GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Automatic Wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 08:55 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine i can use the fast mode only. Fortunately no rain in winter here...ps... its winter in the Southern Hemisphere atm 😄
Old 06-13-18, 08:57 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Jtkotze, check your fuses under your hood. Open the hood and on the driver side is the fuse box. Pull up on the cover from the front and you will see 2 orange/brownish relays. Look under the cover for the diagram, you will see they are marked INT and WIP, swap those and then try your wipers and see if it makes a difference. I suspect these relays are going bad, Toyota has updated that part to a newer version.

There is also a 7.5amp fuse there too, so check that one out too. Should be labeled WIP-S, close to the relays.
Old 06-13-18, 09:15 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

you are onto something! I am getting more functionality. Now the up switch works. But gets stuck at the top position most times. Down works if intermittent is set to fast. Does not move on others. I am sure it is the relay. Wil get swapouts tomorrow. Alternatively the computer supplying voltage to the relay does not supply enough. But relay is easy test.
Old 06-14-18, 08:58 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Jip. Dealer confirmed. Service bulletin on faulty relays. New relay ordered... will revert when i have it installed
Old 06-14-18, 09:04 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jtkotze
Jip. Dealer confirmed. Service bulletin on faulty relays. New relay ordered... will revert when i have it installed
Which relay? The one under the hood? Are you replacing both? If not which one are you replacing?

I resorted to buying a Mini VCI cable and installed Techstream on a laptop. I'm gonna see what's up when I get it.
Old 06-14-18, 09:25 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

The one closest to the bumper. I think. Service manag r ordered part or parts. I think both relays are buggered.
Old 06-22-18, 10:10 AM
Jtkotze
Rookie

Relay replaced. All back to normal. Toyota had a bad batch of relays hence the service bulitin...😊
Old 01-02-19, 05:27 AM
StlGasMan
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto mode problem

My problem is a little different, when I place the wipers in Auto mode, the wipers cycle even on a dry windshield. Also, in a downpour, the wipers don’t increase to maximum speed.

Originally Posted by aachowhan
Well I'm about to give up.

I have 2013 GS350 and the automatic wipers have been broken for quite some time. The issue is that when using the wipers some times they suddenly stop working. They move a millimeter from their resting position and then suddenly freeze in place. I turn auto on and off and nothing happens. I move the stick up nothing, down twice or all the way the wipers start working in high only. Then sometimes suddenly the wipers start working normal. Sometimes the wipers will freeze mid stroke on the windshield.

I went to Lexus told me my battery that was 3 months old was bad and they replaced my battery and sent me on my way. Only to have the issue come back. Pissed I tried changing the silicon pad, rain sensor, wiper relay, and that's it. I'm not sure what else I can change.

If I can't figure this out, I'm planning to trade this car in. I'm really pissed over this issue, and I'm more pissed Lexus wasted a perfectly good battery and sold me theirs for no reason.

I could go back but I honestly don't trust them to fix it anymore. I really love this car, but these wipers are starting to really make me question if I want to keep this thing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-06-19, 12:07 AM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by StlGasMan
My problem is a little different, when I place the wipers in Auto mode, the wipers cycle even on a dry windshield. Also, in a downpour, the wipers don’t increase to maximum speed.

The auto sensor is up by the rearview mirror mount. If the glass is dirty there it might be blocking the sensor.
Old 01-07-19, 06:22 AM
aachowhan
Intermediate

StlGasMan, are you sure you aren't in Manual mode? I think if you start the car and then hold the auto button it should flash 5 times or something and switch modes. Try that, you might be in intermittent mode.

My issues have been fixed indirectly.

My windshield cracked and when replaced my wipers have been working great after without issue. O well.
Old 03-12-19, 07:15 AM
dwince54
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 RX 350 auto wipers

Getting the windshield replaced today. According to the service manager at Lexus, this seems to be the fix. An expensive one, but still under warranty.
Old 09-08-20, 03:25 PM
vincent00
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

I am having the same problem with the wipers on my 2013 gs350. can you tell me what relays you replaced for the wipers to work properly on auto mode? Thanks!
Old 09-08-20, 03:55 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent00
Hi,

I am having the same problem with the wipers on my 2013 gs350. can you tell me what relays you replaced for the wipers to work properly on auto mode? Thanks!
I had an issue with my wipers stopping in between their cycles and auto wipers not working properly, i bought these 2 relays from rockauto that cross reference to the factory relays and it fixed all my wiper issues. In the fusebox on the drivers side, you take off the cover and replace INT and WIP relays with these.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=2994192&jsn=2

Last edited by CAKETOWN; 09-08-20 at 03:59 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 04:48 PM
vincent00
Driver School Candidate

I only see 1 denso relay when I press that link. Is there another one that is supposed to come with it?
Old 09-08-20, 05:22 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by vincent00
I only see 1 denso relay when I press that link. Is there another one that is supposed to come with it?
You need 2 of that relay, to replace these.

Quick Reply: Automatic Wipers not working