GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 08:43 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Hahaha! That's funny...
This is why I never left the GS forums, lots of endless good stuff here. RC forum is so dead dry.
Old 09-12-18, 10:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by rj4510

I was at the BMW dealership a while back waiting to pick up my car. A guy in a Tesla pulls in looking around for something. When asked, he said he needed a charging station. He then proceeded to complain about how often he has been stuck and cant live with his constant hunt for power and starts negotiations on a 7 series!

I didn’t stick around to find out what happened, but it was mid summer here in Phoenix. What blew me away more was that he bought a 100k plus car, hated it and then bought another 100k plus car to end the pain. I guess if you have it, why not experiment with an experimental car, but yikes!
Now he can enjoy his 7 series breaking down and leaving him stranded on the side of the road instead of running out of charge leaving him stuck.

Maybe that is a exaggeration but the 7 series is not known to be the most reliable vehicle so he is basically paying a lot of money to get into a possibly pretty unreliable vehicle after paying a lot of money for a compromised vehicle that has range issues. Sounds like this is a spur of the moment shopper and does not research what he buys.
Old 09-12-18, 11:05 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Now he can enjoy his 7 series breaking down and leaving him stranded on the side of the road instead of running out of charge leaving him stuck.

Maybe that is a exaggeration but the 7 series is not known to be the most reliable vehicle so he is basically paying a lot of money to get into a possibly pretty unreliable vehicle after paying a lot of money for a compromised vehicle that has range issues. Sounds like this is a spur of the moment shopper and does not research what he buys.

yes definitely exaggeration, BMW aren’t too bad any more in the break down and strand you department. Most of the issues BMW’s face today are after the warranty expires and after 100k miles. I’ve owned a couple of BMW’s and they were good cars. I got rid of them because of the fear of oil leaks at 90k miles. My best friend is a sales manager at a high volume BMW store. We talk all the time, you’ll be suprised how quick people change their minds on cars and want something else 2 months later. Today he’s taking a 2017 S63 AMG with a $180k original sticker in and only 7k miles on it in exchange for a highly optioned X5 M I have another friend who never keeps a car more than 9 months. He’s trading his practically new Tesla model S in for a model 3 AWD performance just because it’s the new hot thing.

Last edited by highrev6; 09-12-18 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-12-18, 11:10 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by highrev6

yes definitely exaggeration, BMW aren’t too bad any more in the break down and strand you department. Most of the issues BMW’s face today are after the warranty expires and after 100k miles. I’ve owned a couple of BMW’s and they where good cars. I got rid of them because of the fear of oil leaks at 90k miles. My best friend is a sales manager at a high volume BMW store. We talk all the time, you’ll be suprised how quick people change their minds on cars and want something else 2 months later. Today he’s taking a 2017 S63 AMG with a $180k original sticker in and only 7k miles on it in exchange for a highly optioned X5 M I have another friend who never keeps a car more than 9 months. He’s trading his practically new Tesla model S in for a model 3 AWD performance just because it’s the new hot thing.
Not to mention, someone who buys 100k cars on a whim is not worried about these types of reliability issues. They can very easily drop the car in the dealer, pick up a loaner 7 for however long it takes to get the car back, and happily swipe the plastic on the bill.
Old 09-12-18, 11:50 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,105 Likes on 1,500 Posts

yes definitely exaggeration, BMW aren’t too bad any more in the break down and strand you department. Most of the issues BMW’s face today are after the warranty expires and after 100k miles. I’ve owned a couple of BMW’s and they where good cars. I got rid of them because of the fear of oil leaks at 90k miles. My best friend is a sales manager at a high volume BMW store. We talk all the time, you’ll be suprised how quick people change their minds on cars and want something else 2 months later. Today he’s taking a 2017 S63 AMG with a $180k original sticker in and only 7k miles on it in exchange for a highly optioned X5 M I have another friend who never keeps a car more than 9 months. He’s trading his practically new Tesla model S in for a model 3 AWD performance just because it’s the new hot thing.
Originally Posted by np20412
Not to mention, someone who buys 100k cars on a whim is not worried about these types of reliability issues. They can very easily drop the car in the dealer, pick up a loaner 7 for however long it takes to get the car back, and happily swipe the plastic on the bill.
You have another set of people that really cannot afford to buy or lease the car they drive. And yet another set of people that could afford to buy a new $100k vehicle for cash once a month and give away the previous month's car, but elects to buy used vehicles to let someone else take the heaviest depreciation hit and is likely to keep his vehicles for 5-6 years.
Old 09-12-18, 12:09 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel

