GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Synthetic Oil Booster?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-24 | 02:03 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Default Synthetic Oil Booster?

Hey everyone, I plan to begin doing oil changes myself instead of going to the dealership next time around. Was looking over an old invoice from the dealership to get part numbers for the filter and noticed “C500 synthetic oil booster” as a line item charge of $22. Couldn’t find anything on here about it but a lot of other vehicle forums (Subaru, Ford, etc) that mention this also being used. I think this is it: https://zakproducts.com/shop/oil/engine-oil-booster/

Curious for everyone changing their own oil if this is something you use or just dealerships being dealerships to wring out a few extra bucks? Haven’t heard of it so I assume likely not necessary when using good quality synthetic but you know what they say about assuming…
Old 07-26-24 | 04:38 AM
truonghthe
Rookie

Remind me of the 80s-90s when they sell the bottle "slick" as additive to engine oil to make last longer. I would say in today time engine oil itself is pretty good and not needed any additional add on as long as you use top tier full synthetic, I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum because I change it every 6 months regardless of mileage.

As far as dealer doing the work, I rarely go to the dealer anyway (unless for warranty work). The price is out of hand and lack of service writer that has knowledge and experience (dealer itself are great as I deal with them in the past). I have Lexus independent shop doing the oil change/ repair. They operate same way as Lexus dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Fis4Forty (07-26-24)
Old 07-26-24 | 06:44 AM
Bryan916
10th Gear

Originally Posted by truonghthe
Remind me of the 80s-90s when they sell the bottle "slick" as additive to engine oil to make last longer. I would say in today time engine oil itself is pretty good and not needed any additional add on as long as you use top tier full synthetic, I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum because I change it every 6 months regardless of mileage.

As far as dealer doing the work, I rarely go to the dealer anyway (unless for warranty work). The price is out of hand and lack of service writer that has knowledge and experience (dealer itself are great as I deal with them in the past). I have Lexus independent shop doing the oil change/ repair. They operate same way as Lexus dealer.
I'm sure there's tons of oil debate threads on here but i thought about changing the oil to either Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Amzoil Signature series. The car i just bought has been exclusively maintained by the dealership and looks like its only had synthetic blend. Hows Pennzoil working out for you? Have you put a lot of miles on your car while using it? I'm mostly wondering if Amzoil is actually worth the price ($130 shipped vs $70 for Pennzoil) or should i just use Pennzoil. I'll prob only drive 3-5k a year so only changing the oil once a year.
Fis4Forty (07-26-24)
Old 07-26-24 | 05:14 PM
truonghthe
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bryan916
I'm sure there's tons of oil debate threads on here but i thought about changing the oil to either Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Amzoil Signature series. The car i just bought has been exclusively maintained by the dealership and looks like its only had synthetic blend. Hows Pennzoil working out for you? Have you put a lot of miles on your car while using it? I'm mostly wondering if Amzoil is actually worth the price ($130 shipped vs $70 for Pennzoil) or should i just use Pennzoil. I'll prob only drive 3-5k a year so only changing the oil once a year.
In my personal experience Pennzoil work feels much better than Mobil 1 (one that I used the past 20 years), I would get Asmoil however because I don't drive the car that much and change oil base on time instead of mileage so Pennzoil for me. If I drive the car more often then I would get Asmoil.
The following 2 users liked this post by truonghthe:
Bryan916 (07-28-24), Fis4Forty (07-26-24)
Old 07-26-24 | 05:40 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

In my personal experience Pennzoil work feels much better than Mobil 1 (one that I used the past 20 years), I would get Asmoil however because I don't drive the car that much and change oil base on time instead of mileage so Pennzoil for me. If I drive the car more often then I would get Asmoil.
This is what I am going to do. Use PUP for the cost value trade off and ease of availability. Not my daily either so I am probably looking at about one oil change per year on about 3-4k miles.
Old 07-27-24 | 04:54 AM
truonghthe
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fis4Forty
This is what I am going to do. Use PUP for the cost value trade off and ease of availability. Not my daily either so I am probably looking at about one oil change per year on about 3-4k miles.
Yup, I have no problem spending extra but after looking the past 2 oil change and they are about 2500 miles apart. I live in the humid part of TX that why I do oil change every 6 months Synthetic or not.

designo (07-27-24)
Old 07-27-24 | 09:11 AM
designo
Pole Position

Yup, I have no problem spending extra but after looking the past 2 oil change and they are about 2500 miles apart. I live in the humid part of TX that why I do oil change every 6 months Synthetic or not.
Living here in the Middle East, I do the same thing.
However, no additives here. Just good old oil changes.
jgscott (07-28-24)
Old 07-28-24 | 02:48 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

These threads always make me LOL. No data, no UOA, nothing but gee, didn't that feel better? Gotta love the ability to share a completely baseless opinion to influence others around the globe with your "feel good" experience.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-uoa-here.html
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
designo (07-28-24), flowrider (07-28-24), jgscott (07-28-24)
Old 07-28-24 | 10:19 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Those oil additive have been proven to do more harm than good in a quality oil that already has a determined value tested benefit additive in the 1st place. I say Snake Oil.
lobuxracer (07-30-24)
Old 07-29-24 | 09:17 PM
cyfi66
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
These threads always make me LOL. No data, no UOA, nothing but gee, didn't that feel better? Gotta love the ability to share a completely baseless opinion to influence others around the globe with your "feel good" experience.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-uoa-here.html
I use Idemitsu oil and Royal Purple filters because it makes me feel better just being honest!

I'm sure my car would do just fine with Kirkland oil and a Supertech filter but I treat my oil changes like spa day, I get to spoil myself (and my car) even though there's no practical benefit.
Old 07-29-24 | 10:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Additives change the oil chemistry and possibly dilute it they do more harm than good. Exception is Lucas, the stuff is a super high viscosity oil which will increase the overall viscosity of your engine oil. Good or bad depending on what you're trying to achieve but if you want thicker oil then buy thicker oil.
Old 07-30-24 | 06:00 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Additives change the oil chemistry and possibly dilute it they do more harm than good. Exception is Lucas, the stuff is a super high viscosity oil which will increase the overall viscosity of your engine oil. Good or bad depending on what you're trying to achieve but if you want thicker oil then buy thicker oil.
Andy Granatelli would love this post. He sold STP back in the 60's when Richard Petty had STP on his car bigger than life. Richard was asked one time if he ran STP in his car. His reply, "Why sure I do, I have a can of it bolted right under my seat!"

There are NO oil additives capable of consistently improving any oil's performance, despite how poorly some oils perform. If the container shows the rating your owner's manual says it needs, you won't find a "better" oil or improve a substandard oil with any additive from any manufacturer.
Old 07-30-24 | 12:01 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

IOW - crap

Lou