a whole lot of JB Weld should do the trick.

Now, if I can just return the spray paint that wasn't a good match.
I think this is the route you could have gone first since most of the mirrors functions were working and the mirror itself wasn't cracked or damage. For less than $100 i'm sure your getting the OEM outer components and its factory paint matched to that awesome meteor blue color.

Its better to have a working, repaired OEM mirror over the aftermarket headache anyway!
Knucklebus (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 06:52 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I think this is the route you could have gone first since most of the mirrors functions were working and the mirror itself wasn't cracked or damage. For less than $100 i'm sure your getting the OEM outer components and its factory paint matched to that awesome meteor blue color.

Its better to have a working, repaired OEM mirror over the aftermarket headache anyway!
My first thought was to rebuild the mirror and paint it. Well, when I started taking it apart and found out the inner structure was broken, I started looking at alternatives. Had a used one in the right color been available on eBay, I'd have bought it. I thought buying a paint-to-match with a rattle can of 8W3 paint was going to be quicker and easier. My masking and painting skills aren't too bad, especially on small parts. Supposedly, this was mixed to match paint but it looks way too dark and a tad on the purple side for me. I'm a little colorblind but if I can tell a difference, anyone could.

I'm sure returning a painted mirror is going to be another exercise is frustration but I'm going to give it a try. It isn't my fault they sold a mirror as paint-to-match with the features I checked off. I was going to swap my mirror and wiring harness into the new housing but the screwed up color makes that a non-starter.

At any rate, I'll get it done, one way or another. I've spent more and got less worse than this.

Gratuitous damage pics for your cringing pleasure.

Broken tab on internal support.

broken pieces.

Mismatched paint color, too dark.
Old 01-31-23, 08:51 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

You can buy the entire plastic housing from a Lexus dealer for less than $100, perfect paint match from the factory, don't waste your time with aftermarket crap.

Here is the driver side for sale, just contact them and ask about the passenger side in whatever color you need:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233918085902

Knucklebus (01-31-23)
Old 01-31-23, 09:06 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by peasodos
You can buy the entire plastic housing from a Lexus dealer for less than $100, perfect paint match from the factory, don't waste your time with aftermarket crap.

Here is the driver side for sale, just contact them and ask about the passenger side in whatever color you need:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233918085902

You are a few messages behind. I ordered it yesterday morning. They did not have my color on the eBay shop but did online.
​​​
Old 01-31-23, 09:43 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
You are a few messages behind. I ordered it yesterday morning. They did not have my color on the eBay shop but did online.
​​​
I see now. I'm like a week behind on the 4GS forum.
Knucklebus (01-31-23)
Old 02-02-23, 07:47 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

The cover arrives today. I tried JB Weld first. We will see if it holds once I start putting it back together.

Tab with JB Weld repair.
Old 02-02-23, 08:48 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Upon closer examination, this mirror has been cracked and painted before. The place I cracked it has body filler in it and on the inside there are two cracks toward the bottom that are filled and don't appear on the outside.

I knew it had some paint work on the passenger side when I bought it but now I know why it was so fragile. At least it will be better than when I bought it.

Filler and cracks on the inside. Only the top (top right in picture) is visible on the outside.
Old 02-02-23, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Looks good. Hope it holds. Usually needs 16-24 hours to fully cure.
Sometimes a light scuffing followed by a solvent cleaning helps with bond strength.
Knucklebus (02-02-23)

Quick Reply: Replaced Right Outisde Mirror - BSD Errors