GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How Long Do Your Rotors and Brakes Last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-19, 01:32 PM
tangierc
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Long Do Your Rotors and Brakes Last?

2013 GS-350-FSport

Per my post here (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...loorboard.html)
tarting out with an abrasive feeling, since my equipment was changed to parts 43512-WY010 and 43516-WY-020 (rotors and pads along with some other accompanying parts) the brakes have squealed constantly. I didn't have this pervasive problem with the previous equipment. You would have thought I would have taken it right back to the dealer/service center. However each time I took it, there was a new issue when I left and I'd had enough going there; it took too much time dealing with each issue, loaner, getting there, etc. and I was no longer the primary driver. My wife took over the car and didn't complain about it though it did bother her. So here I am playing catch up.

Folks how long do your rotors and brakes last or rather should they last? I understand that with driving conditions there's no one answer. I am trying to get this abhorrent brake squealing resolved. My rotors and brakes were changed at the end of June 2018 (see above); changed from the two part rotors to single part steel. Today I went to a tire and brake service shop and I was told that I needed new rotors and brakes. This is a place I've been to before for tires on my car twice and they've been honest with me and have better pricing than other places nearby. I say this meaning I don't believe (and I hope not) that they're trying to scam me.

I find it hard to believe that a little over a year I need rotors and brakes. My wife has taken over driving the car as of October last year and she doesn't drive nearly as hard as I would have. Yet since we've had this vehicle we haven't had to changes rotors and pads every year to year and a half. So clearly I am little concerned.

I've called several brake service shops around Los Angeles and they tell me to take it Lexus, but they say it as if this is a known issue that lots of people have a problem with and only Lexus can fix it properly, which I highly doubt. Others have said they traded in the car because of this persistent issue.

What say you.
[img]images/statusicon/user_online.gif[/img] [img]images/buttons/report.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-19, 03:08 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,152 Likes on 850 Posts

How many miles have you driven the car since the last time you changed your brakes/rotors? Rotors should last longer than brakes in general. However, most folks with F-Sports have seen them last only 20k-30k miles.

I have non F sport GS with 58k miles. The car was serviced at Lexus for its life and i purchased it CPO in 2015. The previous owner had the front brakes done right before I bought the car. I had the rears done when I bought it in 2015. I recently changed the front rotors/brakes earlier this year after 4yrs and 15k miles (mostly stop and go NYC traffic).
Old 08-31-19, 04:52 PM
Edlcworld
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my F-sport with 18K , changed pads and rotors at 40K. When the old ones were removed they were OEM, I dont think they have ever been changed. I now have 16K on the new ones; no problems what so ever besides the annoying screeching when the rotors are cold.
Old 09-03-19, 09:52 AM
tangierc
Driver

Mileage at the time the rotors and brakes were changes was 80,713. Now I am about 91k miles so that's about 11k to answer your question. Though most of those miles have been driven by my wife on freeway commutes to and from work, picking up kids. She doesn't drive hard. She hasn't even use sport mode yet; coming form a 2006 Acura TSX maybe she just doesn't feel the need to lol.
Old 09-05-19, 04:01 AM
AsianxWu
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Bought my car with 20k miles on it last May.

Changed front pads at 30k, changed rear pads and rotors at 35k.

I also changed my front pads (again) and rotors at 35k with the rears just to have a clean slate, but it wasn't needed.
Old 01-28-20, 09:12 PM
Ghicks99
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anybody know which part number for the 2016-up F-sport shim kit? It gives two but doesnt narrow down F-sport on the lexus parts site

The following users liked this post:
Supraman18 (02-24-23)
Old 01-29-20, 03:05 AM
richard203
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

i changed mines around 18k-20k
Old 01-29-20, 03:40 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by richard203
i changed mines around 18k-20k
I bought my car with 64k miles, currently 98k miles, don't know when the previous, owner did brakes, but I inspected myself recently, and still got 20-30% of the pad left on the front. The 450h is really good with pad life.
Old 01-29-20, 03:46 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tangierc
2013 GS-350-FSport

