GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-20, 07:59 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts

Anybody have an issue similar to this: While Im in carplay mode whenever i move the joystick around I seem to make selections on the Lexus system as well (I just cant see it). Sometimes doing this switches my audio from AUX to AM.

FWIW i didnt install one of the cables because the instructions say its not needed.
Old 10-13-20, 09:27 PM
aj2pointo
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MX73
Hey aj2pointo, I was going over your post. So this is pretty much a screen replacement with android OS running in the background that also mimics the Lexus interface?

Yes that’s more or less the gist. Think of it as an android tablet that replaces your OEM screen, whereas something like GROM uses the factory screen but then keeps the Android OS hardware in a serprate box and just outputs the video signal to the OEM screen. You know how you can hook stuff up to a TV and then switch between sources like a Amazon Fire Stick/BluRay Player/game console. That’s more or less how both of them work when you hold down the menu button and you switch between the OEM side and android/CarPlay side.
Old 10-14-20, 09:55 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by byungkuk
Anybody have an issue similar to this: While Im in carplay mode whenever i move the joystick around I seem to make selections on the Lexus system as well (I just cant see it). Sometimes doing this switches my audio from AUX to AM.

FWIW i didnt install one of the cables because the instructions say its not needed.
I had the same issue on my IS350 you might be able to fix it this way but it didn't work out for me.

Old 10-14-20, 10:24 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dojoman
I had the same issue on my IS350 you might be able to fix it this way but it didn't work out for me.
Hmmm so i should just install that cable even though the instruction says i dont need it??
Old 10-14-20, 10:30 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Hmmm so i should just install that cable even though the instruction says i dont need it??
Yes, their instructions are not very clear, my car doesn't have split screen and they told me to connect to split screen connector. Mouse stopped working completely, if I go back to non-split connector I can use the mouse but same issues as yours controlling both systems at same time. I took out this unit and went with 10.25" Android screen.
Old 10-14-20, 08:48 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Anyone here receive an firmware update from their seller? I did some googling and based on this bimmerpost thread..

The latest version should be 9.2.8 and MCU ver 20.06.02
Old 10-15-20, 07:40 AM
denary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran into the same issue with my install. I was instructed to install the additional cable and did, but it did not correct for the issue. I ended up changing the dip switch settings and that worked, so not sure if it was a combination of the two?? I can't recollect what I changed the dip switch settings to, I'd have to remove the glove box to confirm.

I'm also running into the same issue you reported in the other thread where the unit will randomly reboot itself. That seems to have been introduced with the upgrade to iOS 14.
Old 10-15-20, 08:04 AM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by denary
I ran into the same issue with my install. I was instructed to install the additional cable and did, but it did not correct for the issue. I ended up changing the dip switch settings and that worked, so not sure if it was a combination of the two?? I can't recollect what I changed the dip switch settings to, I'd have to remove the glove box to confirm.

I'm also running into the same issue you reported in the other thread where the unit will randomly reboot itself. That seems to have been introduced with the upgrade to iOS 14.
regarding the reboot i wonder if an update to the unit will fix that...i bought mine secondhand so i dont know who to contact to get the update. As i said above i believe the latest version is 9.2.8.

i followed the instructions within this thread:
ON 2,3,5
OFF 1,4,6,7,8

So you have that additional cable plugged into the screen? Not sure how that fixes it... but thanks!
Old 10-15-20, 09:11 AM
denary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

regarding the reboot i wonder if an update to the unit will fix that...i bought mine secondhand so i dont know who to contact to get the update. As i said above i believe the latest version is 9.2.8.

i followed the instructions within this thread:
ON 2,3,5
OFF 1,4,6,7,8

So you have that additional cable plugged into the screen? Not sure how that fixes it... but thanks!
I believe the additional cable is for the joystick models, but tech support suggested I install it. Try setting your dip switch setting to 2 and 3 ON.

With regards to any updates, you can try contacting CarlinKit via Aliexpress - they should be able to provide you with an update without the need to verify your order.

*edit* - I contacted Carlinkit support via Aliexpress and was informed that "mcu new version is still in process, please wait"

Last edited by denary; 10-21-20 at 05:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
byungkuk (10-15-20)
Old 11-05-20, 06:14 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 563 Likes on 330 Posts

So I just got this kit in and installed it immediately. It’s pretty disappointing with the joystick.

It seems like it moves the cursor according to what’s on the OEM INTERFACE.

If I’m on the CARLINKIT INTERFACE, it doesn’t allow me to move up and down, only what’s shown on the OEM INTERFACE.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I’m on the menu homepage on my OEM screen, and it sure is moving along with those selections.

Here’s a video of my joystick.
https://imgur.com/a/JXtJXjj
Old 11-05-20, 06:45 PM
byungkuk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by itsRaymond
So I just got this kit in and installed it immediately. It’s pretty disappointing with the joystick.

It seems like it moves the cursor according to what’s on the OEM INTERFACE.

If I’m on the CARLINKIT INTERFACE, it doesn’t allow me to move up and down, only what’s shown on the OEM INTERFACE.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I’m on the menu homepage on my OEM screen, and it sure is moving along with those selections.

Here’s a video of my joystick.
https://imgur.com/a/JXtJXjj
What MY is your GS? If you read the thread, 13-15 have issues with the unit. If you have 16+, did you double check the tabs on the back of unit? I only have 2,3,5 ON and rest OFF also I didn't connect one of the plugs to the back of the screen as the instructions stated that it wasn't necessary... did you also update the latest firmware posted by peasodos?

Looking at your video again - mine doesn't "bounce" like that but for me the joystick is a bit off centered to the right so i have more room to move it to the left.. but once you start using it you get used to it..

Last edited by byungkuk; 11-05-20 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-05-20, 07:26 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

What MY is your GS? If you read the thread, 13-15 have issues with the unit. If you have 16+, did you double check the tabs on the back of unit? I only have 2,3,5 ON and rest OFF also I didn't connect one of the plugs to the back of the screen as the instructions stated that it wasn't necessary... did you also update the latest firmware posted by peasodos?

Looking at your video again - mine doesn't "bounce" like that but for me the joystick is a bit off centered to the right so i have more room to move it to the left.. but once you start losing it you get used to it..
I also have 2,3,5 on as I found the one for 12.3 is flickering.

I spoke to Carlinkit and I have an extra harness that goes into the joystick. Apparently, it’s an updated version/design. I will do those connections and post back.

it’s the harness on the bottom left that daisy chains with OEM joystick harness/joystick.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TzIqrmH
Old 11-06-20, 12:01 AM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Measured
Here's a video of what I am currently experiencing.

Click Me
are you still experiencing this? I am having this issue and I cannot control anything!

Originally Posted by peasodos
ok so I didn't pull the plug from the back of the 12.3" display yet, but apparently after the firmware update the up/down with the mouse does work in my car, I guess I never tried it before.

https://youtu.be/OVK9R87ZTQ8
so you have the screen harness daisy chained here? With the 13-15 mouse control?
Old 11-06-20, 12:12 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by itsRaymond
are you still experiencing this? I am having this issue and I cannot control anything!

so you have the screen harness daisy chained here? With the 13-15 mouse control?
This only works for 2016+ head unit. never got this to work with 2013-2015 head unit.
Old 11-06-20, 10:56 PM
nightleaf
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone here receive an firmware update from their seller? I did some googling and based on this bimmerpost thread..

The latest version should be 9.2.8 and MCU ver 20.06.02

I was able to obtain 9.2.9 from carlinkit.. I am going to test it out in my RX tomorrow and will share if it works out...
The following users liked this post:
byungkuk (11-06-20)

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319