GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rearview Mirror teardown

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-23 | 08:24 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Default Rearview Mirror teardown

Anyone have some methods on how to crack open the clamshell around the mirror? I have a couple things I'd like to do to mine:

1- Check the circuitry to find ignition power, and then use this to power the homelink board. This way the module is not always powered by the battery and would be some security for others that park their cars outside their homes.

2- I'm going to put some window tint over the sunlight sensor, this will help the dimming function to be less sensitive to overhead streetlights when driving at night. At the moment it keeps turning off in certain places I frequent. Idiots with high beams on all the time shine right back even though it's "dark" out. (I've got a 20% sample taped over it at the moment and will be testing this tonight. I also have a 5% piece that I'll double over if 20 is too much)

Last edited by Mangsailor; 02-04-23 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-04-23 | 09:29 AM
Intermediate

Interested as well. Been using the same JDM Broadway 400mm rearview mirror for years and want to trick the mirror to stay on while the car is on.
Old 02-05-23 | 02:36 PM
EAST
Advanced

Not quite the reply you're looking for, but have you thought of maybe unpinning/cutting the 12v constant wire, and adding a jumper from the 12v switched wire/pin over to the "12v constant" pin. Seems like that would give you a similar end result for the first item, though that doesn't help with the second item.

That's assuming pinout is similar to what is mentioned here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tallation.html
Old 02-05-23 | 03:04 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mangsailor
Anyone have some methods on how to crack open the clamshell around the mirror? I have a couple things I'd like to do to mine:

1- Check the circuitry to find ignition power, and then use this to power the homelink board. This way the module is not always powered by the battery and would be some security for others that park their cars outside their homes.

2- I'm going to put some window tint over the sunlight sensor, this will help the dimming function to be less sensitive to overhead streetlights when driving at night. At the moment it keeps turning off in certain places I frequent. Idiots with high beams on all the time shine right back even though it's "dark" out. (I've got a 20% sample taped over it at the moment and will be testing this tonight. I also have a 5% piece that I'll double over if 20 is too much)
I took one apart before. Just used plastic razor blades, insert under the edge of the joint and worked my way around the mirror, the two parts are clipped together.
Old 02-05-23 | 05:02 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by peasodos
I took one apart before. Just used plastic razor blades, insert under the edge of the joint and worked my way around the mirror, the two parts are clipped together.
OK, then I'll give that a shot some time. I'd rather not bugger up or break it obviously. Any heads-up is helpful.

Originally Posted by EAST
Not quite the reply you're looking for, but have you thought of maybe unpinning/cutting the 12v constant wire, and adding a jumper from the 12v switched wire/pin over to the "12v constant" pin. Seems like that would give you a similar end result for the first item, though that doesn't help with the second item.

That's assuming pinout is similar to what is mentioned here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tallation.html
The issue is that homelink requires in most other models constant 12v for memory, 12v switched for the enable, and a ground. If I pull the constant 12v, I may lose presets. So that's why I want to get to the board inside and check to see what I can work with there. But thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-15-23 | 12:34 PM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

So, I'll say something around 10-20% tint on the light sensor is what I prefer to get the mirror to dim when I want. Heres some shots from the evening twilight yesterday. The darker one I was facing away from the sun set. The lighter was when I faced towards the sunset, but had a fool with his brights on.

Later in the evening while downtown the rearview stayed tinted the whole time, even with the streetlights on us. It was perfect. In the mid-day sun or when overcast it's still enough light to have unshaded mirrors.

Very happy with this, but I want to apply the tint on the sensor directly and have it stay there. When I open the mirror up (eventually) I'll update this.