GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tires and pads for track

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-23, 07:55 PM
Tmcmannis1
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and pads for track

So I took the gs350 out to VIR this weekend and went full send both days. Two things I learned: One, my Bridgestone all seasons suck for track use: and two, the Powerstop Extreme pads were only extreme in the amount of material they coated my wheels in turning silver completely black. My question is if I get a separate set of wheels with track tires, what tires would you recommend? And second, looking around for track pads Im having a really hard time finding pads for track use- are there track pads out there and if so where can I find them? Thanks!
Old 02-19-23, 09:19 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts

What are you looking for in a "track" tire? Max grip, breakaway, wear, streetability etc.

Did you lose brakes? If so, how quickly?

Carbotech claims to sell pads for our cars - call them to confirm fitment before ordering. All of the track guys I know like their Carbotechs.

If you are serious about tracking your car, the GS-F calipers and rotors will mostly bolt up - the rear calipers require a bracket from 350phi. The total cost for this conversion is around $2,200.00 in parts, including the 350phi bracket. However, I don't know that your stock wheels will clear GS-F brakes, so you will likely have the additional cost of wheels.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 02-19-23 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-20-23, 02:58 AM
Tmcmannis1
10th Gear

Originally Posted by panyo64
What are you looking for in a "track" tire? Max grip, breakaway, wear, streetability etc.

Did you lose brakes? If so, how quickly?

Carbotech claims to sell pads for our cars - call them to confirm fitment before ordering. All of the track guys I know like their Carbotechs.

If you are serious about tracking your car, the GS-F calipers and rotors will mostly bolt up - the rear calipers require a bracket from 350phi. The total cost for this conversion is around $2,200.00 in parts, including the 350phi bracket. However, I don't know that your stock wheels will clear GS-F brakes, so you will likely have the additional cost of wheels.
So I do need to clarify, I am budgeting for a dedicated track car. However that is 1 to 2 years out depending. So in the mean time I am looking to take the lexus to 3-4 events a year. That being said I dont want to go too crazy with it. As for tires Im thinking something with a good bit more grip, but not wanting to go full slicks. Every corner around the track my tires were screaming around the entire turn, so I definitely want some more grip as I had to keep rotating the rear end around. My plan would be to buy some dedicated wheels and keep the tires on that set of wheels in the garage as dedicated track wheels. Also, what the widest I can go on tires without having to start tearing into my wheel well to make room?

A few guys at the track mentioned carbotechs so I will definitely be looking into those too. I did see EBC has yellow pads which look like they might work, but am curious what others experience with these have been. I was running Powerstop extreme pads this past weekend, and they started chattering /shuddering towards the end of the day one on stock rotors...they also turned my wheels completely black by noon on day two, and was not able to go the last run of the day because the shuddering was so bad.
Old 02-21-23, 06:59 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tmcmannis1
So I do need to clarify, I am budgeting for a dedicated track car. However that is 1 to 2 years out depending. So in the mean time I am looking to take the lexus to 3-4 events a year. That being said I dont want to go too crazy with it. As for tires Im thinking something with a good bit more grip, but not wanting to go full slicks. Every corner around the track my tires were screaming around the entire turn, so I definitely want some more grip as I had to keep rotating the rear end around. My plan would be to buy some dedicated wheels and keep the tires on that set of wheels in the garage as dedicated track wheels. Also, what the widest I can go on tires without having to start tearing into my wheel well to make room?

A few guys at the track mentioned carbotechs so I will definitely be looking into those too. I did see EBC has yellow pads which look like they might work, but am curious what others experience with these have been. I was running Powerstop extreme pads this past weekend, and they started chattering /shuddering towards the end of the day one on stock rotors...they also turned my wheels completely black by noon on day two, and was not able to go the last run of the day because the shuddering was so bad.
Most all seasons are not good for track work. Tire choice is about how much grip you are looking for, how poor treadwear you can tolerate. Do you want to be able to rotate the car still or do you want maximum possible grip? Do you intend to do wet track days or drive to and from the track on your track wheels? It is difficult to provide recommendations without further clarification. Any summer tire will have a lot more grip than your all seasons.

By chattering I assume you mean vibrating. That is a thermal capacity issue. When the pads got too hot, they started transferring additional material to the rotors unevenly. Was the vibration from the front, the rear, or both?

