GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Jerky Transmission at low speeds on 2016 GS350

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17 | 09:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ItzFilyO
My only problem with CVT is when u let go of the gas and floor it again it takes a while to get moving again, there is a huge delay in power delivery. But I'm talking about Prius, CT, and 4-banger Accord here. I don't know about the bigger engine cars like the Maxima and GS 450h with gobs of power.
I pretty much agree.

What I have found is that I can live with a CVT when it's paired with a stronger engine, but find them very annoying on smaller, less powerful engines. For example, I recently had a Nissan Rogue loaner for a couple weeks. The CVT in that just seemed to amplify the lack of power and coarseness of the engine. But I've had a loaner Nissan Pathfinder with the V6 and it was fine, as it also is in my sister's Nissan Murano. And while it's a very different animal, I am always surprised at how much of an issue it ISN'T in my Highlander, which has plenty of power.
Old 03-03-17 | 10:21 AM
gflexus
Rookie

I am willing to bet that most of us on here have absolutely no problem with our transmissions. I would assume that those having these problems are a small minority and need to get it resolved by Lexus.

I have now had two 4GS's with the 8speed, and found the automatic transmission to be one of the best I have ever driven and have had none of the problems noted in this thread. And believe me I am critical and would notice any problem. I would assume that those having these problems are a small minority. I find the 8 speed to be very smooth and usually in the right gear. With Sport Mode and manual shifting capability, etc. it gives plenty of options too.

I have had several Mercedes and did not buy another one specifically since I hated their automatics......upshift way to soon (in any mode) and are very reluctant to downshift, to the point of being dangerous in critical situations. Before I bought my '16 GS F sport, my second choice was the Mercedes C AMG with 369 HP twin turbo.....but transmission sucked (as many reviews also noted ).. so I passed. For 2017 MBZ has now gone to a 9 speed! I've heard it is better, but still may have some hesitation on aggressive driving.

I have found the Lexus 8 speed to be flawless in the two GS's I have owned. I also have an Infiniti G35 coupe with a 5 speed automatic and it is exceptional, always in the right gear and easy to modulate with the gas pedal.
Old 03-03-17 | 12:18 PM
Handi
Rookie

My thoughts, if what your feeling is the transmission and nothing is wrong this "jerking" is a good thing and not bad.
In the past I have had transmissions that would slip in the shifts to prevent the shift feel.
If the transmission is slipping it is wearing the clutch material. I prefer it to be a little firm over a soft feel.
It means the clutches will last longer and also it is not contaminating the trans fluid with worn material.
My car does have a firm shift when in the Sport and Sport+ modes.
I like it, now my wife on the other hand does not. Its my car.
Old 03-04-17 | 10:43 PM
KennyZ
Rookie

I believe it's quite normal on any car in a cold morning. Since the transmission oil is cold, changing the gear is a bit hard for the transmission.
Old 04-01-17 | 11:26 AM
tidalk
Driver School Candidate

CVT is annoying... if you want to step on the gas and go... all you hear is high rpms like a 2-stroke moped lol. Just one of the main reasons I dislike the GS450h.. :-(