Per my post here (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...loorboard.html)
tarting out with an abrasive feeling, since my equipment was changed to parts 43512-WY010 and 43516-WY-020 (rotors and pads along with some other accompanying parts) the brakes have squealed constantly. I didn't have this pervasive problem with the previous equipment. You would have thought I would have taken it right back to the dealer/service center. However each time I took it, there was a new issue when I left and I'd had enough going there; it took too much time dealing with each issue, loaner, getting there, etc. and I was no longer the primary driver. My wife took over the car and didn't complain about it though it did bother her. So here I am playing catch up.

Folks how long do your rotors and brakes last or rather should they last? I understand that with driving conditions there's no one answer. I am trying to get this abhorrent brake squealing resolved. My rotors and brakes were changed at the end of June 2018 (see above); changed from the two part rotors to single part steel. Today I went to a tire and brake service shop and I was told that I needed new rotors and brakes. This is a place I've been to before for tires on my car twice and they've been honest with me and have better pricing than other places nearby. I say this meaning I don't believe (and I hope not) that they're trying to scam me.

I find it hard to believe that a little over a year I need rotors and brakes. My wife has taken over driving the car as of October last year and she doesn't drive nearly as hard as I would have. Yet since we've had this vehicle we haven't had to changes rotors and pads every year to year and a half. So clearly I am little concerned.

I've called several brake service shops around Los Angeles and they tell me to take it Lexus, but they say it as if this is a known issue that lots of people have a problem with and only Lexus can fix it properly, which I highly doubt. Others have said they traded in the car because of this persistent issue.

What say you.
[img]images/statusicon/user_online.gif[/img] [img]images/buttons/report.gif[/img]
WTF, stick your phone in your spokes and post a pic of your front pads so we can see how much meat is left on the pads. No way your rotors are shot in one year unless your tracking the car or driving some crazy mileage. I call BS.
edit: I now realize this post is from 08/2019

Also there is no need to change rotors with every pad change, complete waste of money, people are trowing out perfectly good rotors for no good reason. If the front rotors measure a thickness less than 27 mm or they are out of round(warped, never had this happen to me with a factory toyota or honda rotor) then you need to change, otherwise your wasting your money.

Last edited by peasodos; 01-29-20 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-29-20, 04:07 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ghicks99
Does anybody know which part number for the 2016-up F-sport shim kit? It gives two but doesnt narrow down F-sport on the lexus parts site

@Ghicks99
It depends what your front pads look like. post a pic for us. On my 450h it's the second one.

It's the second one(0494530340) if your pads look like this:

Last edited by peasodos; 01-29-20 at 04:13 AM.
Old 01-29-20, 04:27 AM
ch0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Here’s a list of parts needed to replace your brakes on AWD models..

The following 3 users liked this post by ch0n:
Astrokat (01-29-20), mkmckinley (01-31-20), OUT FOX EM (01-30-20)
Old 01-30-20, 03:43 AM
Ghicks99
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
@Ghicks99
It depends what your front pads look like. post a pic for us. On my 450h it's the second one.

It's the second one(0494530340) if your pads look like this:

Well damn, I already replaced mine with akebono. This is the set I got. Looks like what you posted
Old 01-30-20, 04:09 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ghicks99
Well damn, I already replaced mine with akebono. This is the set I got. Looks like what you posted
The oem pads are about the same price on discount parts monster, I would still transfer or buy new oem shims.
Old 01-30-20, 04:38 AM
A3A
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Is this issue only on the RWD F Sport which has different brakes or are the AWD F Sports affected by this issue too?
Old 01-30-20, 08:33 AM
tangierc
Driver

continued here folks:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...l#post10720326

Quick Reply: How Long Do Your Rotors and Brakes Last?