GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-21, 10:25 PM
ZackXiong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carlinkit got installed today. I found some problem.
1. The Carplay picture cannot stretch/ fit the screen, the bottom of the screen still displays the original head unit map.
2. There has very small static sound in AUX mode.
3. I need to switch to AUX mode manually every time.
Old 01-22-21, 10:29 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by ZackXiong
Carlinkit got installed today. I found some problem.
1. The Carplay picture cannot stretch/ fit the screen, the bottom of the screen still displays the original head unit map.
2. There has very small static sound in AUX mode.
3. I need to switch to AUX mode manually every time.
You could have the wrong dip switch setting. Look earlier in the thread we posted what each switch does.

or

i believe in the Carlinkit menu setting there might be some adjustments, but from the looks of it I think it’s the dip switch.
Old 01-22-21, 11:29 PM
ZackXiong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right! My switch setting is incorrect. It should be 2,3,5 on.
Old 01-23-21, 11:18 AM
Measured
Advanced

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Marth06
Ok so after reading the majority of the thread, to summarise the Carlinkit for GS models using apple CarPlay

1) 2013-15 GS 12.3 inch split screen - has issues with the mouse pointer on the split screen. Also mouse pointer movement is jerky.
2) 2016+ 12.3 inch split screen - generally works well. Mouse pointer generally works well with latest firmware update.

Would that generally sum it up for apple CarPlay on GS models?

I have 2013 GS F sport but with 8 inch screen and premium sound. Do you think I will have any issues seeing as I don’t have split screen??
F sport or not, you've summarized where you fall into. If I were you, I would look at other options.
Old 01-23-21, 04:49 PM
Marth06
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Measured
F sport or not, you've summarized where you fall into. If I were you, I would look at other options.
I thought the issue on the 13-15 models was because of the split screen. I only have the single 8” screen, not the split screen so you still think I would have issues?
Old 01-23-21, 07:04 PM
NikNikNik
Pole Position

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Ok so I got my unit may last year and it’s been great but then I wanted a turbo kit for my car so I dropped it off for 2 months in December till today and when I got my car back the CarPlay unit seems to have died. The shop said they never touched it so any ideas on why my CarPlay unit just died. Dosnt make a click sound when it turns on, I can’t get into the menu, and when I unplug the lvds coble on my unit it make the screen go black. Meaning the box still doing something but the CarPlay side and menu part are completely dead.

I tried unplugging and repluging to no avail, usb connection dosnt work either and when I use aux Audio it has a tiny bit of static
Old 01-23-21, 10:03 PM
Measured
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marth06
I thought the issue on the 13-15 models was because of the split screen. I only have the single 8” screen, not the split screen so you still think I would have issues?
You're right, but I'd still be hesitant to give it a try. It has been my understanding that most pre 16+'s have had issues, but I could be wrong with the 8'' in particular. Perhaps purchasing it on Amazon to try and returning if it doesn't work out?
Old 02-08-21, 11:04 AM
Measured
Advanced

Anyone having any issues with signal interference. It sounds like a grounding issues for me (alternator whine).
Old 02-08-21, 06:34 PM
denary
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone having any issues with signal interference. It sounds like a grounding issues for me (alternator whine).
See post 558

Originally Posted by peasodos
With the original Beatsonic kit they say to install a Ground Loop Noise Isolator inline with the aux output if you get this buzzing noise.

"Ground loop problems are caused by small voltage differences that normally exist between the ‘grounds’ at the send and receive ends of a signal cable. In an unbalanced interface, this ground voltage difference directly adds to the signal. This generally produces hum or buzz in audio. A ground isolator in the signal path is the fundamentally correct way to eliminate system ground loop problems."

Splicing something like this into the aux output might solve your issue:
https://www.amazon.com/Isolator-BOSS...6HCHZP09D&th=1
​​​​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by denary:
CAKETOWN (02-08-21), Measured (02-09-21), NickMayer (02-09-21)
Old 02-09-21, 07:35 AM
NickMayer
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Carlinkit is down to $272 on Ali right now... Finally time to pull the trigger I think. Would love some AA action, especially if its wireless.
Old 02-09-21, 10:42 PM
Measured
Advanced

Originally Posted by denary
See post 558

Thanks! Wondering if anyone has actually done this though? I had zero humming/buzzing grounding issues when I first had this installed. I suspect that one of the cables is causing interference as well.
Old 02-10-21, 09:01 AM
denary
Driver

Thanks! Wondering if anyone has actually done this though? I had zero humming/buzzing grounding issues when I first had this installed. I suspect that one of the cables is causing interference as well.
I have not done it. Like you, I didn't have the buzzing issue when I initially installed the Carlinkit, but now it's intermittent.
Old 02-10-21, 09:07 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by NickMayer
Carlinkit is down to $272 on Ali right now... Finally time to pull the trigger I think. Would love some AA action, especially if its wireless.
I would suggest buying from ebay even if it costs a little more. PITA to return on Ali and customer support is a joke they have very limited English.
The following 2 users liked this post by dojoman:
denary (02-10-21), NickMayer (02-10-21)
Old 02-10-21, 09:49 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by denary
I have not done it. Like you, I didn't have the buzzing issue when I initially installed the Carlinkit, but now it's intermittent.
How would this even work?
Amazon Amazon

The carlinkit audio does not run through this device, so how would it help with the buzzing?
Old 02-10-21, 01:13 PM
denary
Driver

Originally Posted by ericsan13
How would this even work?
Amazon Amazon

The carlinkit audio does not run through this device, so how would it help with the buzzing?
that's not the same part that peasodos linked in his original post.

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319