GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

At My Wit's End - Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-20, 08:40 AM
fugee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I brought this issue to dealership and they replaced shims. Still get daily brake squeals in the morning or whenever the car has been sitting for awhile.
I'm not sure what else the dealership would/can do. I'm debating if I should just take apply anti-brake squeal lube on my own.
Old 01-29-20, 09:05 AM
tangierc
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We took ours to a shop a while ago before changing out the rotors and pads. The lube only lasted about a week.
Old 01-29-20, 09:06 AM
tangierc
Driver

OEMs had the same problem.
Old 01-29-20, 09:13 AM
tangierc
Driver

So do I use some goo, do the bedding, or use the shims? I went to my mechanic and he said that the shims were used when he put the new rotors and pads on. I asked him about possibly going back to a two part rotor and he said that may work, but there's no guarantee of course. They'd also be significantly more expensive.
Old 01-29-20, 11:23 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

^^^^Two piece rotors are meant to keep the weight down. Should not have an effect on noise.

Lou
Old 01-29-20, 11:48 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Two piece rotors are meant to keep the weight down. Should not have an effect on noise.

Lou
Also, two piece rotors allow the rotor ring to expand under high-heat (racing) conditions while keeping the rotor's hat (hub) away from the high-heat, which protects the wheel bearings from excessive heat.
Old 01-29-20, 12:00 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Also, two piece rotors allow the rotor ring to expand under high-heat (racing) conditions while keeping the rotor's hat (hub) away from the high-heat, which protects the wheel bearings from excessive heat.
Yeah but for street use one piece is more than sufficient. I doubt you'll reap the benefits of the two piece unless you track the car. Is it really worth paying 3x+ more for two piece, for mostly an appearance thing? Also the tsb with the clicking noise with the two piece was to replace it with the one piece.
Old 01-29-20, 12:10 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Originally Posted by peasodos
Yeah but for street use one piece is more than sufficient. I doubt you'll reap the benefits of the two piece unless you track the car. Is it really worth paying 3x+ more for two piece, for mostly an appearance thing? Also the tsb with the clicking noise with the two piece was to replace it with the one piece.
Exactly! Which is another reason why the regular brakes are actually a better choice than the F-Sport brakes if you are not planning on tracking the car...
Old 02-12-20, 10:44 AM
tangierc
Driver

I am trying to find out what parts were used from my mechanic so I can get more feedback. Front brakes and rotors are about two months old. Can hear my wife coming home from blocks away. No success with bedding them either.
Old 02-12-20, 10:47 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tangierc
I am trying to find out what parts were used from my mechanic so I can get more feedback. Front brakes and rotors are about two months old. Can hear my wife coming home from blocks away. No success with bedding them either.
Yeah bedding won't help you here. It's the pad material and the rotor material that don't like each other, causing the noise.
Old 02-12-20, 10:49 AM
tangierc
Driver

Is there a way for me to check for myself the brand/model of parts if I don't hear back from the mechanic? Is that info usually on the rotors and brakes? I'll pull off the wheels on my own to find out if so.
Old 02-12-20, 10:55 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tangierc
Is there a way for me to check for myself the brand/model of parts if I don't hear back from the mechanic? Is that info usually on the rotors and brakes? I'll pull off the wheels on my own to find out if so.
The Lexus rotor has the hat/edge painted black, that pads there is know way to tell unless you pull them out. You would have to compare it to a pic of the genuine part.
Old 02-12-20, 11:01 AM
tangierc
Driver

I just found out that the first set were Textars, but those squealed on the new rotors so about a week later the mechanic changed them to Akebonos which are on now and still squeal to high heaven. He said they're OEM. Still trying to find out what the rotors are.
Old 02-12-20, 11:12 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

as you may already know, rotors may have warped, hence, causing the squealing. OEM Lexus rotors technically should hold up very well. If it hasnt already been stated, it's also worth checking to verify that no calipers nor guide pins are seized, and pads are wearing evenly. gl on the repairs
Old 02-12-20, 05:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

^^^^Rotors do not warp. They may develop high spots from pad material. If they did, it would not cause squealing, if would cause pulsating in the pedal feel.

Lou

Quick Reply: At My Wit's End - Brake Squeal