GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Heated Steering Wheel Switch 2015 GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 07:11 PM
HontoKuro
Pole Position

Received 126 Likes on 82 Posts

Well seems most here are split on this topic, but I am not here to cause controversy but for those that never being or owned a modern BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc. with this option I would highly suggest you one test one of their heated steering wheels and then come back to this Lexus. You will quickly see how poorly disappointing it is and understand what I am saying. Is the Lexus good enough? Maybe for some but when comparing to the competition then it falls short in my opinion. Bottom line I feel like Lexus went cheap here on this feature and don't understand why they didn't integrate it throughout the entire radius. I can understand if you have one of the wooded option steering wheel but no excuse for an all leather wrapped not to have full 360 degree heating. Hell I recently went back to my local dealer as we are in the market and cross shopping another Lexus for my wife and even the recent 2018 and 2019 models ( RX, LS,ES etc.) I saw in the showroom had the same poor heated steering wheel. Just don't understand Lexus on this one. My 2 cents that is all.
Old 11-07-18, 08:26 PM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
Well seems most here are split on this topic, but I am not here to cause controversy but for those that never being or owned a modern BMW, Mercedes, Audi etc. with this option I would highly suggest you one test one of their heated steering wheels and then come back to this Lexus. You will quickly see how poorly disappointing it is and understand what I am saying. Is the Lexus good enough? Maybe for some but when comparing to the competition then it falls short in my opinion. Bottom line I feel like Lexus went cheap here on this feature and don't understand why they didn't integrate it throughout the entire radius. I can understand if you have one of the wooded option steering wheel but no excuse for an all leather wrapped not to have full 360 degree heating. Hell I recently went back to my local dealer as we are in the market and cross shopping another Lexus for my wife and even the recent 2018 and 2019 models ( RX, LS,ES etc.) I saw in the showroom had the same poor heated steering wheel. Just don't understand Lexus on this one. My 2 cents that is all.
Subjective topic. I will say, I can't imagine it not being hot enough. I keep mine on for a few minutes then turn it off. Coverage is limited but depending on each person, that could be a positive or negative. Yes, no temperature control, just one level.

Old 11-07-18, 08:35 PM
azipod
Lead Lap

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by HontoKuro
they did go cheap indeed. There are other cars that have 360 degree heating ... and that’s including the wooded portion of the wheel. Shame on Lexus!

i would still buy the heated wheel option. Just feel that Lexus could have done better.
Old 11-07-18, 08:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,619 Likes on 1,033 Posts

The new ES has the fully heated steering wheel. It’ll start making it in to other Lexus vehicles soon I’m sure.
Old 11-08-18, 07:32 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

I love these topics.

The engine shuts off when you open the door after remote starting. RES is useless!
There is no temp control and the entire wheel isn't heated. Heated steering wheel is useless!
I only have a 6 speed and not an 8 speed transmission. The GS is undriveable!
The GS only has 300+ HP when other models in it's class has 400+HP. The GS is such a dog.

I get that there can be improvements. Hell I wish for improvements also but to go all the way to the end of the spectrum is a bit much.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (11-08-18)
Old 11-08-18, 09:54 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Can you even put heating elements under the wood? The F-Sport or extreme base GS have the full leather steering wheel, so heat makes sense, but wood does not. Sounds like a fire waiting to happen.
Old 11-08-18, 11:25 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

You most certainly can put heating elements under wood. 99.99%, the wood you see on the steering wheel is just a laminate anyway. so the wood sits at the very top layer away from the heating element. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's solid wood. You can still put an insulating flame retardant layer underneath the wood.
Old 11-08-18, 11:53 AM
jessalynn
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a '13 Yukon Denali with a heated steering wheel...it's a combination of leather/wood wrapped...have to say I do love the feature, and wish I had thought to seek it out when I bought my f-sport. It is definitely on my must-have list for the next one!
Old 11-08-18, 05:27 PM
2jS160
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The new ES has the fully heated steering wheel.
Another retrofit for eddie420 to tackle...
Old 11-08-18, 06:13 PM
eddie420

Received 633 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jS160
Another retrofit for eddie420 to tackle...
It's actually not difficult at all. The mechanism is very simple. The difficult part is making it LOOK nice. This isn't even considered a mod it's so easy. lol
Old 11-09-18, 02:23 PM
ChronoR
Pole Position

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
It's actually not difficult at all. The mechanism is very simple. The difficult part is making it LOOK nice. This isn't even considered a mod it's so easy. lol
Wait so it's actually possible? I really want a fully heated steering wheel even if it's from an ES.

I also noticed this quote from the ES forum:
The temperature of the heated wheel on the 2013 ES that I had was nice when it was below 0 outside, but, when it was, say, 20-40 degrees outside, the heated wheel was almost too hot, and, after a few minutes, I usually felt a need to turn it off. On my 2017 ES, the heated steering wheel doesn't produce nearly as much heat as did the wheel on the 2013. With the 2017, the level of heat from the wheel is about right when the outside temperature is in the 20-40 degree range, but, when the outside temperature is 0, more heat from the wheel would be nice. So, with the 2019 ES, having options to vary the temperature does sound like a nice upgrade.
I have a 2013 GS so maybe that's why I find the heat from the wheel more than adequate. Only wish for full coverage.
Old 11-09-18, 03:13 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by ChronoR
Wait so it's actually possible? I really want a fully heated steering wheel even if it's from an ES.

I also noticed this quote from the ES forum:
I have a 2013 GS so maybe that's why I find the heat from the wheel more than adequate. Only wish for full coverage.
yes but the wiring for the controls will need to be changes since the design is different. Not difficult but requires time.
Old 11-11-18, 10:04 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
You most certainly can put heating elements under wood. 99.99%, the wood you see on the steering wheel is just a laminate anyway. so the wood sits at the very top layer away from the heating element. But for the sake of argument, let's say it's solid wood. You can still put an insulating flame retardant layer underneath the wood.
Uh...you must not have seen the videos where they make the steering wheels. They are absolutely solid wood, with a steel bar in the middle.

Wooden wheel
Old 11-26-18, 06:15 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by eddie420
The F sport wheel has a larger heating surface than the rest of the other models. My heating was just fine, no idea why people are complaining because it warms up really quick and is the perfect amount of hot if you are not wearing any gloves. And if you want to see what the pad looks like, I ripped my wheel apart, here are a few pictures: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10287808
So I am going back to what I said here. On my 2015 GS... the heating is immaculate. I had my car in for service twice for various things and got a 2017 RX and 2019 ES for loaners. Right now I am driving the ES and boy, what a disappointment. The steering wheel barely gets hot, it's lukewarm at best. Not sure if Lexus decided to reduce the output of the heaters but I can certainly see why some people are complaining now.
Old 11-26-18, 07:21 PM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Yup I concur with Eddie. I too got a 2019 ES loaner couple days ago. Try the heated steering wheel to see what all the fuss is about. It only barely get warm at 3 and 9. Not worth it in SoCal. The new ES is a real disappointment inside. Very cheap materials on the dash and panels compared to GS. I was so glad to get my car back same day.

Quick Reply: Heated Steering Wheel Switch 2015 GS