Reliability isn't exactly Tesla's strong-suit either... BMW reliability would be an upgrade, IMO. That said, I still like Tesla and would still buy one, so what do I know?
Old 09-12-18, 12:19 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
You have another set of people that really cannot afford to buy or lease the car they drive. And yet another set of people that could afford to buy a new $100k vehicle for cash once a month and give away the previous month's car, but elects to buy used vehicles to let someone else take the heaviest depreciation hit and is likely to keep his vehicles for 5-6 years.
That's my space...well nearly. I don't have enough income for $100k cars, but I could certainly buy new. (And I often wonder if I could ever stomach $100k cars regardless of my income. If anyone wants to explore that hypothetical via large wire transfer, PM me.)

I just don't want to buy new: I'm value-obsessed, and when I weigh the premium against the benefits, new cars just never make sense to me, especially for a Lexus and other reliable brands.

I say 'value-obsessed'. My wife says I'm cheap.
Old 09-12-18, 02:23 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 395 Posts

yes definitely exaggeration, BMW aren’t too bad any more in the break down and strand you department. Most of the issues BMW’s face today are after the warranty expires and after 100k miles. I’ve owned a couple of BMW’s and they were good cars. I got rid of them because of the fear of oil leaks at 90k miles. My best friend is a sales manager at a high volume BMW store. We talk all the time, you’ll be suprised how quick people change their minds on cars and want something else 2 months later. Today he’s taking a 2017 S63 AMG with a $180k original sticker in and only 7k miles on it in exchange for a highly optioned X5 M I have another friend who never keeps a car more than 9 months. He’s trading his practically new Tesla model S in for a model 3 AWD performance just because it’s the new hot thing.
It's good we have people like this to keep our economy going strong.
Old 09-17-18, 11:18 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Dealership: "2020 ES will be offered in AWD and 2019 is officially the last GS"
Old 09-18-18, 03:03 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Always take anything you’ve heard at the dealer with a serious grain of salt, as I am in the auto industry and a Topyta corporate affiliate of 8 years and even I know what’s coming down the pipe line well before a dealer employee does, If the owner didn’t tell you himself than it’s most definitely a made up story and rumor. In my experience owners are usually pretty tight lipped about embargoed info on future developing products.

Last edited by highrev6; 09-18-18 at 04:12 AM.
Old 09-18-18, 09:05 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Reliability isn't exactly Tesla's strong-suit either... BMW reliability would be an upgrade, IMO. That said, I still like Tesla and would still buy one, so what do I know?
That is true, I would take the 7 series over a Tesla, wish they were reliable but I have heard about too many horror stories with 7 series BMW's to seriously consider one. Not sure if the current gen 7 series is a huge step up in reliability over the last gen which were known to be money pits in some cases.
Old 09-19-18, 08:05 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Not just cold that kills batteries. Out here in the desert, sitting in rush hour, AC blasting and the heat zapping battery juice has left more than a few on the side of the road.
That may be true, but the original factory battery in my GS350 was just replaced after six plus years. It gets warm here in Tucson. The warmest day this year the temp hit 115 degrees.
Old 09-19-18, 03:58 PM
rj4510
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL

That may be true, but the original factory battery in my GS350 was just replaced after six plus years. It gets warm here in Tucson. The warmest day this year the temp hit 115 degrees.
That is rare. Never had a battery go that long, unless in the trunk away from the heat (BMW).
Old 09-19-18, 05:00 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 143 Posts

That is rare. Never had a battery go that long, unless in the trunk away from the heat (BMW).
Or GSh, which also has the battery in the truck The battery in the GSh is only used to power the primary motor generator (MG1) that in turn performs the functions of a starter and simultaneously recharges the high voltage EV battery.

I'm still running the original battery from 2013 in the TX heat.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 09-19-18 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 08:34 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I was the dealership today and spoke to a few sales and service folks I was dealing with - most were clueless about the future of the GS. They did have a couple of gorgeous 2018 GS350 F-Sports - one in atomic silver and the other in black - both around $55k so slight discount from the typical $57k F-sport MSRP.

They weren't sure when the 2019 GS would be available but they had a fully optioned 2019 ES350 for around $54k (pano roof, ultra lux pkg, levinson, triple LEDs) on the floor. Its crazy to me that an ES can be optioned up to close to $55-$60k - roughly the same price as a well equipped GS.

Last edited by AJLex19; 09-24-18 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Is Lexus killing (discontinuing) the GS Line ? (Merged threads)