GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 11:31 AM
sonyfan
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If someone can put together a DIY, that would be great
Old 07-11-17, 04:59 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,157 Likes on 854 Posts

I noticed the extra noise when the sunshade is opened but only when traveling at highway speeds of 70+ MPH. I know fellow member peasados already posted some information, but if there is any more detailed information and steps with a DIY i'd tackle this one myself...
Old 07-12-17, 05:10 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AJLex19
I noticed the extra noise when the sunshade is opened but only when traveling at highway speeds of 70+ MPH. I know fellow member peasados already posted some information, but if there is any more detailed information and steps with a DIY i'd tackle this one myself...
I agree, my noise is most noticeable at 65-70 mph+. However, it is definitely noisier than it should be at slower speeds, too, especially on windy days. The noise from outside the cabin is also louder than it should be when I start the car in my garage, and it comes from the sunroof, because it echoes around the garage.
Old 07-12-17, 09:25 PM
Chavez562
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
I agree, my noise is most noticeable at 65-70 mph+. However, it is definitely noisier than it should be at slower speeds, too, especially on windy days. The noise from outside the cabin is also louder than it should be when I start the car in my garage, and it comes from the sunroof, because it echoes around the garage.
I'm having mine fixed on Friday morning....it's freakin annoyingggggg....
Old 07-14-17, 01:55 PM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

See this video, even though it is for a shattered sunroof in an Avalon the glass removal process is identical.

Ordered and received the new seal, going to replace it this weekend and hope the excess wind noise goes away. In other cars I've driven the noise level is the same whether you have the sun shade open or closed so that is my test.
Old 07-14-17, 02:09 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I posted this a little while ago, but look at the water intrusion from a car wash. I know high pressure jets may cause some intrusion, but I think it's this is a testament to a bad seal.

Originally Posted by mryeh17
See this video, even though it is for a shattered sunroof in an Avalon the glass removal process is identical.

Ordered and received the new seal, going to replace it this weekend and hope the excess wind noise goes away. In other cars I've driven the noise level is the same whether you have the sun shade open or closed so that is my test.
Think you forgot to post the link.
Old 07-14-17, 07:46 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

I think it might be this video. Can't wait to see the outcome of the DIY.

The following users liked this post:
RAMBLER2 (11-02-17)
Old 07-14-17, 08:02 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Here is the second part of the video. After watching both parts, doesn't look too bad to DIY.

Old 07-15-17, 08:21 AM
6speediroc
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for posting the YouTube videos. I brought mine to the dealer under warranty this week and they just lubed the seal and it didn't work to quiet the noise at 70 to 75mph. I'll either push them harder or just replace the seal myself for $50.
Old 07-17-17, 08:17 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Oddly, this weekend I noticed that one of the rubber bellow covers was actually off the track on the sunroof. I put that back into the track but wasn't able to get onto a highway at 65+mph to hear the wind noise (i doubt that would have made any difference though).

I also noticed that with my sunroof tilted, the rubber on the weatherstrip looked a bit worn from the outside and i know Certified warranty excludes seals, moldings and weather stripping.

I found a helpful thread from toyota nation where a member replaced the sunroof weatherstrip himself on a 2011 highlander: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...placement.html
Old 07-17-17, 01:44 PM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Success, the wind noise is gone! Here is my sorry first attempt at a DIY:

Purchased the part 63251-30100 from https://www.oemgenuineparts.com/, $50 with expedited shipping.
Turned on power to the vehicle and raised the sunroof, then shut power down.
Pulled out the rubber accordions and unscrewed the T-25 screws. Couple notes: they were hard to break free using a screwdriver, had to use a rachet handle. Also, when I loosened them the glass dropped down a couple millimeters so I expected there would be some alignment coming up (see below). The screws also have a washer so just be careful to get both from each of the 4 locations.
Lifted the sunroof from the outside of the car. Note I wore gym shorts and removed all jewelry/watches/anything else that could scratch the exterior (they do this at car factories).
Removed the old weatherstrip, taking care to not which side was out so I could be sure to line up the new accordingly.
Easy to pull off the old seal
Started fitting the new weatherstrip. It was a little tricky because the sunroof is a little heavy and pretty unwieldy. I found that laying a blanket on the ground, holding the glass vertical, and pushing down on the strip worked well. The glass has a channel that the seal has to go over, I found that pushing it on at a 45 degree angle from the exterior side worked pretty well. The lip on the exterior needed to be "fluffed" next.

Once I got the seal on all the way around, I pulled the lip up and away from the glass with my thumb to get it all smoothed out and "fluffed."
Before fluffing After fluffing the same location
It probably took me 20 minutes to get the seal exactly in place. It should be smooth as you look down the edge, and you should be able to pull on it a little away from the glass without any give.

Now put the glass back onto the frame and line up the screw holes. I started just light tightening the screws with the glass at rest, then closed the sunroof. It definitely was sunken:
Resting height needs adjustment. You may want to take a before photo to compare.At this point it was trial and error to get the glass flush with the roof. Then tighten the screws using the rachet, put the accordions back in place, and take it for a test drive!
After adjustment

The wind noise was definitely lower, I couldn't tell whether the slider was open or closed and that's my definition of success!

Last edited by mryeh17; 07-17-17 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Added after adjustment photo
The following 6 users liked this post by mryeh17:
6speediroc (07-17-17), AJLex19 (07-17-17), LatinLS430 (07-17-17), NYLiqPlat (07-18-17), Spideyman1 (10-29-17), viperr (07-17-17) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-17-17, 03:04 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Thanks for the write-up mryeh17!
Old 07-18-17, 08:56 AM
viperr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AJLex19
Thanks for the write-up mryeh17!
Yup, definitely a good write up. I just placed the order for the weatherstrip for 46.07 shipped. Seems like its totally worth it just to do it yourself.
Old 07-18-17, 08:59 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Big thanks to posters of the Avalon video and the GS DIY pics!

Definitely going to attempt this in my car soon! The wind noise is so annoying on the highway!
Old 07-18-17, 12:49 PM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

My pleasure to give back to this great community!

My biggest apprehension approaching this was how easily I could get the new seal on the glass. As mentioned, it's a bit tough to get seated, if I had to do it again I might try soaking the seal in soapy water first and see if that makes it easier.

Quick Reply: Excessive wind noise from Sunroof repaired by dealer for free.