GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Infotainment Broken after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-19, 05:10 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Infotainment Broken after battery replacement

So I had my mom visit me today, and when she was leaving her car wouldn't start. I used my power bank to jump her and we concluded it was a bad battery. Everything was working just fine before. I had a merchandise card to Pepboys so I told her to go there and get a new Bosch battery. Well once they switched the batteries out, now her infotainment screen is screwed up. When you start the car, the Lexus symbol comes on (so the LCD panel works), it goes black for about 15-20 seconds, and then the side menu to the right shows up with 3 options for media, AC, and info. Pressing the menu button or any other button does not work. The mouse will let you hover over the options, but when you move it to go to the left side, it goes there shows a square and shrinks till its gone. I tried the Reset method for the 2014 IS350, and nothing. The AC still works with the buttons under the CD drive, and the cd drive eject feature still works. The power/volume button for the radio does nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? Or how to possibly reset this system? I've tried the suggestion in this link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...n-black-3.html

But to no avail. That makes no sense why a simple battery change would kill that system. And I for the life of me, cannot find any write up how reset the infotainment system for the 2013 GS 350. I have attached a few pictures of what it shows.

Old 11-02-19, 05:50 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Sometimes simply changing a battery without retaining system voltage can cause all sorts of problems - with NAV screen readout, navigation system fails to operate, automatic emergency brake locks, A/C system fails to operate correctly, engine won't start, CEL throwing codes, engine performs very poorly because MAF needs cleaning, engine ECU locks, etc., etc. Sometimes it can cost hundreds of dollars to diagnose what the problem is and correct it...

Pep Boys should have known better than to replace the battery without keeping voltage on the car's system. The Lexus service technician or NTB (National Tire & Battery) would never allow that to happen.
Old 11-02-19, 06:01 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

^I wish I knew that before as well....this is our first foray into a 'fancy' car (I've had older Lexi, but there were all basic vehicles).

If they ended up screwing something up, do you think I could hold them responsible for paying repair costs for w/e they screwed up?
Old 11-02-19, 06:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
^I wish I knew that before as well....this is our first foray into a 'fancy' car (I've had older Lexi, but there were all basic vehicles).

If they ended up screwing something up, do you think I could hold them responsible for paying repair costs for w/e they screwed up?
I rather doubt it.
Old 11-02-19, 08:06 PM
j3rf
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Sometimes simply changing a battery without retaining system voltage can cause all sorts of problems - with NAV screen readout, navigation system fails to operate, automatic emergency brake locks, A/C system fails to operate correctly, engine won't start, CEL throwing codes, engine performs very poorly because MAF needs cleaning, engine ECU locks, etc., etc. Sometimes it can cost hundreds of dollars to diagnose what the problem is and correct it...

Pep Boys should have known better than to replace the battery without keeping voltage on the car's system. The Lexus service technician or NTB (National Tire & Battery) would never allow that to happen.
Nah the Lexus dealer I worked at did not use anything to retain battery voltage in the system when changing batteries. Just swapped it out like any other battery.
The following 7 users liked this post by j3rf:
Ellis4 (11-07-19), GradeA (11-06-19), Im2bz2p345 (11-05-19), jonathancl (11-04-19), nallis (11-06-19), NickMayer (11-03-19), robm (04-06-22) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-02-19, 08:25 PM
davyboygs
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I have totally disconnected my battery several times without any problem from the infotainment system. I would suggest that you disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes, then reconnect it and follow the on screen warnings as the system reloads. Hope this helps.
The following 3 users liked this post by davyboygs:
gadgetman1 (11-06-19), Im2bz2p345 (11-05-19), jonathancl (11-04-19)
Old 11-02-19, 09:32 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

I've disconnect my battery several times to work on my car and changed my battery, no issues. When you reconnect the battery and turn on the car its supposed to load the navigation system, show a picture of a hard drive and a progress bar. Once that loads it goes to the normal nav screen.

