GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

The SOS light

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-23, 08:27 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default The SOS light

Driving home tonight I noticed the red SOS light in the overhead was lit up. Can’t recall ever seeing it before. When I pressed it a recording came on saying my subscription had run out and ‘she’ was dialing someone…etc etc. Then, the music stayed off for about five minutes before the music started and everything returned to normal. The light remains on so? Is this something like a Lexus OnStar?
Old 02-06-23, 04:43 AM
CelicaJerr
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't mention your model year, but earlier GS model years (13-17 I believe) have 3G modules that no longer work, so likely it was trying to call out and couldn't which tied up your music in preperation for a phone call that won't happen.
Old 02-06-23, 06:51 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 888 Likes on 668 Posts

When the Safety Connect Telematic system is working and enrolled the Green light on the left is on solid.
When the system is connected and you can hear either the on board voice or an operators voice the Green light is blinking.
When you are not subscribed (your choice 2018 and newer) or (discontinued 3G carrier 2010 - 2017) the light(s) are dark.
The Red light on the right side indicates a problem with the specific vehicle and the telematic system.
Old 02-06-23, 07:21 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,299 Likes on 1,638 Posts

@Jakerin - If you have the Lexus Enform Safety Connect Emergency Services subscription, the green LED is normally lit to indicate the system service is active.

In my 2018 GS450h when I first start the engine the red SOS Emergency Assistance Button light on the overhead console comes on and the small red LED light beside the SOS Emergency Assistance Button comes on for a brief second or two (as a 'check' that it works much like all the instrument cluster lights light up as a 'check' when first starting the car), then the green LED light beside the SOS Emergency Assistance Button comes on and remains on. The green LED light remains on if the system service is active.

The Lexus Enform SOS Safety Connect (Emergency Call) works over cellular service (originally over 3G cellular service, but 3G cellular is to become obsolete by mobile providers, if it hasn't already become phased out by some or most providers.)

Lexus states the following pertaining to 3G cellular service being terminated by some providers:

The
navigation system will not be impacted by 3G network termination.
Will there be any impact to Lexus Enform App Suite functionality? No, Lexus Enform App Suite does not require the vehicle's 3G network.

LEXUS 3G WIRELESS SERVICES UPDATE

As for the Lexus Enform Safety Connect LED lights:

Lexus Enform Safety Connect LED Light Indicators:
When the power switch is turned to ON mode, the red indicator light comes on
for 2 seconds then turns off. Afterward, the green indicator light comes on, indicating
that the service is active.
The following indicator light patterns indicate specific system usage conditions:
● Green indicator light on = Active service
● Green indicator light flashing = Safety Connect call in process
● Red indicator light (except at vehicle start-up) = System malfunction (contact your Lexus dealer)
● No indicator light (off) = Safety Connect service not active

I hope this helps and answers your questions...

Last edited by bclexus; 02-06-23 at 08:05 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 02-06-23, 08:04 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jakerin
Driving home tonight I noticed the red SOS light in the overhead was lit up. Can’t recall ever seeing it before. When I pressed it a recording came on saying my subscription had run out and ‘she’ was dialing someone…etc etc. Then, the music stayed off for about five minutes before the music started and everything returned to normal. The light remains on so?

@Jakerin - You said; "The light remains on so?". The devil is always in the details! So, which light are you referring to - the small red LED light or the SOS Emergency Assistance Button light?

Last edited by bclexus; 02-06-23 at 08:56 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 02-06-23, 10:56 AM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

It’s a 2015 GS350 F Sport and the red SOS light stayed on. No other light of any color was on.
Old 02-06-23, 12:05 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jakerin
It’s a 2015 GS350 F Sport and the red SOS light stayed on. No other light of any color was on.
The red SOS button will always be lit as long as the car is turned-on and started, but when neither small indicator light is lit that means the Safety Connect on your 2015 GS 350 is not active.

Lexus Enform Safety Connect LED Light Indicators:
When the power switch is turned to ON mode, the red indicator light comes on
for 2 seconds then turns off. Afterward, the green indicator light comes on, indicating
that the service is active.
The following indicator light patterns indicate specific system usage conditions:
● Green indicator light on = Active service
● Green indicator light flashing = Safety Connect call in process
● Red indicator light (except at vehicle start-up) = System malfunction (contact your Lexus dealer)
No indicator light (off) = Safety Connect service not active