GS F engine failure at 56k miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-24, 03:19 PM
omb1410
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default GS F engine failure at 56k miles

Hi everyone,

I'm in quite a pickle and unsure what to do anymore. My 2016 GS F engine seemingly just failed overnight. The car was driving fine up until Sunday last week when I started it up in the morning and I heard slight knocking noises coming from the engine. The noises went away pretty quickly after startup so I didn't think about it too much and went on with my day. It wasn't until later that evening on the way home that the noises abruptly came back mid-drive but this time a lot louder and noticeably more vibration throughout the car. The car then went into reduced power mode and luckily I was only a couple of blocks away so I managed to limp it back home. I had the GS towed to a dealer on Monday and the next day they found oil leaking and that I would be needing an engine replacement as they had found metal shavings in the oil. This came as a shock to me as I have owned this car for the past 5 years with no issues and I am on top of all regular maintenance. This is my daily so the car is driven everyday and it was operating normally until that Sunday. Now, the dealer informed me that the replacement cost would be $33k and advised me to reach out to Lexus corporate for any sort of assistance. I reached out and waited a week for them to tell me I'm SOL since my GS is out of warranty but they are offering a laughable $2500 out of good-will. I understand their stance on that but my GS's warranty just ended 2 years ago and my mileage is fairly low for its age. The one thing that frustrates me is neither the dealer nor corporate was able to tell me what caused the engine to fail. The dealer just visually inspected the engine and oil and never proceeded with a tear down. I brought up to corporate if any tear down was done and they quickly peddled back saying it is up to the dealer and me to have the engine tear down and it would be out of my pocket. Neither the dealer nor corporate has been helpful and it feels like I'm at a loss here. My GS F is fully stock and has never been tracked. I'm located in SoCal so any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-26-24, 10:33 AM
death
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about your engine failure. I would buy a used engine off e-bay or from a parts dismantler. There's one on e-bay for just under $9k with 12k miles... find a good indy shop which is willing to take on the swap.

You could also go the insurance route and claim a complete loss due to the cost of a new engine through a dealer.
The following 3 users liked this post by death:
designo (05-27-24), greys0uled (06-06-24), Moos0004 (05-27-24)
Old 05-27-24, 10:06 AM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Received 298 Likes on 108 Posts

I'd trust an independent shop that knows Lexus way more than the dealer for this type of thing. They can probably give you a much better idea of what happened and do a better job getting a new/used engine in for you. Sorry to hear what happened I'm curious to find out what the root cause of the failure is.
The following users liked this post:
V8COMRADERY (06-27-24)
Old 05-27-24, 04:08 PM
GSFhopeful
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts

I am so sorry to hear that this happened to you. I daily mine (it's my only car) and I have no idea what I would do in this situation.

Please keep us updated on the diagnosis/cause front as it will be a valuable source of information for other owners. Also, given the rarity of the situation (like the one off TVD failure), I do think this might be a one-off failure rather than a systemic failure.
Old 05-28-24, 05:28 AM
AdamKTexas
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear, I would try to push this further with Toyota corporate and post it everywhere you can.

Did you have any oil leaks previously?
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamKTexas:
greys0uled (06-06-24), signdetres (05-31-24)
Old 05-28-24, 01:37 PM
Nunz
Pit Crew

Received 136 Likes on 69 Posts

I am sorry to hear that man, please keep us updated on what the cause is. I daily drive my GSF too and like @GSFhopeful mentioned I really would not know what to do in that situation either. I do think it may be a one-off engine failure? The only other GSF I can think of that had a similar experience was the one that had engine failure at 86k miles mentioned here somewhat recently.
Old 05-28-24, 01:38 PM
Nunz
Pit Crew

@omb1410 Was your GSF ever modified or is it stock?
Old 05-28-24, 02:13 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

