GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Clock spring making squeaking noise - question re parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-19, 02:02 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 312 Likes on 212 Posts
Default Clock spring making squeaking noise - question re parts

Like a couple of us my steering wheel makes a squeaking noise as I turn the wheel. A couple of other threads confirmed that the clock spring housing was the culprit, if anyone has had it repaired, do we know which part I need? Pre facelift GS.

Cable Sub-Assy, Spiral W/Sensor
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-cable-sub-assy-spir~84307-30120.html

Cable Sub-Assy, Spiral
https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-cable-set-spiral-w~84308-53010.html

Thanks!
Old 12-30-19, 03:48 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,564 Posts

I think one is for a heated steering wheel and the other is for a non-heated steering wheel. You should be able to put in your car's VIN# on the two websites you provided and let the website determine (Check Fit) which one is for your specific car. The first one (#84307-30120) fits my car, which does not have a heated steering wheel.
Old 12-30-19, 04:24 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Thanks BC, unfortunately my VIN is automatically rejected as it doesn't know the Star Spangled Banner.
After a call to my Lexus dealer and staring at Russian parts diagrams for half an hour it has clicked. 8430853010 is the clock spring alone, 8430730120 is the clock spring which comes with the steering angle sensor attached. The dealer confirmed this is the right part(no heater).

I'm assuming that it's the clock spring itself that is faulty and not the steering angle sensor(which attaches to the back of it) so I'm thinking just the spring will fix it - it's also the cheapest option. Perhaps I'm the first to attempt to rectify this out of warranty?
Old 12-30-19, 05:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwang
Thanks BC, unfortunately my VIN is automatically rejected as it doesn't know the Star Spangled Banner.
After a call to my Lexus dealer and staring at Russian parts diagrams for half an hour it has clicked. 8430853010 is the clock spring alone, 8430730120 is the clock spring which comes with the steering angle sensor attached. The dealer confirmed this is the right part(no heater).

I'm assuming that it's the clock spring itself that is faulty and not the steering angle sensor(which attaches to the back of it) so I'm thinking just the spring will fix it - it's also the cheapest option. Perhaps I'm the first to attempt to rectify this out of warranty?
Yes, that refreshes my mind a little. I think you are correct about the two parts. Your dealer should be able to make sure the right part number matches your car...
Old 12-31-19, 03:12 AM
Cwang
Instructor

This is more a post for those looking in the distant future(hello!), I'm ordering Toyota 84308-53010 - CABLE SUB-ASSY, SPIRAL and it's only $250 AUD, very happy with that. I'll update progress as it occurs. I have an awful oscillating vibration when revving 5K+ from the same area so with any luck I'll kill two birds with one stone.
Old 01-06-20, 09:25 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

This is more a post for those looking in the distant future(hello!), I'm ordering Toyota 84308-53010 - CABLE SUB-ASSY, SPIRAL and it's only $250 AUD, very happy with that. I'll update progress as it occurs. I have an awful oscillating vibration when revving 5K+ from the same area so with any luck I'll kill two birds with one stone.
Hey bud, Any news on the clock spring issue? I am having the same problem.. only I have no warranty.

Here is my thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...ng-issues.html

If at all possible, I was wondering if you can ask for the old part or inquire to see what exactly was the problem with the Clock Spring. This sucker on my car costs over $700 for a discounted part and even more at the dealer. The info would help me out a lot. I am wondering if I can just repair the existing clock spring..
Old 01-07-20, 12:02 AM
Cwang
Instructor

I am ordering it today as Amayama were closed for the holidays. That $700 price may be for the clock spring and the sensor, you don't need the sensor. I'm assuming it's just the clock spring mechanism you need which should drop the price right down. If you're in an ES, look up a parts diagram to get the exact one you want, it'll probably be the same as an Avalon.

