GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

PSA - 2020 with 5,400 miles - Fuel pump went

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-23, 06:15 AM
EvilHardee
Driver

Received 70 Likes on 26 Posts
Default PSA - 2020 with 5,400 miles - Fuel pump went

I'm not sure if I'm the only one around here, but my 2020's fuel pump went and left me stranded on the road. I had to flat-bed her to Lexus of Nashville.

I had just completed a 250 mile Saturday morning drive and was down the street from my house when it sputtered to a stop. It started up a few times but could not hold idle and died, and then no longer lit up.

This was early June. It took them nearly six weeks to get the part. I was told at the time that there are none in the country, and that I'm number six in line for the part as well. They could not give me any timeframe whatsoever. I was bummed out needless to say. Looking the part number up now I see them all over the place. Not sure.. Part number 23220-38090 - PUMP ASSY, FUEL W.

I was told by several people there, 'yeah the V8 fuel pumps have been going.' To which I replied, 'So where was my recall?' To which they replied ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also asked them nicely and persistently to at least try and find a spot for my car inside somewhere / anywhere (since I had no idea if this was going to be weeks or months) but they were not able to accommodate me. I'm a little particular about the car I admit but that was also annoying to me...

It was covered under warranty and I got it back on Tuesday this week, so I'm glad it's over.

Safe at home

Last edited by EvilHardee; 07-21-23 at 06:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (07-26-23)
Old 07-21-23, 08:12 AM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting, what kind brand gas were you using? I was getting a high pitched noise from my non V8 GS 350 fuel pump. I heard a high pitched noise when using anything but Costco or Chevron. Not sure if related, but the noise is subtle enough you might think it is just part of the car.
Old 07-21-23, 08:14 AM
JAYGS4NYC
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you for the heads up. 6 weeks is BS & leaving your car outside is awful.

At least it's done.
Old 07-21-23, 08:37 AM
EvilHardee
Driver

Originally Posted by EdgarLex
Interesting, what kind brand gas were you using? I was getting a high pitched noise from my non V8 GS 350 fuel pump. I heard a high pitched noise when using anything but Costco or Chevron. Not sure if related, but the noise is subtle enough you might think it is just part of the car.
Since I have owned the car I have used Shell premium.. I always assumed they were good but maybe I need to do more research.

Originally Posted by JAYGS4NYC
Thank you for the heads up. 6 weeks is BS & leaving your car outside is awful.

At least it's done.
It was! I was contemplating ordering a car cover and going there and cleaning it and putting it on lol.
Old 07-21-23, 08:48 AM
EdgarLex
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilHardee
Since I have owned the car I have used Shell premium.. I always assumed they were good but maybe I need to do more research.

Yeah not sure if it is related, might just be fuel pumps that came out duds from the factory. I made a vid, wouldn't hurt to check for that high pitch sound?

EvilHardee (07-21-23)
Old 07-21-23, 11:24 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

That's unusual. I have two Lexus 2UR-GSEs, one with ~114k miles and the other with ~210k miles. Neither of them has had any issues with fuel pumps as long as you connect the fuel lines correctly. This is a little trickier on the IS F because it has a return line to the fuel tank that is not present on the GS F.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-21-23 at 11:31 AM.
EvilHardee (07-22-23)
Old 07-22-23, 05:16 AM
Doctj
Intermediate

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

This horrible but glad it’s resolved
EvilHardee (07-22-23)
Old 07-22-23, 10:31 AM
bigblack06

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts

I thought there was a TSIB going for this although it was the 2016 GS-F sounds like it still hasn't been resolved. Glad it was fixed as well.
Old 07-22-23, 10:59 AM
EvilHardee
Driver

Well... Not out of the wood yet it seems.

Today was the first time to drive it since I got it back, and it started up fine a couple of times, and I went out for roughly 100 miles and everything seemed perfectly normal.

