GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How is your no drill spoiler holding up with tape only?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-19, 06:46 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
Default How is your no drill spoiler holding up with tape only?

Hi guys, I'm getting ready to install a lip spoiler I got from eBay. Tape only, no drilling required.
I was wondering if anyone installed these types of spoilers on their car and how is it holding up with just tape?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-19, 06:50 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Not a lip, but the fsport trunk spoiler has been on our 2014 since 2015 with just 3m tape, and has held up incredibly well, even through the WNY winters.
Old 08-14-19, 07:01 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I've installed trunk spoilers on many cars and they all hold up. Key is prepping both surfaces, and not using the "3m" tape they give u and instead go buy your own double sided tape. I like to use gorilla glues double sided tape. Prep well, stick if down, and let it sit in the sun. U wont be able to pry it off.
Old 08-14-19, 08:17 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,154 Likes on 851 Posts

Installed my OEM Lux spoiler with just the supplied tape and additional 3M tape (cut off the bolts). Has held up very well with no issues for 4+ years. Agreed with fellow member @Albo that prep is key: use alcohol/wipes to clean the area, make sure its dry and also at least 70+ degrees out.

When applying the spoiler, use firm and even pressure (get a second pair of hands if possible). It should bond to the surface very well especially if you leave it in the sun for a day or hit it with a heat gun for a few minutes immediately after initial adhesion.
Old 08-14-19, 08:22 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Yea I dont ever see a need to screw in a spoiler unless you have one of those race car wings that dont have much contact surface with the car. Just clean it well, most spoiler kits come with adhesion promoter wipes, use those as indicated after cleaning and prepping with alcohol. Then make sure it's a hot day, and apply with nice pressure. I even put a towel over one I did and laid some weights on it(obviously super carefully). Its literally the easiest mod to do. Easier than a front lip, since u dont have to lay down on the ground!
Old 08-14-19, 08:23 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Thanks guys! That makes me feel a lot better for not having bolts.

On the other hand, why shouldn't I use the 3m tape they supplied me? Is there something wrong with 3m brand? Thanks!
Old 08-14-19, 08:25 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swat1727
Thanks guys! That makes me feel a lot better for not having bolts.

On the other hand, why shouldn't I use the 3m tape they supplied me? Is there something wrong with 3m brand? Thanks!
I've run into kits that supply you with some bootleg cheap looking "3m" tape. I use quotes because 3m is a respectable brand and their tape is good quality. But some of the stuff I've seen that comes with these Ebay spoilers from China is junk.
Old 08-14-19, 08:34 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Originally Posted by Albo
I've run into kits that supply you with some bootleg cheap looking "3m" tape. I use quotes because 3m is a respectable brand and their tape is good quality. But some of the stuff I've seen that comes with these Ebay spoilers from China is junk.
Great advice. I looked at the tape they gave me, and you are right, not 3m brand. Definitely ordering new tape! Thank you!
Old 08-15-19, 07:39 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes the double sided tape used has a foam backing, which may be difficult to replicate the thickness when using your own tape. You might have to stack the 3M double sided red tape 2 or 3 times to get the desired thickness, otherwise it won't touch/stick to the body of the car. You can also use 3M adhesion promoter/primer to get a good stick.
Old 08-15-19, 07:44 AM
Albo
Pole Position

As long as you buy double sided 'mounting' tape it will have that foam thickness that you are describing.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...waAtRQEALw_wcB
This is what I use. Works well.
Old 08-15-19, 09:23 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Mine is not holding up well, but I used the supplied "3m" tape and could be bootleg tape.

Annnddddd, the Cuztom Tuning carbon fiber spoiler was not straight, so it started a bit crooked. As such it was fine for a month or so, then started coming off on 1 end. I've been fighting with Amazon seller for months trying to get a replacement.

What I learned is as long as you use good tape, and get quality product, you should be fine.
Old 08-15-19, 10:39 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,047 Likes on 662 Posts

Yea especially if u prepped it right. I installed a spoiler on my old Camry with just tape and it didn't budge a bit. I'd be more concern on installation error or crooked cause once it's stuck on there, it'll be a disaster to remove.

Now a friend of mine installed a rather big roof spoiler on his rear window using just tape and it flew off on the freeway. Maybe he was using a cheap tape and didn't prep it properly but those heavy duty 3M tape will stick like crazy.

Last edited by ItzFilyO; 08-15-19 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-15-19, 01:18 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Before installation, when they *assured* me if would go on fine if I used a heat gun. The aftermath which is after a month or 2....

Old 08-15-19, 01:20 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Before installation, when they *assured* me if would go on fine if I used a heat gun. The aftermath which is after a month or 2....
This seems like a design or mfg defect: both my spoilers sat properly flush without tape. The tape just keeps them in place.
Old 08-15-19, 01:26 PM
NickMayer
Advanced

Originally Posted by jonathancl
This seems like a design or mfg defect: both my spoilers sat properly flush without tape. The tape just keeps them in place.
Yea, that's what I've been telling them. It took a scathing seller feedback on amazon for them to even reply back to me. I'm still waiting for them to get a new one, actually test it this time, then ship a new one. Pain in my ***. Wish I had held out for the one from Elvin, lol

Quick Reply: How is your no drill spoiler holding up with tape only?