GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Front end drift

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-15, 02:05 PM
fjholguin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end drift

I have read a few posts about how the steering doesn't come back to center. I am having a similar problem and i am looking for solutions.

History: 2013 GS 350 F sport bought new in Oct. 2013. Currently i have 22000 miles with Dunlop Tires. When i purchased the car it had the front end bouncing like several have mentioned. I took it in and had the front tires road forced balanced. That seemed to work for a short time. At the 10K service i took it in and mentioned that the front end was still not right. they tried to balance the tires and the front right was determined to be bad. They had to order a new tire and once it came in they found that both rear tires were also bad and could not be brought into spec so they replaced those as well. Since then it has a tendency to float on the highway and it never centers out. I liken it to having an 74 olds that you have to keep moving the wheel to keep it straight. If i let go of the wheel it will pull to the direction that i last turned the wheel. I notice that while sitting i can move the wheel about a half inch either way before i feel any steering feel or tire movement. Turns are still sharp and it tracks nice. Its just when you want to keep the wheel still that you have to move it to stay centered. People around me have a tendency to be cautious as if i have been drinking. When i last took it in at 20K for service the Dealer said they test drove it and it was fine. Well i know they either just drove it in the parking lot or just around the block.

Now its is driving rougher than my Truck. On any road surface the front end feels like it is bottoming out over the smallest road imperfection. I know its supposed to be tight but having driven BMW, Infiniti, i never have felt this amount of force.

In the past i had a BMW 530I that i took into the dealership 5 times before they actually took me seriously and when WE looked underneath they discovered the rack and pinion was broken. I love to drive and i am very attentive to how the car rides and handles.

I am a spirited driver and traded in a 2011 Infiniti G37 S for this and other than this front end issue i am happy. But if i can't get this resolved i am going to have to look at alternatives.

Suggestions or solutions?
Old 02-18-15, 02:27 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

I happened to see a 2013 GS 350 'Lemon Law' titled car that was returned back to Lexus (Lexus bought the car back from the original owner/lessee under the Lemon Law) in which they replaced the entire steering rack. By the way, according to the Carfax report this car sat for 4-5 months after it was bought back by Lexus before a Lexus dealership replaced the entire steering rack. Anyway, the original owner/lessee complained multiple times about the car's steering...and the wording I saw sounded much like how you explained your car's steering. Anyway, a local used car dealer (non-Lexus) bought the car at auction and eventually sold the Lemon Law titled car.

I don't know how you would go about finding out if this steering issue is somewhat common to the GS 350, but I'm guessing there is a database somewhere of all the Lemon Law cars that Lexus has bought back - I just doubt you could gain access to that information.
Old 02-18-15, 07:44 PM
shiveng
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar problem but it was pulling to the left. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-fourth-generation/756082-f-sport-steering-issue-4gs.html

. It was a process but thankful they got it done. They didn't believe me initially u til I had the service manager drive it for 15 miles on the freeway...
Old 02-18-15, 08:00 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its those crappy Dunlops. I had those on 2 GS loaners and they vibrated badly and had bad on center steering feel. I have Michelins and I got them road forced balanced the ride is smooth as glass on my F-Sport without steering issues. Same goes for my Bridgestone Blizzaks on separate winter wheels.

The dunlop are firm and give a choppy ride.
Old 03-02-15, 12:23 PM
fjholguin
Driver School Candidate

I had enough of the front end so i dropped by the dealership this morning. I asked to speak with a Service Manager. Once i explained what i was experiencing he had his Lead Tech take it for a drive with me. When we got back he said he didn't feel anything wrong.
We then drove a new 350 F and i immediately noticed a difference in the steering. I then pulled over to let him drive it. After a few miles he said he did notice a slight difference in the steering and that he wasn't having to make as many steering corrections.
When we got back they are going to put it on the rack to look at it and to align the front end. Apparently when i had the previous tire issue where they replaced the front right and two rear tires they didn't align the front end.
He then stated that the "average"driver would have never notice what i was concerned about. I would think that if you buy one of these cars you would not by any measure be an average driver.

I am now in a loaner waiting to see if they find anything.
Old 03-02-15, 05:45 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Its those crappy Dunlops. I had those on 2 GS loaners and they vibrated badly and had bad on center steering feel. I have Michelins and I got them road forced balanced the ride is smooth as glass on my F-Sport without steering issues. Same goes for my Bridgestone Blizzaks on separate winter wheels.

