GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

iJDMToy Fogs Installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 01:23 PM
IcyBishop
Intermediate

Received 112 Likes on 68 Posts
Default iJDMToy Fogs Installed

Add another F Sport owner to the list of fog installers!
I got the iJDMToy yellow LED set off Amazon. It doesn't come with a harness, so if you're looking to wire a separate switch you'll have to buy an aftermarket harness. Instructions that were included are somewhat vague, so I spent some time searching all of the fog light installation threads here to answer questions I had. I did, however, email the manufacturer to see if it was supposed to come with a harness for clarification. I'll probably get a reply during the work week.
I do find it odd that they don't come with fusing for the lights, but LED's draw such low current I guess it's not a big deal.

My only criticism with the kit: The plugs on the wiring that come with the kit are not keyed, so caution must be used when plugging in to make sure + & - are correct. If I were to do this again, I would buy 2 H11 harnesses that were keyed and use those instead.

Tools you'll need: 10mm socket, 10mm wrench (ratcheting preferred), flat blade screwdriver, electrical tape, 18awg black and red wire (optional), ring lugs (optiona, I think #4), wire strippers, crimpers, soldering iron, shrink tube (optional), knife/razor

First thing I did was extend the wires just so I had extra to work with - wires on the harness are 18awg if anyone likes details. Soldered up and shrinked:
iJDMToy Fogs Installed-w1l9gxg.jpg
iJDMToy Fogs Installed-xbc3qmv.jpg

When I removed the headlight connector, I removed the tape and existing tubing to get the most working area with the parking wire:
iJDMToy Fogs Installed-rv5yuyu.jpg

I used pin 17 off of the harness for the + of the fog lamp:
iJDMToy Fogs Installed-g6nunya.jpg

Use the wire strippers to just cut the wire jacket about 3/8" apart. Carefully use the razor to get the jacket off of the wire:
iJDMToy Fogs Installed-ataxckf.jpg

Wrap the red wire from the harness over the exposed wire. Solder and tape up afterwards
iJDMToy Fogs Installed-qvtsdb4.jpg

For the ground part, the instructions say to put it on the back of the ground bolt with another nut (not supplied). I preferred grounding it to the actual ground point in front, which requires adding a ring terminal. This is where you'll want your ratcheting wrench as there's not enough room to get standard socket up there.
Since the lug is large enough to house the bolt, you will have to fold the 18awg wire 3 times so when you crimp the connector is creates a good crimp. Normal ring lugs made for 18awg wire have holes for M4 or M5 bolts as most. Yellow is the "standard" color for the larger ring terminals.
iJDMToy Fogs Installed-mmedavv.jpg

The ground lug in the car doesn't have to be removed for installation, just the 10mm bolt. But I removed it for a photo
iJDMToy Fogs Installed-kl0h0aa.jpg

After the ground point was connected, I reinstalled the factory tubing and tape over the headlight harness, added tubing and taped the new fog harness, then taped the union up to make it look a little more factory:
iJDMToy Fogs Installed-sx6om7z.jpg

After that just slap the fender liner back in and that's it.
Overall it took me 3 hours, but that included waiting for my soldering iron to heat up, planning my attack, finding connectors, tools, etc. The 2nd light took about 30 minutes once I knew what I was doing.

So from the initial testing the fogs come on with the parking lights, headlights, and stay on with the brights - which is the method I wanted. I'll try to get some lighting pics this week if it ever stops f-in snowing!
The following 5 users liked this post by IcyBishop:
Boomin (04-08-18), kyuGS (04-09-18), Lusty72 (04-10-18), Niralsp88 (07-12-20), phins2rt (04-08-18)
Old 04-09-18, 06:35 AM
Superman60
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good job nice write up.
Old 04-09-18, 09:05 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice write up! Wish you were in AZ so you could do mine haha. I don't trust myself with wiring. Post some pics fogs at night if you can.