GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bullets Garage Door Panel LED Upgrade, DIY!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-21, 08:53 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,450 Posts
Default Bullets Garage Door Panel LED Upgrade, DIY!

Just when you thought you were running out of mods, you find another one:
It also dims when you put the car in drive, just like OEM.

Last edited by peasodos; 03-26-21 at 09:09 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by peasodos:
Bes1 (04-11-21), CAKETOWN (03-26-21), Glossary (09-05-21), lexus4jess (08-21-23), MX73 (03-27-21)
Old 03-26-21, 12:03 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Yup, doing this. Just going to do the same color as factory.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (04-04-21)
Old 03-26-21, 12:08 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Would be cool if you could adjust the colors from your phone or remote, but yea decent mod, i'd do cool white like factory setup.
Im2bz2p345 (04-04-21)
Old 03-26-21, 02:47 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
Would be cool if you could adjust the colors from your phone or remote, but yea decent mod, i'd do cool white like factory setup.
Yes that exists, but unless your wiring them all together and running a line to all the doors, you'd probably have 4 separate kits with 4 remotes, one for each door. There are smart phone app based ones too.

I plan on installing the blue ones. My friends BMW had the ability to change colors, but the blue looks the best.

CAKETOWN (03-26-21)
Old 03-26-21, 04:24 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 550 Likes on 338 Posts

I always forget about those. Any other color than the oem white would destroy resale value, it's not really an easily reversible mod an the blue is um.. interesting.
Old 03-26-21, 05:27 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BMGS
I always forget about those. Any other color than the oem white would destroy resale value, it's not really an easily reversible mod an the blue is um.. interesting.
I think the white with this setup is going to be too bright. You wouldn’t mod your car if you care about resale value. My instrument cluster has blue in normal model. My start button is blue. All the Lexus logos on the outside of my car has blue because it’s a hybrid. Honestly IMO it a huge improvement over the oem door light so I doubt it’s going to affect resale value. Yeah im driving this car to at least 232,505 miles
Old 03-26-21, 05:56 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Speaking of lighting, does anyone know what the interior light kit is, which is referenced on the page for illuminated door sills?

https://parts.belllexusnorthscottsda...T92230130.html
Old 03-26-21, 06:04 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Yes that exists, but unless your wiring them all together and running a line to all the doors, you'd probably have 4 separate kits with 4 remotes, one for each door. There are smart phone app based ones too.

I plan on installing the blue ones. My friends BMW had the ability to change colors, but the blue looks the best.
Yea always gonna be a compromise somewhere, even the blue looks good on camera, probably looks better in person. I'm just glad i know how to take off the door panel and the trim now, ordered the replacement aluminum inserts from megazip, was a good price and arrived in 2 days from Tokyo.
Old 03-26-21, 08:34 PM
Chungvatra
Pit Crew

Received 90 Likes on 27 Posts

This weekend I am going to put the RGB led on and also bypass the dimming.
ChicagoGSf (03-26-21)
Old 03-26-21, 09:06 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Chungvatra
This weekend I am going to put the RGB led on and also bypass the dimming.
Post picks afterwards
Old 03-26-21, 09:31 PM
IntrinoX
Instructor

Received 565 Likes on 331 Posts

I was gonna do this, but with a RGBW wireless kit that can be controlled via app or RF remote, but never came across it.
Old 03-26-21, 09:46 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by itsraysgs
I was gonna do this, but with a RGBW wireless kit that can be controlled via app or RF remote, but never came across it.
I think you can separate the diffuser from the led kit. So you could buy the kit and put the RGBW wireless led strip inside it.
Old 03-27-21, 01:35 AM
BMGS
Racer

I think the white with this setup is going to be too bright. You wouldn’t mod your car if you care about resale value. My instrument cluster has blue in normal model. My start button is blue. All the Lexus logos on the outside of my car has blue because it’s a hybrid. Honestly IMO it a huge improvement over the oem door light so I doubt it’s going to affect resale value. Yeah im driving this car to at least 232,505 miles
I was thinking more about the GS-F which has a lot more value at stake to lose from a mod like this. There are plenty of mods that can be done that are reversible or that wouldn't affect resale, in many cases the ones you have done can likely improve it. The blue bits in your car you mentioned are all fairly subtle compared to the lights in the video.

The issue with leds is that they are very bright so this would need a method of control. In my house, when I install led bulbs in my high hats I always go with a higher lumen but I add a dimmer to the circuit for that control. On a past car I had a bluetooth rgb demon eye setup where I could choose any color or brightness. While that adds complexity, I think that's a better approach than a bright, single color where the user has no control.

Last edited by BMGS; 03-27-21 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-27-21, 10:19 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BMGS
I was thinking more about the GS-F which has a lot more value at stake to lose from a mod like this. There are plenty of mods that can be done that are reversible or that wouldn't affect resale, in many cases the ones you have done can likely improve it. The blue bits in your car you mentioned are all fairly subtle compared to the lights in the video.

The issue with leds is that they are very bright so this would need a method of control. In my house, when I install led bulbs in my high hats I always go with a higher lumen but I add a dimmer to the circuit for that control. On a past car I had a bluetooth rgb demon eye setup where I could choose any color or brightness. While that adds complexity, I think that's a better approach than a bright, single color where the user has no control.
You could add different size resistors inline on the power wire, this will reduce the power and make the light dimmer. Test with multiple resistors and find out the perfect brightness for your setup. Some colors like white are going to be a lot brighter than others.

From the video the blue lights were bright but in drive looked like output was at least half and looked perfect. There is a reason cops use blue lights for viability at night, so there is a more practical aspect to this. The OEM led is very dim and doesn't help much in seeing things inside at night without having to turn the interior light on when the car is in drive.

Last edited by peasodos; 03-27-21 at 10:31 AM.
Old 03-27-21, 10:49 AM
BMGS
Racer

You could add different size resistors inline on the power wire, this will reduce the power and make the light dimmer. Test with multiple resistors and find out the perfect brightness for your setup. Some colors like white are going to be a lot brighter than others.

From the video the blue lights were bright but in drive looked like output was at least half and looked perfect. There is a reason cops use blue lights for viability at night, so there is a more practical aspect to this. The OEM led is very dim and doesn't help much in seeing things inside at night without having to turn the interior light on when the car is in drive.
Yeah that's a good idea. I honestly didnt even think of these lights as for nighttime visibility, I thought they were just a cool visual detail. I forgot they were even there until I saw this thread.
Im2bz2p345 (04-04-21)

Quick Reply: Bullets Garage Door Panel LED Upgrade, DIY!