GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Audio system problem - no sound - help please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-18, 04:45 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Audio system problem - no sound - help please!

Turned on my car today to find I get no sound from my audio system. None of the sources produce any sound, nor does the remote touch interface play any sound through the speakers.

If I try to adjust the volume the volume level indicator does not come up on the screen. This is with both the volume **** and steering wheel controls. The only way I can get the volume indicator to show is if I mute the radio (hold mode on steering wheel or play/pause on center stack). Then when I adjust the volume it will show “Volume 19” for a second or two, but I cannot change the volume and then it disappears.

I have tried disconnecting my battery, and I also checked passenger side fuse box fuses 12 (audio system), 14 (multimedia, nav, remote touch), and 15 (audio system). I also turned off the audio system with single press, and turned it off with long press, which I think resets it. No audio with any of these methods and it still behaves the same way.

Any ideas?!?
Old 09-11-18, 06:51 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
Default What's model year?

What's your car model year?
How about the phone call? Any sound from phone call?
Old 09-11-18, 06:54 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

2013 with luxury package but no Mark Levinson.

Here are the audio sources I have tried so far and received no sounds through the audio system:
AM
FM
Satellite
USB Audio
Bluetooth Audio
Voice command prompts

I have not tried to make a phone call so I don't know for certain if those sounds would come through or not, I'd say 99% chance they won't. The voice command prompts that I usually hear when voice dialing definitely do not come through.

Everything on the screen functions as normal, except the volume level indicator, as previously mentioned.
Old 09-11-18, 07:03 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

I also thought that maybe it could be another fuse causing this... I looked at both the fuses labeled audio, and another labeled multimedia, but I believe there are some others related to the remote touch system and screen. However, the problem seems to be audio only, as the remote touch and screen seem to function just fine.
Old 09-11-18, 07:07 PM
Longevite1
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Sorry man, I not sure what to help, but may be take a look at your amp in the trunk, loose connector or fuse box again, otherwise you might need a new amp.

A used amp on eBay under $200.
Old 09-11-18, 07:10 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Thanks for thinking about it anyway. Amp is what I was planning on checking out next, just need to find it back there. Good to know they are available for under $200. Saw horror stories on here of people getting quoted like $10k or something crazy from the dealer to replace head unit..

I have an appointment at the dealer next week anyway, so if I don't have it figured out by then I am hoping they will diagnose for free since I'm having other work done.
Old 09-11-18, 07:30 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Well, thank you for confirming that I should look at the amplifier. Opened up the compartment on the right side of the trunk and found it, also found a bunch of water. The water was sitting down in the well away from the amplifier, but I'd be very surprised if that isn't what caused my problem. I'm sure some of it would have splashed onto the amplifier while I was making a turn.

I checked the same compartment on the other side and it is bone dry.

So... has anyone found water in the amplifier compartment before, and does anyone know where the **** it comes from?!?
Old 03-29-24, 07:29 PM
Sarbear
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey I have same volume issue and Same car

[QUOTE=CottageChz;10303953]
Turned on my car today to find I get no sound from my audio system. None of the sources produce any sound, nor does the remote touch interface play any sound through the speakers.

If I try to adjust the volume the volume level indicator does not come up on the screen. This is with both the volume **** and steering wheel controls. The only way I can get the volume indicator to show is if I mute the radio (hold mode on steering wheel or play/pause on center stack). Then when I adjust the volume it will show “Volume 19” for a second or two, but I cannot change the volume and then it disappears.

I have tried disconnecting my battery, and I also checked passenger side fuse box fuses 12 (audio system), 14 (multimedia, nav, remote touch), and 15 (audio system). I also turned off the audio system with single press, and turned it off with long press, which I think resets it. No audio with any of these methods and it still behaves the same way.

Any ideas?!?
[Hey I have same problem exactly and same exact year make and model car u ever solve this????

I hav
Old 03-29-24, 08:21 PM
Sarbear
2nd gear

Default CottageChz

Originally Posted by CottageChz

Any ideas?!?
I can't figure out how to message u I hope u see this @CottageChz I have same exact problem down to the volume 19 after mute u ever solve this?
Old 03-29-24, 09:48 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 466 Likes on 309 Posts

I had the same problem a few years ago.
Take it to Lexus and they do an "exchange" head unit for $500.
Your old Pioneer head unit will be sent back to the factory for refurbishment.

Apart from rough idle caused by dirty air mass sensor, and short longevity shock absorbers, the audio head unit is the only other issue I've had since brand new.
Old 03-30-24, 06:24 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sarbear
I can't figure out how to message u I hope u see this @CottageChz I have same exact problem down to the volume 19 after mute u ever solve this?
Did you check the amp compartment in the trunk? I had water there which was almost certainly the cause of my problem. Replaced the amp and I was good, though I had to make sure the new one wouldn’t get wet. It’s under the floor on the right side of the trunk, check it out.
Old 04-20-24, 07:31 PM
GeneK
1st Gear

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I had the same problem a few years ago.
Take it to Lexus and they do an "exchange" head unit for $500.
Your old Pioneer head unit will be sent back to the factory for refurbishment.

Apart from rough idle caused by dirty air mass sensor, and short longevity shock absorbers, the audio head unit is the only other issue I've had since brand new.

Hello,
May I ask which Lexus dealer you went to? I am having a similar issue with my head unit. Nav/Radio works randomly, about once a month. Backup camera and AC works just fine everyday..
I am in southern CA

Thank you.
Old 04-23-24, 06:19 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

It's not the head unit, it's the amp in the trunk that's the issue. Common issue.
Old 04-24-24, 04:32 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts

I went through this a couple of years ago. Amp unit was dry in trunk fortunately. Radio would work when it wanted to, but I had full power for Nav. Discovered my problem was that I was afraid to turn the radio off because people had posted the button sticks, so I was “muting” it by holding the source button. I stopped doing this and I just leave the radio on when I turn off the car. I lower the volume, but do not turn it off, and I do not use the Source button at all. Have not had a problem in two years now. So try pushing the source button a couple of times. It could be something related to that. Just a thought.
Old 04-24-24, 05:24 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 258 Likes on 194 Posts

Amp could be dry but still have blown components inside causing symptoms mentioned by OP. This was my case.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post11639921

Quick Reply: Audio system problem - no sound - help please!