Just in case, I didn't stop the motor while I was out, and after getting home I shut it down. Then about 10 minutes later, upon trying to start it, it lit and died immediately.

I then tried again and it started like normal. I repeated this and the next time I started it it died again and then was OK again....

So I had about half tank of gas left from the original tank I was on from before this happened, so I went and filled up at Speedway with 93.

Got home and tried this again, and again it died on first restart, and started fine again on the second try.

Not sure what to make of this. I am not sure if it's a good idea to repeat all of this tomorrow for fear of it dying while it's running again.

Thinking I need to make another appointment, but at least it's in the garage now. But if there are things I can try like disconnecting the battery and resetting to see if helps I would, but definitely nervous now.
Old 07-23-23, 04:32 AM
JAYGS4NYC
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilHardee
Well... Not out of the wood yet it seems.

Today was the first time to drive it since I got it back, and it started up fine a couple of times, and I went out for roughly 100 miles and everything seemed perfectly normal.

Just in case, I didn't stop the motor while I was out, and after getting home I shut it down. Then about 10 minutes later, upon trying to start it, it lit and died immediately.

I then tried again and it started like normal. I repeated this and the next time I started it it died again and then was OK again....

So I had about half tank of gas left from the original tank I was on from before this happened, so I went and filled up at Speedway with 93.

Got home and tried this again, and again it died on first restart, and started fine again on the second try.

Not sure what to make of this. I am not sure if it's a good idea to repeat all of this tomorrow for fear of it dying while it's running again.

Thinking I need to make another appointment, but at least it's in the garage now. But if there are things I can try like disconnecting the battery and resetting to see if helps I would, but definitely nervous now.
This sounds terrible. I wonder if the dealer has a tech that has seen this before. Please keep us posted and good luck.
EvilHardee (07-23-23)
Old 07-23-23, 09:29 PM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I have a 2016, and every time I fill up with 95RON ( 93MON US Rating ) gas, it acts up on start. So now I only fill up 98RON ( 95MON )
Old 07-24-23, 08:27 AM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd make an appointment. If it's regularly dying they'll be able to witness that and make the PROPER repairs. If I'm not mistaken we have 2 high pressure fuel pumps and 1 low. The 16' to 18' GSF's had a recall / tsb for high pressure pumps. I know you have a 20' but I'd bet you have a high pressure pump issue which is why it intermittently starts. The low pressure pump is enough to get the motor started, the high pressure pumps keep it running.

Last edited by JerryR13; 07-24-23 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-24-23, 05:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryR13
I'd make an appointment. If it's regularly dying they'll be able to witness that and make the PROPER repairs. If I'm not mistaken we have 2 high pressure fuel pumps and 1 low. The 16' to 18' GSF's had a recall / tsb for high pressure pumps. I know you have a 20' but I'd bet you have a high pressure pump issue which is why it intermittently starts. The low pressure pump is enough to get the motor started, the high pressure pumps keep it running.
That's not how it works. If you don't have HPFPs working, it won't even start. It just sputters and dies. I found that out when I got the fuel lines mixed up on the IS F. It sounds to me like there is a problem with the fuel getting from the tank to the HPFPs. There is no fuel pressure sensor for the low pressure system.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
EvilHardee (07-25-23), jgscott (07-27-23)
Old 07-24-23, 05:32 PM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's not how it works. If you don't have HPFPs working, it won't even start. It just sputters and dies. I found that out when I got the fuel lines mixed up on the IS F. It sounds to me like there is a problem with the fuel getting from the tank to the HPFPs. There is no fuel pressure sensor for the low pressure system.
Copy that. I stand corrected and based on that news it sounds like he certainly has a HPFP issue. His work order states a LPFP was replaced but he's still experiencing issues.
Old 07-25-23, 04:29 AM
EvilHardee
Driver

Heading in this morning.. I'll update when I can.

I appreciate everyone's input!

Quick Reply: PSA - 2020 with 5,400 miles - Fuel pump went