Is it normal a 4 yrs CPO GSF has execessive paints chips and scratches

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-23, 03:37 PM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Is it normal a 4 yrs CPO GSF has execessive paints chips and scratches

Hello everybody,

I am new to the club and need some help here. I almost purchased a 2019 CPO GSF (40,000 miles) today at dealerships in Texas. Unfortunately finally I have to terminated the deal as I noticed excessive paint chips and scratches on both hood, bumper and top frames. That's a lot and dramatically enough to draw your attention if you look close. I doubt there is hail damage on the vehicle but I might be wrong too. However, I do expect a CPO has much better quality especially considering the price would be over 60K USD. The manager says they don't have the budget to fix that and they thought the price was marked decent as well. Well price for this cars are unique and not comparable I guess.

So my question is - is it common that a vehicle with so many paint chips can be qualified as Lexus CPO? If it's not marked as CPO, I would probably not expect that high. I called Lexus to verify this, waiting their feedback too.

I probably made a mistake that put deposit before they finish the recondition of the car, and honestly I didn't notice a lot improvement after the so-called reconditioning, all noticeable paint chips are still there, maybe due to the fact they take it as sold already?

I see in the Lexus certified checklist they do have this item under exterior appearance - 7 Body damage/dents/dings. paint chips/scratches

Not sure how this one passed. I want to hear what you guys think about this case. Am I over sensitive about this, or it's totally the dealer messed up the deal without caring about the reconditioning.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-23, 04:39 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 370 Likes on 241 Posts

I’ve seen cars what have been in “minor” accident that are Lexus certified. I guess it depends on the dealer decision to pay for the Lexus Certification for the warranty and sell the car.
It’s very hard to find a clean GSF nowadays.
Old 11-10-23, 07:09 AM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NickL
I’ve seen cars what have been in “minor” accident that are Lexus certified. I guess it depends on the dealer decision to pay for the Lexus Certification for the warranty and sell the car.
It’s very hard to find a clean GSF nowadays.
Thank you for sharing this.
Honestly I am even ok with whatever happened in the past as long as it disclosed and from history it looks well maintained one owner. But I do feel they should fix it before selling as a CPO, just didn't feel too much efforts they made here that's what really breaks the deal for me. What they keep saying is the car is rare as an excuse of not delivering it with great condition. Anyway, the car seems just not mine
Old 11-10-23, 07:23 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

How many miles did it have? Most likely it's road rash, Texas highways will do that. My GS actually had and still has pretty bad road rash from when I bought it.

Old 11-10-23, 07:42 AM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for post your pictures. It's a little over 40K miles. I can understand the bumpers get hit pretty much. But hood and roof paint chips and scratches, I am not sure... some of those are pretty deep chips.
Old 11-10-23, 07:55 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by liazhang
Thank you for post your pictures. It's a little over 40K miles. I can understand the bumpers get hit pretty much. But hood and roof paint chips and scratches, I am not sure... some of those are pretty deep chips.
Yeah roof damage would be a different story for sure.
Old 11-10-23, 08:32 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,010 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I've seen plenty of this kind of chipping. Bumper cover, hood, fenders, mirrors, A-pillars, even roof leading edge. Lexus paint chips easily IMHO.
The following users liked this post:
greys0uled (11-10-23)
Old 11-10-23, 09:30 AM
greys0uled
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I've seen plenty of this kind of chipping. Bumper cover, hood, fenders, mirrors, A-pillars, even roof leading edge. Lexus paint chips easily IMHO.
^
OP, does the car check out otherwise? Carfax clean? You could negotiate touch up/respray into the price.
Old 11-10-23, 11:46 AM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
That's what I thought something they could easily fix. But they don't want to do that for me, no price negotiation and refused to refund the deposit. I thinking about leaving that to my company's legal service handle it now. I guess I was just dealing with a poor dealership, only $$ matters for them.

BTW,Lexus just called me and they will call the dealership, I will keep you posted if any update.
Old 11-10-23, 12:15 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 43 Posts

Yea, Lexus paint is so prone to chips. I got a 16 year old Honda that has less chips than my 2016 GS-F. They're both my daily and I drive the same road with both cars.
Old 11-10-23, 10:43 PM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Just an update - looks like I got my deposit refund, call with Lexus worked. Just a little pity they refuse to fix it.

Guess I'll have to shop for something else before I encounter another one.
Old 11-10-23, 11:09 PM
tehsu
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by liazhang
Just an update - looks like I got my deposit refund, call with Lexus worked. Just a little pity they refuse to fix it.

Guess I'll have to shop for something else before I encounter another one.
was this the one in Austin? At Lakeway?
Old 11-11-23, 10:50 AM
liazhang
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tehsu
was this the one in Austin? At Lakeway?
Yeah, you also interested in that one?
Old 11-11-23, 12:48 PM
tehsu
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about it, but not really looking for a black one. I've had enough black cars.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (11-11-23)
Old 11-11-23, 04:24 PM
greys0uled
Advanced

I'm in Dallas and took a look at this one a few weeks ago. It was in excellent shape for 100k miles, just had some small rock chips on the lower part of the front bumper.

Quick Reply: Is it normal a 4 yrs CPO GSF has execessive paints chips and scratches