GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Car seat protector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-15, 12:08 AM
stick22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car seat protector?

First kid coming and I need to install car seats in the back of the GS. I was trying to not damage the leather and was gonna buy the
BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector

Does anyone here use one or have better options?

Thanks ahead of time
Old 07-25-15, 08:13 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Prince Lionheart Two-Stage SeatSaver

Old 07-25-15, 08:25 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by stick22
First kid coming and I need to install car seats in the back of the GS. I was trying to not damage the leather and was gonna buy the BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector

Does anyone here use one or have better options?

Thanks ahead of time
In case you haven't already noticed, the GS 350 does not have the center car seat 'Latch' system. There is a center seat belt and even though the center seat is raised and not comfortable for an adult it can be used with seat belts - it just doesn't have the Latch system latch hooks.

Latch hooks have required spacing, and Lexus has installed them in the left-hand and right-hand rear seat positions, but not for the center. However, a car seat can be installed in the center position using the seat belts...where it (the center position) has been determined to be the safest place for a car seat.

Most car seat's Latch connectors (e.g. Chicco KeyFit) will not reach the inboard left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook in order to install the car seat in the center position because the [two inboard hook] spacing is a few inches too far apart, and also because the center seat is raised. The car seat's web straps that have the Latch connectors on the ends are about 1" shy of being able to connect to the two inboard Latch hooks. However, if you want to use a car seat in the center position (without using the seat belt to strap the car seat in-place), you can add a heavy duty chain link to the inboard left-hand Latch hook and the inboard right-hand Latch hook so the car seat's Latch connectors will then reach and latch to the added links. The chain links are rated at a higher tensile strength than the Latch hooks.
Old 07-26-15, 05:11 PM
sarmyth
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I use one by britax which is a large flexible rubber mat. I haven't seen any color transfer with it. It probably won't guard against indentations over time if you plan on leaving the seat in your car 24/7 but i always removed the car seat overnight to prevent issues there.

http://www.amazon.com/Britax-USA-S864500-Vehicle-Protector/dp/B0080HPXHU

With regard to the latch setup, you can have a seat in the center and have it pickup the left and right latch hookups... I used uppababy's mesa infant seat and had no issues at all. Once your kid hits something like 30 lbs though the latch setup will fail in a crash so you need to switch to a seatbelt based solution anyhow.