I'm going to change it myself as the dealer wanted a grand for the part alone, there's a guide floating around somewhere for removing Lexus steering wheels. I may do a guide if I'm not swearing myself throughout the process. I'll no doubt post pictures of the apparently warped clock spring before I bin it
Old 01-07-20, 04:39 AM
norakat
Pit Crew

I am ordering it today as Amayama were closed for the holidays. That $700 price may be for the clock spring and the sensor, you don't need the sensor. I'm assuming it's just the clock spring mechanism you need which should drop the price right down. If you're in an ES, look up a parts diagram to get the exact one you want, it'll probably be the same as an Avalon.

I'm going to change it myself as the dealer wanted a grand for the part alone, there's a guide floating around somewhere for removing Lexus steering wheels. I may do a guide if I'm not swearing myself throughout the process. I'll no doubt post pictures of the apparently warped clock spring before I bin it
If you find the guide, please post link here.

How did you determine its the Clock Spring? Is it a creaking/clicking sound and feel?

I think you need tamper proof Torx bits .. Do you have those or know what size you need?

BTW - another person determined that it is a vinyl trim or something on his. That is almost certainly not the case with mine by the way it feels when it happens..
Old 01-08-20, 04:56 AM
Cwang
Instructor

Originally Posted by norakat
If you find the guide, please post link here.
Just google GS airbag removal, it's a CL post.

​​​​​How did you determine its the Clock Spring? Is it a creaking/clicking sound and feel?
Others described the same sound - a mouse squealing! It's quiet but annoying.

I think you need tamper proof Torx bits .. Do you have those or know what size you need?
Yes I have a full trade level toolkit. I don't know exactly what I'll need (the guide will say) but I'll have it. I'll be doing the bolt up with my torque wrench too

- another person determined that it is a vinyl trim or something on his. That is almost certainly not the case with mine by the way it feels when it happens..
Got a link? I'm 90% sure this will fix it, if not I'm not that worried as the parts are not expensive.
Old 06-21-20, 06:50 PM
SL10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings

Wandering if you had the problem solved.

Just bought a 2013 Es350 from lexus a week ago. so hopefully the dealer will deal with it.

getting a small squeak turning at low speeds.

heres a video that shows the sound. (sounds like a bird)

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 06-21-20, 10:21 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SL10
Greetings

Wandering if you had the problem solved.

Just bought a 2013 Es350 from lexus a week ago. so hopefully the dealer will deal with it.

getting a small squeak turning at low speeds.

heres a video that shows the sound. (sounds like a bird)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2LyAlUSEKk

Any help would be much appreciated.
I replied to your post on another thread. Appreciate if you can update this thread if you ever repair your problem.
Old 06-23-20, 08:33 AM
SL10
Driver School Candidate

To update, they diagnosed the spiral cable housing rubbing making that squeak.

However, they are saying the rubbing of the housing is not safety related. Any thoughts?

​​​​im working on getting this covered might be up hill.

Old 06-30-20, 01:35 PM
norakat
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SL10
To update, they diagnosed the spiral cable housing rubbing making that squeak.

However, they are saying the rubbing of the housing is not safety related. Any thoughts?

​​​​im working on getting this covered might be up hill.
I wouldn’t worry about safety wise but you just bought the car correct?

It should have no problems. They should pay.
Old 06-30-20, 02:22 PM
SL10
Driver School Candidate

I thought the same. My argument with them is if a regular 2013 have no squeaks then mine shouldn't either.

What can I do though... Thought a big dealer would do something but tough luck. If they don't do it as a courtesy, I doubt the law would be on my side.

They kept saying it's not the cost, if it was safety related, they would cover whatever it may be. Obviously bull cus if it's a 100 dollar fix, they would do it for sure. They fixed the sunroof seal and give a free alignment but this being 1200 definitely a big stopping point.

Problem is also the sales department has to ok it. Too many department.

Let's just hope airbag light.
Old 05-15-21, 04:58 PM
Cwang
Instructor

An update - a new clock spring fixed the squeaking noise. You don't have to buy it with the steering sensor, that's expensive, just buy it alone. Success!

Quick Reply: Clock spring making squeaking noise - question re parts