GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

New BeatSonic CarPlay Install is a Game Changer

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-24, 12:55 AM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New BeatSonic CarPlay Install is a Game Changer

Definitely not the first (or the last) to make the switch over to the CarPlay install but figured I would share some feedback from BeatSonic’s most recent updated version for those on the fence. Truth be told, I have been a slow adopter to CarPlay but after the install this past weekend I am kicking myself I didn't do it earlier. That said, there have been some small additions that make it a blessing in disguise I waited until the latest and greatest updates.

As others have posted over the years, there are a few options when choosing a CarPlay unit. I went with BeatSonic because of all the positive reviews, lots of mentions of Eric’s amazing customer service, all the detailed instructions and YouTube videos, and the partnership with Lexus. It may not be the cheapest option but after living with it for a week, it is worth every penny. Complete game changer in my opinion and an upgrade that pays dividends literally every time I get into the vehicle.

The version I just bought/installed is the newest wireless version and one of the biggest advantages is that it starts up seamlessly when you enter and turn on the vehicle. No matter if you plug it in or not, by the time the Lexus disclosure screen clears it automatically goes straight to CarPlay. The Menu button can be used to toggle back and forth but that auto boot feature is awesome. Any passenger in the car would never know that the native Lexus infotainment even exists because it starts up that quickly. Plug it in wired, unplug it, switch back to Lexus infotainment and back to CarPlay again and it never skips a beat between music and screens. Completely seamless experience that feels like it’s 100% stock.

Because of all Eric’s install videos and very detailed instructions, installation is a breeze. A few tight spaces and things to be mindful of but overall not too difficult if you are careful and don’t rush. I jumped the gun on the initial setup process which created an issue with the wireless connection and he responded to my question within minutes to get me back to full functionality. Quickest customer service response time I think I have ever experienced from a company. Ultimately an install that may seem overwhelming to some but with patience and the right lights/tools/help its easily manageable.

If you know about CarPlay, then you know about the benefits and advantages. The one thing I will say is that the biggest negative all reviewers have about Lexus vehicles is the infotainment. Specifically the mouse/trackpad/**** that is used to control it. All the Lexus vehicles I have owned have had the Mouse and I felt it was far superior to the track pad and ****. I actually like the Mouse and don’t agree with all the haters but regardless, CarPlay may be best suited for the Mouse. (Touchscreen may seem to be better but with the GSFs depressed screen it would be a nightmare). So if you hate the Mouse because of the old school infotainment, you may love it if you switch to CarPlay.

It takes some getting accustomed to, sure, but it is an incredible “bang for the buck” modification. And having new age tech on that big @$$ screen is a thing of beauty. If anybody is on the fence you should do it, you won’t be disappointed. I suspect driving my GS350 without it is going to be a challenge. Here are some night pics of the CarPlay in the GSF:

The following 6 users liked this post by Fis4Forty:
1wacko (06-08-24), designo (07-01-24), EvilHardee (06-08-24), gsf2016 (07-16-24), truonghthe (06-08-24), vtecpwr (06-10-24) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-08-24, 08:46 PM
truonghthe
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Waze, my phone got so hot with google map lol. I had the unit for a year before I do the install, but yes I agreeing with you 100%
Old 06-08-24, 11:40 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Great review but I can't justify paying 700 plus for a unit I paid only 250 for and is almost exactly identical. But to each their own.
Old 06-09-24, 12:32 PM
FCarDriver
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This looks cool and something I might consider. Does it have any impact on the Lexus Enform App features (e.g. lock/unlock remote start, vehicle location, etc.)?
Old 06-10-24, 09:02 AM
jjman007
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It does look very good and I’ve been debating getting a CarPlay unit as well. Does the infotainment miuse work to highlight the different buttons or does it show a little mouse pointer in screen?
Old 07-01-24, 12:19 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by FCarDriver
This looks cool and something I might consider. Does it have any impact on the Lexus Enform App features (e.g. lock/unlock remote start, vehicle location, etc.)?
Not sure about that because I haven’t used any of the Enform stuff. I would assume it doesn’t affect it since all the Lexus native infotainment is still there and unchanged. It really does make a huge difference. Looking back I am wondering why I waited so long to do it.
Old 07-01-24, 12:20 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by NotnFsport
Great review but I can't justify paying 700 plus for a unit I paid only 250 for and is almost exactly identical. But to each their own.
Yup completely hear you. I have also seen a unit from outside the states that is down to around $300-350. But like you said, to each their own.
Old 07-01-24, 12:26 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jjman007
It does look very good and I’ve been debating getting a CarPlay unit as well. Does the infotainment miuse work to highlight the different buttons or does it show a little mouse pointer in screen?
The cursor isn’t a mouse pointer like on a computer but instead it is a circular dot cursor. You can see it circled below. It is completely free flowing allowing you to navigate anywhere around the entire screen whether there is a clickable button there or not.

The following users liked this post:
cyfi66 (07-01-24)
Old 07-03-24, 05:19 PM
jjman007
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Still debating whether to do it. I think I would’ve preferred if moving the mouse just highlighted the next clickable button but it might not be doable. Adding CarPlay to my Land Cruiser was definitely a game changer but it’s a touchscreen.
Old 07-05-24, 05:42 PM
ludecrashr
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with you, absolutely love mine. I’ve had it for about two years ago, I just recently took it to Eric to do the update. I love how it starts right up to CarPlay. I can actually hear my tun-by-turn navigation now since it really lowers the volume of the music to hear Siri talk to me, and it’s fully adjustable to your liking.
Old 07-06-24, 06:39 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jjman007
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Still debating whether to do it. I think I would’ve preferred if moving the mouse just highlighted the next clickable button but it might not be doable. Adding CarPlay to my Land Cruiser was definitely a game changer but it’s a touchscreen.
Yeah you are being pretty picky. Shocked you’re still on the fence after having CarPlay on one of your vehicles. I immediately bought my second unit after having the first for a few days of driving. Couldn’t go back. And IMO for our card touchscreen would be terrible. Like anything you will get accustomed to using it with the joystick. I love that it’s situated where you don’t have to move your body at all to navigate with your right hand. The GS had horrendous infotainment (per everyone although I always liked it) but with CarPlay it feels like it was made for it. With Siri and easy controls, I’ll take the trade off of the huge video screen over touchscreen. To each their own.
1wacko (07-06-24)
Old 07-16-24, 09:10 PM
gsf2016
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.beatsonicusa.com/lexusca...droidauto.html

This is the one you got?

Old 07-17-24, 03:13 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by gsf2016
Yessir that is the one
gsf2016 (08-13-24)
Old 08-13-24, 10:14 AM
gsf2016
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fis4Forty
Yessir that is the one
Thank you!

Can you connect directly to the factory USB to play audio at full quality while using CarPlay? I really dislike how in their installation video they have a separate USB sticking out of the dash.
Old 08-13-24, 11:15 AM
ludecrashr
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gsf2016
Thank you!

Can you connect directly to the factory USB to play audio at full quality while using CarPlay? I really dislike how in their installation video they have a separate USB sticking out of the dash.
No you cannot, but you don’t have to put that USB on the dash, I have mines hidden, and whenever I want to use it I just pull it out from the side.

Quick Reply: New BeatSonic CarPlay Install is a Game Changer