SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

These components are designed to be removed and reinstalled
Old 02-07-20, 10:50 AM
Onsit
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

What risk is there exactly? All of the Trim panels on the GS, F-SPORT, and my GS-F use the same exact tabs and screws. The pieces are built to be taken off. These cars are 50k+ because of the sum of R&D + cost of engines, transmissions, ECU/TCU, and Toyota's multiplex system. The interior is an after thought and hardly equates to the total cost of the machine in terms of production and replacement. If you brake a tab on one of the side leather trim pieces, no big deal - you can easily source a replacement. Same for the glove box, same for the fake carbon fiber trim above the glove box.

Don't be afraid to work on your car.

This is like say, well my car is $90,000 better not change the oil myself.
Old 02-07-20, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

And the clips and all in the dash are really robust
Old 02-07-20, 11:14 AM
jdpdata
Instructor

Received 444 Likes on 305 Posts

Agreed. I've taken apart the dash and glovebox many times. No issues with rattles if you're careful not to break any tabs. Lexus designed and manufactured the parts very well and it's very easy to remove panels. In fact, when I first purchased my car, it had a horrible rattle in area between the cup-holder and shift ****. I was able to take apart with detailed instructions provided here by CL members and place some automotive felt tape in there, now it's super quiet, no more rattles.
Old 02-07-20, 12:36 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Installing the alpine backup camera requires removing the rear seats, and disassembling most of the trunk lid.

With guidance lines. The yellow turns with the steering wheel.

Without guidance lines

The following users liked this post:
NICKLASISF (06-03-23)
Old 02-07-20, 01:49 PM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Holy Crap, you took apart the back seats and the trunk to put the rear camera in? I am not surprised though, since you are like Mikey from the Life cereal commercial. You will try anything. That is great Peasodos. Glad you got it all working again. One day I will be rereading your whole power mirror escapade adventure. That seems reasonable to me, and adds functionality I do not have in my 2013. If they can fix this on the split screen, maybe I would try it, since I like the wireless mirroring feature. Keep up the good work Peasodos. Problem is, I do not think there is anything left for you to do to your car. How are you going to spend your idle time
Old 02-07-20, 02:20 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hues10
Holy Crap, you took apart the back seats and the trunk to put the rear camera in? I am not surprised though, since you are like Mikey from the Life cereal commercial. You will try anything. That is great Peasodos. Glad you got it all working again. One day I will be rereading your whole power mirror escapade adventure. That seems reasonable to me, and adds functionality I do not have in my 2013. If they can fix this on the split screen, maybe I would try it, since I like the wireless mirroring feature. Keep up the good work Peasodos. Problem is, I do not think there is anything left for you to do to your car. How are you going to spend your idle time
Yes I had to do all that to run the video wire from the backup camera to behind the glove box were I installed the carlinkit.
As far as electronics go I'm almost done. I have the ion generator that I never installed. For the rest of the car I just wanted to wrap my door trim gloss black and also the roof. Also the 2016 clock I have to wire and install.
Also 3 aluminum interior door handles I have yet to install.

Then I'm basically done with my car and go into retirement until I get an LS in 5-8 years.
Old 02-07-20, 02:26 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,274 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
This V8 engine was spotted being delivered to his address!

Old 02-07-20, 02:35 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
This V8 engine was spotted being delivered to his address!

I have a 450h how is that supposed to work? The V8 is a better suited mod for @eddie420 once he gets another GS.
Im2bz2p345 (02-08-20)
Old 02-07-20, 02:40 PM
eddie420

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I have a 450h how is that supposed to work? The V8 is a better suited mod for @eddie420 once he gets another GS.
Oh no, you are the modking, this is all you! I am an old man in an RX FSport.
Old 02-11-20, 07:41 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a pic of my aftermarket alpine backup camera mounted in the same spot as oem with the trim piece off.

Now with the trim piece on, it looks oem

Last edited by peasodos; 02-11-20 at 07:50 AM.
c2fordy5 (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 11:48 AM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Installing the alpine backup camera requires removing the rear seats, and disassembling most of the trunk lid.

With guidance lines. The yellow turns with the steering wheel.

Without guidance lines
Dude, that is super neat! Hats off to you man. With that much display real estate, I think it would be cool to have that 360 birds eye view on there and the popup left/right turn upon turning on the directional signal. Too bad I have the Grom unit. I wonder how much their camera input option can do? Has anyone done anything with that. I still think your camera work is super dope!
Old 02-11-20, 12:53 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by c2fordy5
Dude, that is super neat! Hats off to you man. With that much display real estate, I think it would be cool to have that 360 birds eye view on there and the popup left/right turn upon turning on the directional signal. Too bad I have the Grom unit. I wonder how much their camera input option can do? Has anyone done anything with that. I still think your camera work is super dope!
I find left and right turn cameras super annoying and unnecessary, experienced that in another car. There are aftermarket kits to setup 360 camera. I would have to install the cameras in the side mirrors and the front grill. Then calibrate everything. With mats they provide on the ground.
Old 02-11-20, 02:11 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by eddie420
Oh no, you are the modking, this is all you! I am an old man in an RX FSport.
But at least you have the f-sport and it looks nice. I would say the previous gen f-sport was the boring old man car.
Old 02-11-20, 06:08 PM
c2fordy5
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I find left and right turn cameras super annoying and unnecessary, experienced that in another car. There are aftermarket kits to setup 360 camera. I would have to install the cameras in the side mirrors and the front grill. Then calibrate everything. With mats they provide on the ground.
I hear you in a way. I still wouldn’t mind the 360 pano view but I do understand it’s a lot of work lol

Quick Reply: Carlinkit Android Auto Apple Carplay for $319