^^^^Did you not read the OP

Originally Posted by omb1410
Hi everyone,

I'm in quite a pickle and unsure what to do anymore. My 2016 GS F engine seemingly just failed overnight. The car was driving fine up until Sunday last week when I started it up in the morning and I heard slight knocking noises coming from the engine. The noises went away pretty quickly after startup so I didn't think about it too much and went on with my day. It wasn't until later that evening on the way home that the noises abruptly came back mid-drive but this time a lot louder and noticeably more vibration throughout the car. The car then went into reduced power mode and luckily I was only a couple of blocks away so I managed to limp it back home. I had the GS towed to a dealer on Monday and the next day they found oil leaking and that I would be needing an engine replacement as they had found metal shavings in the oil. This came as a shock to me as I have owned this car for the past 5 years with no issues and I am on top of all regular maintenance. This is my daily so the car is driven everyday and it was operating normally until that Sunday. Now, the dealer informed me that the replacement cost would be $33k and advised me to reach out to Lexus corporate for any sort of assistance. I reached out and waited a week for them to tell me I'm SOL since my GS is out of warranty but they are offering a laughable $2500 out of good-will. I understand their stance on that but my GS's warranty just ended 2 years ago and my mileage is fairly low for its age. The one thing that frustrates me is neither the dealer nor corporate was able to tell me what caused the engine to fail. The dealer just visually inspected the engine and oil and never proceeded with a tear down. I brought up to corporate if any tear down was done and they quickly peddled back saying it is up to the dealer and me to have the engine tear down and it would be out of my pocket. Neither the dealer nor corporate has been helpful and it feels like I'm at a loss here. My GS F is fully stock and has never been tracked. I'm located in SoCal so any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Nunz (05-29-24)
Old 05-28-24, 03:22 PM
Nunz
Pit Crew

@flowrider lol thanks I completely missed that one line saying that.
702GSF (06-04-24)
Old 05-29-24, 12:05 AM
omb1410
5th Gear

So I got a hold of the master tech who looked over my car and he showed me where the possible failure point is. He thinks the crank pulley has failed, causing the slight vibration and knocking noises since the noise is coming from there. The tech can't confirm if this is the actual root cause of the problem until he can pull the engine part. The dealer informed me that it would be $8000 for an engine teardown if I wanted to continue. I think it is so unusual for this part to fail especially for the mileage I have on it.
Old 05-29-24, 12:10 AM
omb1410
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AdamKTexas
Sorry to hear, I would try to push this further with Toyota corporate and post it everywhere you can.

Did you have any oil leaks previously?
No known leaks or issues besides one CEL from a loose gas cap but that was 3 years ago.
Old 05-29-24, 04:49 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

The crank pulley failing sounds like a "lottery winner"-level rarity event on an NA Toyota. As usual, find a good independent.
greys0uled (06-06-24)
Old 05-29-24, 12:32 PM
AdamKTexas
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by omb1410
No known leaks or issues besides one CEL from a loose gas cap but that was 3 years ago.
Wow, thats unreal. Lexus should really want to root cause this themselves and give you a new motor, considering this engine is still powering current in production cars. But, we do live in a world where consumers are given the shaft.

Have you decided what you're going to do? Any luck finding an ebay or salvage car motor?
greys0uled (06-06-24)
Old 05-29-24, 12:50 PM
LexLight
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Unfortunate to hear, also the Lexus response is horrendous $2500 for an F ? how far they have fallen. Also $8K for just an engine teardown is a joke, I bet they will ask more for again putting it back together and all.

As many suggested, Independent reputable mechanic is better way going forth if the swap / corporate pushback does not work. And also skill is needed to handle that 2UR-GSE nowadays. Stealerships just want to rip off consumers no matter which company it is esp the pricing will be all over the place and inflated beyond oblivion let alone their skill on handling such an engine. I recall that TVD in USA is over $27K while in JP its $10K.

TCCN, The Car Care Nut on YouTube is a knowledgeable and an independent mechanic but the issue is his shop TCCN Automotive is too far away... it's in Illinois. You can try to contact him over the phone and arrange something, if nothing works out near your state. But since its CA so I'm sure there would be a few honest good mechanic.

Last edited by LexLight; 05-29-24 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-29-24, 01:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,957 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
The crank pulley failing sounds like a "lottery winner"-level rarity event on an NA Toyota. As usual, find a good independent.
Not necessarily. They're bonded rubber devices and have been known to separate with age. That said, the IS F uses a similar piece, and none of the owners have posted about this issue. 2JZ engines are notorious for thrashing the harmonic damper in it's stock form. I just ordered a Titan ATI V2 damper for my Supra - and this is age, not mileage, causing me to replace the unit.

If this were my engine, I'd pull an oil sample and send it to a lab for analysis. If the damper failed, it's possible this is just rod bearing material from vibration. Analyzing the oil will give you a better picture of what metal is actually in the oil. Regardless, if the damper failed and caused this, you'd need to examine the rotating assembly down to the rod and main bearings, so a full tear down is needed. There are many possible failure modes resulting in what you've described, and it really sounds like Lexus doesn't want to repair the engine at all.

Quick Reply: GS F engine failure at 56k miles