I have not looked at EBC pads in a long time because 15 years ago, when I first started modding cars, EBCs were notorious for chewing up rotors.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that it GS-F wheels with GS-F factory sized tires may not fit in the front without a spacer - the tire may rub against the knuckle.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 04-02-23 at 05:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tmcmannis1 (04-02-23)
Old 02-21-23, 08:44 AM
Tmcmannis1
10th Gear

Originally Posted by panyo64
Most all seasons are not good for track work. You'd probably be fine stepping up to GS-F sized summer tires, but again, tire choice is about how much grip you are looking for, how poor treadwear you can tolerate. Do you want to be able to rotate the car still or do you want maximum possible grip? Do you intend to do wet track days or drive to and from the track on your track wheels? It is difficult to provide recommendations without further clarification. Any summer tire will have a lot more grip than your all seasons.

GS-F wheels and tires fit without modification. Factory GS-F tire is 255/35/19 front, 275/35/19 rear. You can get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71, and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 in that size. Those are 3 different classes of tire that are all orders of magnitude stickier than your all-seasons.

By chattering I assume you mean vibrating. That is a thermal capacity issue. When the pads got too hot, they started transferring additional material to the rotors unevenly. Was the vibration from the front, the rear, or both?

I have not looked at EBC pads in a long time because 15 years ago, when I first started modding cars, EBCs were notorious for chewing up rotors.
Thanks for the input. As for tires, Id really like something with better grip in dry weather to improve my track times, but still be able to brake them loose in a turn if needed. The car might be trailered up, but more likely i would sqap wheels the night before and drive 2.5hrs the next day.

I did just order some powerstop rotors and am hoping the slotted rotors help keep the pads cooler. One of my friends suggested removing the dust shields. Will that really work, and if so will there be any negative effects to me leaving them off for an extended period of time? Good to know on the EBCs that they were eating rotors...have you heard anything about the Carbotechs doing the same thing?

Again, dont want to spend more than $2-3k on these mods as I still plan on buying a dedicated track project car in the next couple of years.
Thanks again!
Old 02-21-23, 09:40 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

If you are driving to the track, a set of PS4S would likely be good for you. We have no front or rear camber adjustment, so track work will chew up the outer shoulder of the tread, regardless of tire. If you want to be able to adjust camber, be prepared to spend over 1000 dollars on camber arms. The rear camber arms are relatively affordable, but the fronts are not.

The dust shield may also provide thermal shielding for your lower ball joint and tie rod end from the hot rotor. Heat can seriously degrade those bushings. I would be reticent to remove them.

Any aggressive race pad will chew up rotors when cold. I believe the issue with the EBCs was their street pad compound was way too aggressive. Carbotech's race pads will do the same if you street drive on them and do not warm them up.

https://ctbrakes.com/choosingcompounds/

Old 04-02-23, 06:08 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tmcmannis1
Thanks for the input. As for tires, Id really like something with better grip in dry weather to improve my track times, but still be able to brake them loose in a turn if needed. The car might be trailered up, but more likely i would sqap wheels the night before and drive 2.5hrs the next day.

I did just order some powerstop rotors and am hoping the slotted rotors help keep the pads cooler. One of my friends suggested removing the dust shields. Will that really work, and if so will there be any negative effects to me leaving them off for an extended period of time? Good to know on the EBCs that they were eating rotors...have you heard anything about the Carbotechs doing the same thing?

Again, dont want to spend more than $2-3k on these mods as I still plan on buying a dedicated track project car in the next couple of years.
Thanks again!
Bumping this because it has come to my attention that GS-F wheels with GS-F sized tires may rub on the inside against the steering knuckle.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...0-f-sport.html
Tmcmannis1 (04-02-23)
Old 04-03-23, 09:31 AM
SpeedFreaksUSA
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

We are a Carbotech distributor and do sell pads for your car. One of the main benefits of their product lineup is that all of their compounds' transfer layers are compatible which means that once they are bedded in you can swap back and forth between their 1521 street compound and any of their track compounds without having to clean the rotor and re-bed each time.

We can also assist on wheels depending on what you're most interested in.

As for tires I wouldn't sweat it too much - anything in the max performance or ultra high performance summer category will be a huge upgrade over all seasons in terms of feel, grip, heat tolerance and tread life (on track, at least). Don't worry about building the car to go as quickly as possible while you're learning, just make it as consistent as possible. My personal favorites on the low to mid end of the budget spectrum are the Firestone firehawk indy 500 or Yokohama advan apex V601. Pilot sport 4S are all time for a street tire but have very soft sidewalls and if you have stock camber you're going to kill the outer shoulders of at least the fronts at a ridiculous rate so I'm sure shelling out for those will get old quickly if they are only lasting a couple events.

-Matt M.

Last edited by SpeedFreaksUSA; 04-04-23 at 10:12 AM.
GrandSedanFan (04-03-23)