GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

'14 GS 350 F Sport lazy 8 spd tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 10:13 PM
x312
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '14 GS 350 F Sport lazy 8 spd tranny

New to the forum but I thought I'd reach out knowing there may be plenty of suggestions here and before I just take the dealers feedback. I recently bought a used "14 GS F- Sport after test driving 2 '13's I was very impressed

- the '13's with the 6 spd A/Tranny really kicked down and scooted when making highway speed passes.
- my 14 on the other hand feels lazy like it should downshift an extra gear or 2 to get angry and fly...rather disappointed.
- the car is only 9 months old and it has only 9400 miles so it's still under warranty

I've tried full throttle passes in all 3 modes but it doesnt kick down like a '13 with a 6 spd. Is anyone finding the same thing with their 8 speeds?

I called Lexus customer service and they found no bulletins etc. They talked about possibly reflaching a DMU?

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have the car going in for service Sunday to address a few minor issues and the major tranny complaint

Jeff
Old 08-30-15, 08:32 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I kind of feel the same way, I usually drive in normal or sport....I do feel once you go sport it will get after it quicker, but when I first got the car I felt the same as you
Old 08-30-15, 08:39 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

The car just needs to learn how you drive. Maybe the previous owner was old and never really exploited the car's performance. I have a 2015 with the 8-speed and when I just flex my toe in Sport S+ mode, it'll kick down a few gears and I'm off. I only drive in Sport S+ mode.

Forgot to mention, but I also had a 2013 F-sport with the 6-speed. Haven't missed it since this 8-speed has similar performance and the additional gears allow the car to be quiter when cruising on the highway.

Last edited by dchar; 08-30-15 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-30-15, 08:41 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The car just needs to learn how you drive. I have a 2015 with the 8-speed and when I just flex my toe in Sport S+ mode, it'll kick down a few gears and I'm off. I only drive in Sport S+ mode.
It would be nice if the car would stay in sport s or s+ when you start up car....instead of defaulting back to normal or Eco
Old 08-30-15, 08:44 AM
rshaw3
Driver School Candidate

Default Use manual mode

Use manual mode. I've had my '14 F Sport for about a year and just started using manual mode. Huge difference. Much more fun when I stay above 4K on the RPMs.
Old 08-30-15, 08:45 AM
x312
Driver School Candidate

My neighbor just bought a 15 RCF to replace a Nissan 370 Nismo that got totalled....when I asked if her old Nissan shifted with more anger she concurred. I dont understand how going from a 6 spd to an 8spd would feel like going backwards...especially in an F Sport.

The car goes in this afternoon so if they do find and download some sort of patch for the tranny mapping, I will pass it along to the group.

if anyone else is feeling this softness, please speak up so we can get this addressed and advance the breed for current and future F Sport models.
Old 08-30-15, 08:47 AM
5PM
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good thread to review on this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ervations.html
Old 08-30-15, 08:53 AM
x312
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rshaw3
Use manual mode. I've had my '14 F Sport for about a year and just started using manual mode. Huge difference. Much more fun when I stay above 4K on the RPMs.

I agree with you on the manual mode, but when I'm on the highway and want to make a quick pass, knocking it into manual to pass is slowing down what should be a natural for any car to do. Just my opinion, not saying your wrong.
Old 08-30-15, 09:01 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by x312
I agree with you on the manual mode, but when I'm on the highway and want to make a quick pass, knocking it into manual to pass is slowing down what should be a natural for any car to do. Just my opinion, not saying your wrong.
You can use the paddles without switching to manual mode. Then hold the right paddle when you're done.
Old 08-30-15, 09:36 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 5PM
+1

A good thread to read over OP.

Other topics devoted to this exact same topic include:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nsmission.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...nsmission.html

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 08-30-15, 10:25 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I've said many times that my 2010 was much more responsive than our 2014. I think they really dumbed it down for CAFE ratings. I will say that in Sport Plus mode the 2014 feels responsive to me, but in many cases it holds gears longer than I'd like. I mainly drive in sport mode which is okay, but not as responsive as the 2010 was.
Old 08-30-15, 10:31 AM
x312
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all of the feedback and directions to similar threads. I went for a test drive to rule out not activating the switch under the gas pedal...that wasn't it

here's what I did find out while cruising around 60 MPH +/- 5MPH:

- bumping into maual mode and flooring it didnt down shift at all
- S or S+ still gave it a soft downshift, it hunts for a gear @ 4500 RPM then downshifts to a lower gear that hits 5500 then goes thru the gears nicely. either way, way too slow for a performance car trying to compete witht the Germans.
- S or S+ should eleviate that disappointment or patch up the computer to address it

my feelings are...we shouldn't be stepping backwards to move forward with the 8 speed....Lexus, if your lurking or listening to your customers, please fix it. I also feel that the '13 6 spd is much more fun to drive and it will pin your head to the headrest where the '14 8 spd won't. A huge disappointment in my book that can and hopefully will be addressed. I love the brand, it's my 4th since 1990. I've strayed to the Germans and I always come back. Please don't push me away again

thanks again for everyones help and input, it truly helped.
Old 08-30-15, 11:59 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

I had a 13 luxury and when I first test drove 15 f sport over a long distance, I did have a similar feel. For some reasons I don't have the same feel on mine anymore more. It seems to be just as responsive when in S+. Maybe like dchar mentioned the car adapted to the driver 's behavior? One thing I do notice though when speeding from a stop in normal traffic the car seems to stay at the low gear too long IMO. In such case I would manually shift up with the paddle.

Last edited by 1111GS; 08-30-15 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-30-15, 12:50 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

2 words: Pedal Detent
Old 08-30-15, 06:42 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by x312
thanks for all of the feedback and directions to similar threads. I went for a test drive to rule out not activating the switch under the gas pedal...that wasn't it

here's what I did find out while cruising around 60 MPH +/- 5MPH:

- bumping into maual mode and flooring it didnt down shift at all
- S or S+ still gave it a soft downshift, it hunts for a gear @ 4500 RPM then downshifts to a lower gear that hits 5500 then goes thru the gears nicely. either way, way too slow for a performance car trying to compete witht the Germans.
- S or S+ should eleviate that disappointment or patch up the computer to address it

my feelings are...we shouldn't be stepping backwards to move forward with the 8 speed....Lexus, if your lurking or listening to your customers, please fix it. I also feel that the '13 6 spd is much more fun to drive and it will pin your head to the headrest where the '14 8 spd won't. A huge disappointment in my book that can and hopefully will be addressed. I love the brand, it's my 4th since 1990. I've strayed to the Germans and I always come back. Please don't push me away again

thanks again for everyones help and input, it truly helped.
I feel your pain. After my 2010 GS I got a 550 BMW. Really nice car with a few hitches in its get-a-long that annoyed the hell out of me. Then I got an A7 Audi. While it's not perfect, it's awfully close. Throttle response is outstanding. In fact, for reasons too long to go into, I'm trading my 2015 A7 tomorrow for a 2016. Nothing wrong with the car. Just an interesting set of events that led me to ask what they would give me for my car on a trade, and the deal was too good not to take them up on.

Quick Reply: '14 GS 350 F Sport lazy 8 spd tranny