The dunlop are firm and give a choppy ride.
+1

Dunlops are garbage. And they cost about $275 a tire, huge rip off.
Old 03-03-15, 08:17 AM
fjholguin
Driver School Candidate

I just got a call this morning from the dealership. They will be replacing the steering rack. Feeling somewhat vindicated. They will have parts in on Wednesday and the car ready by Friday. I want to see how it runs once they get it fixed!
Old 03-03-15, 09:37 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fjholguin
I just got a call this morning from the dealership. They will be replacing the steering rack. Feeling somewhat vindicated. They will have parts in on Wednesday and the car ready by Friday. I want to see how it runs once they get it fixed!
Very interesting! Did you use the third-hand knowledge I provided you about the Lemon Law GS 350 I saw that required Lexus to replace the entire steering rack? Or, did a Lexus technician discover the problem on his own that has led to Lexus replacing the entire steering rack?
Old 03-06-15, 01:14 PM
fjholguin
Driver School Candidate

BC Lexus i did not tell them directly but i had it in the back of my mind.

Well its Friday and guess what? I don't have my car. I just called and they informed me that the parts didn't come in yet! So i get to keep on using this hybrid they have me in. The hybrid seems like a nice car if you are getting from a to b, but if you love to drive like i do then its a snoozer. Second time I've had this car in the shop for over a week waiting on parts or tires!
Old 03-06-15, 06:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by fjholguin
BC Lexus i did not tell them directly but i had it in the back of my mind.

Well its Friday and guess what? I don't have my car. I just called and they informed me that the parts didn't come in yet! So i get to keep on using this hybrid they have me in. The hybrid seems like a nice car if you are getting from a to b, but if you love to drive like i do then its a snoozer. Second time I've had this car in the shop for over a week waiting on parts or tires!
Thanks for the update. Keep us informed on the results...
Old 03-06-15, 07:12 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...lems/index.htm

2013 Lexus GS 350 sedans recalled due to electronic steering problems
Consumer Reports News: May 23, 2012 12:08 PM
Find Ratings blob logo

Sedans
See Dealer Pricing

A small number of Lexus GS 350 sedans are being recalled by Toyota Motor Corp. according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. A problem in the luxury car's electronic steering control unit may cause the steering wheel to become off-centered in parked Lexus GS350.

The inaccuracy of the steering wheel position in relation to the front wheels may cause a crash since the recalled car will move in unexpected directions while drivers maneuver it from a parked spot, warns NHTSA

The 2013 Lexus GS 350 is an updated model which was unveiled in January at the Detroit auto show. Consumer Reports' car testers have had a chance to preview the redesigned Lexus GS 350. (Watch the Consumer Reports video, Detroit Auto Show: 2013 Lexus GS 350.) We'll report how our purchased 2013 Lexus GS 350 fares in our tests and on our track soon.

According to NHTSA, about 663 of the new Lexus GS 350 cars have the flaw programming in its variable gear ratio steering (VGRS) system. Next month, Toyota will begin to notify affected owners to bring the recalled Lexus sedans into dealerships where the steering control unit will be re-programmed free of charge.

For more information, consumers can call Toyota toll-free (800-331-4331) or visit the NHTSA website: www.SaferCar.gov.
Old 03-06-15, 07:21 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Item #2:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...od_ids=1467812
Old 04-30-15, 07:34 PM
fjholguin
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

I'm pretty pissed! The dealer put the new rack in. Just took it in for the 25k service on Tuesday. Today doing a 80 mph run and had a vibration in the steering. Took it to the Dealer and the response was we drove it and there was no problem but we can check the balance but you will have to pay it.! So I went to my sales rep on the sales floor and unloaded! Several managers came out and the GM and Service Director got involved. Service director drove it with me and said he felt something that starts at 40mph. I'm in a loaner again! Heading out of town on road trip and don't know the outcome! I've had this car for over 25k and NEVER have I got to drive it with out some problem!
My wife just said her next car won't be a Lexus!
Old 05-01-15, 01:47 PM
navleu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Thing that I found this because I have been having the same issue with my car since I bought it 8 months ago. I notice that when I turn the steering does not goes back to place unless I spin the steering back into place, in fact this pass Monday I took a right turn and I so happened to sneeze at the same time causing me to close my eyes for only lees than half a second and when I opened my eyes back I was about to drive onto the side walk causing my front left wheel to get scratch, and all because the steering of the car doesn't move back to place at all. Also I have notice that when I am on the highway I feel a slight vibration on the front right side of the car, that has always been the case sinceI own the car. I never thought about the car being the problem because it is a brand new car. I always thought it was the road conditions since they are awful in the state I live, or that it is because the car is a sport tune, but after reading this I will definitely look into this and have it look at by the dealer. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-26-15, 09:18 PM
mikesj
Driver School Candidate

Any updates here guys?
thanks
Mike

Quick Reply: Front end drift