GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 10:31 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
4th and final version of my phone mount! SLS printed by Shapeways so it won't get all floppy in the heat lol. I made it to fit in the little nook to the left of the screen so it doesn't block it.

I used an adhesive magnetic mount, but I put in mounting holes too in case I want to change to a cradle or something else.

How can I get one of these custom mount points??
Old 08-03-18, 12:11 PM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
4th and final version of my phone mount! SLS printed by Shapeways so it won't get all floppy in the heat lol. I made it to fit in the little nook to the left of the screen so it doesn't block it.

I used an adhesive magnetic mount, but I put in mounting holes too in case I want to change to a cradle or something else.

View from driver's position.
Very nice. Any pics with the phone attached?
Old 08-03-18, 12:21 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB

Is this a thick layer of dust and dirt on your steering column and instrument cluster?

Old 08-03-18, 01:45 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally Posted by bclexus
Is this a thick layer of dust and dirt on your steering column and instrument cluster?
Is that a judgmental parent tone?
Old 08-03-18, 02:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Is that a judgmental parent tone?
Not judgmental, but definitely curiosity got the best of me.

I thought the owner may live in Phoenix where they had one of those biblical dust storms roll through.

Last edited by bclexus; 08-03-18 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-05-18, 06:42 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Haha, yes my car is a bit dusty, I admit I should wipe it down more often. It's been about 100F daily recently so I haven't washed the car in 2 weeks or so.

Here's a pic with the phone mounted.

I've listed the mount on Shapeways for those of you who asked. I apologize that it costs so much, most of it is Shapeway's cost to print it, I'm making about $3 per mount. Maybe I can recoup some of the costs of printing the previous 3 versions and the dash scanning.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/YS...one-dash-mount

Let me know if you have any feedback!
Old 08-05-18, 11:38 PM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

been throug most of this thread. still looking for the silver bullet... for me all is still a compromise . My phone for now stays in the center console!
Old 08-08-18, 12:08 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

I agree that this is the best spot for a cellphone , as far as maintaining the visibility of the main screen, access to AC controls and accessing the phone. But I'm not entirely loving the felt and gray-brown finish. However, the more I look at it, the more I feel that I will probably get one.

Originally Posted by DuB

This was my second choice to mount the phone, but it's really too far away to be useful.
Originally Posted by DarthCholo
Old 08-08-18, 12:27 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Originally Posted by DuB
I've listed the mount on Shapeways for those of you who asked. https://www.shapeways.com/product/YS...one-dash-mount
Ordered. Thank you!!
Old 08-08-18, 12:40 PM
chinee
Racer

Received 943 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
Haha, yes my car is a bit dusty, I admit I should wipe it down more often. It's been about 100F daily recently so I haven't washed the car in 2 weeks or so.

Here's a pic with the phone mounted.

I've listed the mount on Shapeways for those of you who asked. I apologize that it costs so much, most of it is Shapeway's cost to print it, I'm making about $3 per mount. Maybe I can recoup some of the costs of printing the previous 3 versions and the dash scanning.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/YS...one-dash-mount

Let me know if you have any feedback!
What's the difference between the Black Natural and Black Premium versions?
The following users liked this post:
jonathancl (08-31-18)
Old 08-08-18, 12:46 PM
jonathancl
Racer

...about $30.

I ordered the cheaper one because I can handle sanding and painting to achieve a cleaner look if needs be.

Last edited by jonathancl; 08-08-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 09:05 PM
DuB
Intermediate

The one pictured is the black natural finish. It's basically straight out of their printer and then dyed. The premium one is smoother but it's crazy expensive. The extra cost is all Shapeways, I make $3 off either one. Thanks for the order
Old 08-08-18, 09:29 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
The one pictured is the black natural finish. It's basically straight out of their printer and then dyed. The premium one is smoother but it's crazy expensive. The extra cost is all Shapeways, I make $3 off either one. Thanks for the order
If only you had a 3D printer, it's an excellent design great job. Do you still own the design or do they own it now?
Old 08-10-18, 09:13 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Yeah, if I had my own printer I'd be able to prototype it faster and cheaper. I use a local shop to print the prototypes using an FDM printer, but those models can't be used in a car because the intense heat causes them to warp (ask me how I know haha). Shapeways uses $1mil SLS printers that use a laser to fuse each layer, and the resulting print is almost like an injection molded part and won't warp in a hot car. Yeah I still own the design.
Old 08-30-18, 09:32 AM
mylehigh1
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hudrock
I have been using the Macally Adjustable Automobile Cup Holder a really like it. http://a.co/6x3m5Xt
It does take up one cup holder but since its usually just me driving and its easily removable I don't mind at all. Things I like about it is its very secure (cornering) and low profile so it doesn't block anything essential. The phone sits right above the mouse pad so its very easy to use (literally lift a finger from mouse pad) if needed and no more distracting than glancing at the radio if your using google maps. I like the Pro Clips product but it looks like it blocks part of the infotainment display on the GS. I personally wouldn't attach anything to the CD player or vents as I think this will either eventually damage your car or phone or both.
I'm going to try the ALIGHTSTONE CD Slot mount in my 2015 GS, and I'm also interested in the Macally. I see there is a regular version, and long / extra long neck versions. Would you still recommend the regular version?

Quick Reply: 4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)