Like the other guy said try disconnecting your battery for 5 minutes or 30 for good measure and reconnect. Make sure you reconnect the positive first then the negative. Throwing both on at the same time or the other way around can cause issuies.

Last edited by peasodos; 11-03-19 at 03:58 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by peasodos:
drgrant (11-03-19), Im2bz2p345 (11-05-19), jonathancl (11-04-19), NickMayer (11-03-19)
Old 11-02-19, 09:38 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

I've tried 5 min, 10 min, even up to half an hour.....still same thing . When you start it up, you get the Lexus logo, then black screen for about 15-25 seconds, then that left side appears with everything inoperable. Does anyone know where the 'computer' for the infotainment system is? Is there a procedure to reset it to factory like the link I posted of another thread with an IS? Appreciate the help guys.
Old 11-03-19, 12:08 AM
Cal916
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the same thing happen to mine. Lexus had to replace the unit
The following users liked this post:
j3rf (11-03-19)
Old 11-03-19, 01:08 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

I've tried 5 min, 10 min, even up to half an hour.....still same thing . When you start it up, you get the Lexus logo, then black screen for about 15-25 seconds, then that left side appears with everything inoperable. Does anyone know where the 'computer' for the infotainment system is? Is there a procedure to reset it to factory like the link I posted of another thread with an IS? Appreciate the help guys.
It's behaving like something is unplugged on the back side of the radio/head unit or the hard drive the navigation loads from is missing/disconnected from the car. That hard drive is inside the radio.

Did you check the fuses to see if anything blew? There is one under passenger side footwell and one under driver side. They are a PITA to check.
Old 11-03-19, 04:07 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Originally Posted by Cal916
Had the same thing happen to mine. Lexus had to replace the unit
Man I hope not......I hear they charge an arm and a leg for it.

Originally Posted by peasodos
It's behaving like something is unplugged on the back side of the radio/head unit or the hard drive the navigation loads from is missing/disconnected from the car. That hard drive is inside the radio.

Did you check the fuses to see if anything blew? There is one under passenger side footwell and one under driver side. They are a PITA to check.
I took the car back to pepboys yesterday and they said they checked all the fuses and they were fine.

I'm find with trying to dismantle it to plug/unplug some things. I just wish someone had a possible solution just like the IS thread one .
nickkaz (11-21-22)
Old 11-03-19, 04:10 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Man I hope not......I hear they charge an arm and a leg for it.

I took the car back to pepboys yesterday and they said they checked all the fuses and they were fine.

I'm find with trying to dismantle it to plug/unplug some things. I just wish someone had a possible solution just like the IS thread one .

Check passenger side fuse box, under the glove box. I doubt they even know there is a fuse box under there. Pep boys may have checked under the hood and the driver side.

Check Fuse 8, 14, and 18 those fuses are for the multimedia/navigation.

Rafadog (11-07-19)
Old 11-03-19, 04:16 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

^I'll take a look at that when I'm over there! Thanks for the suggestion. She did mention there were 4 of them hovering around her car when they were replacing the battery.......I'm curious if they realized they messed something up. The guy who worked there told me some BMW's require a dealer to reset the infotainment systems, but that sounds ridiculous that a manufacturer would make it to where you couldn't even change your own battery without their hand.
Old 11-03-19, 04:21 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

^I'll take a look at that when I'm over there! Thanks for the suggestion. She did mention there were 4 of them hovering around her car when they were replacing the battery.......I'm curious if they realized they messed something up. The guy who worked there told me some BMW's require a dealer to reset the infotainment systems, but that sounds ridiculous that a manufacturer would make it to where you couldn't even change your own battery without their hand.
Changing the battery does not require resetting the infotainment system at a dealer, that's a BS excuse. I changed the battery on this car myself recently.
Old 11-03-19, 09:23 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Checked all those fuses, and they were good...... Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Infotainment Broken after battery replacement