GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Civic Type R to GSF

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-24 | 02:25 PM
pmims2763
2nd gear

Default Civic Type R to GSF

Hi, I am very interested in trading my FL5 type r for a GSF. I have found two in the area for a reasonable price. I have some specific questions about the car in general.

How comfortable is the car? I have a 6 month old and he does not like the bouncy ride type r. How is the build quality? The type r is a literal chatterbox, I cannot stand it.

The engine alone is worth the trade but I have never really seen a comparison of these two cars.

thanks!
Old 08-16-24 | 03:18 PM
NotFSport
Pit Crew

In general you'll have a higher level of fit/finish with a Lexus. You shouldn't have any creaks or rattles, and other than some cosmetic issues like the interior CF trim separating there aren't any issues with the interior. Hell, the bolts that hold down the alcantara dashboard cover are even engraved with the Lexus name, so they really focused on a high level of detail when making the car.

As far as comfort, I've never been in a CTR but i can't imagine that the GSF would be anything but significantly more comfortable. If anything it's a bit big and muddy, and many like to add underbody bracing as well as LCA bushing upgrades for better steering feel under braking. the 2016's have static suspension but the 2017 and onward models actually have adaptive suspension, so it should be comfy and smooth under cruising and then get meaner and louder once you put it in sport or sport+ modes and get on the throttle.

Last edited by NotFSport; 08-19-24 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-16-24 | 08:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

You haven't seen a direct comparison because nobody is seriously cross shopping these. The Type R is a track beast straight off the showroom floor. The GS F is track capable, but far from a track beast because it's still very civilized, quiet, and soft compared to a track option ride. My IS F is a lot like your Type R - solid bushing suspension, Ohlins DFVs, headers, tune, loud exhaust - it rattles and buzzes, but my 6 and 11 year old love it. I doubt they would hold that opinion if they were 2 and 6.

We got the GS F to replace a Scion tC when our second child was on the way. My wife didn't want to deal with two doors and two car seats, so the GS was big enough to deal with that pretty comfortably. The one thing I will say from a comfort perspective - the front seats are a love/hate thing. Either you love them or you hate them. I much prefer the seats in my IS F (and even my MkIV Supra) to the GS F seats. But from a rattle and buzz perspective, the GS F is dead quiet, and with the OEM exhaust, it's very quiet compared to the PPE GESI catted headers and JoeZ exhaust I have on my IS F.

Things to watch out for - the sunroof seal will make you believe something in the rear suspension is rattling when it isn't. I almost bought a set of DFVs for the wife's car because I thought it was a bad shock, but in fact it was the sunroof seal. I replaced it and all is quiet again.
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
entr0pic (09-03-24), jgscott (08-19-24), ScatmanATL (08-22-24)
Old 08-16-24 | 09:45 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
…The one thing I will say from a comfort perspective - the front seats are a love/hate thing. Either you love them or you hate them..
Hopefully you will get a chance to test drive one before you buy but I will add to Lobux’s comment above about the front seats. They are absolutely beautiful but more bucketed and if you have a muscular build (especially lower body) then they may take getting used to or you may be in the hate camp. I will also say my mother who is 70 years old and becoming frail said she feels the ride is much more comfortable and smoother in the back seat in my GSF than in my GS350. (In Eco mode of course!). As @NotFSport mentioned the 2017+ have AVS so if you have your son in the car often and/or are carting around multiple passengers, those years may be worth looking into. Overall comfort, build quality, and reliability second to none for that NA V8.
Old 08-17-24 | 01:44 AM
designo
Pole Position

You'll love the GSF. VTECH baby!
Old 08-17-24 | 08:59 AM
FCarDriver
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Fis4Forty
Hopefully you will get a chance to test drive one before you buy but I will add to Lobux’s comment above about the front seats. They are absolutely beautiful but more bucketed and if you have a muscular build (especially lower body) then they may take getting used to or you may be in the hate camp. I will also say my mother who is 70 years old and becoming frail said she feels the ride is much more comfortable and smoother in the back seat in my GSF than in my GS350. (In Eco mode of course!). As @NotFSport mentioned the 2017+ have AVS so if you have your son in the car often and/or are carting around multiple passengers, those years may be worth looking into. Overall comfort, build quality, and reliability second to none for that NA V8.
I second that. I think the GSF is more comfortable and roomier (my wife agrees) than my previous 2015 GS FSport. Wife and I don't mind the front seats and she likes the stock exhaust sound. While I'm somewhat intrigued with the new Acura Integra Type-S, I don't think I could go back to a FWD vehicle after now having 2 GS' ('01 GS430, '15 GS350, now '20 GSF). The GSF is simply a great car.
Old 08-18-24 | 06:51 AM
fearnight
Driver

I can't think of a single thing you will miss other than the manual transmission. If you are ready for that, I think you'll love it.
Old 08-18-24 | 10:18 AM
NickL
Racer

Originally Posted by FCarDriver
I second that. I think the GSF is more comfortable and roomier (my wife agrees) than my previous 2015 GS FSport.
Hmmm…I had a 2015 GS-F Sport that I passed to my dad and a 2020 GSF. They were both identical in terms of interior room and trunk space.
Old 08-18-24 | 12:13 PM
FCarDriver
7th Gear

Originally Posted by NickL
Hmmm…I had a 2015 GS-F Sport that I passed to my dad and a 2020 GSF. They were both identical in terms of interior room and trunk space.
Yes I don’t disagree, the dimension numbers are what they are. Probably was placebo for us. Suffice to say it’s got good room lol
Old 08-19-24 | 03:49 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

I have a 2016 GSF. Not much creaks or rattles inside the car. The sunroof sometimes rattles.

I have no experience with FK8 or FL5, never cross-shopped, but I've owned an AP2 at the same time as my GS-F. My feeling with the GS-F's ride is that it's very tight. It feels kind of like my stock AP2 except with the edges rounded out, it doesn't come crashing down on bad pavement or entire car unsettles on cracks and small potholes. Depending on the pavement quality, sometimes it bounces too on a section of bad pavement.

The GS-F is very roomy, seats are decently comfortable, but it doesn't ride like any of Lexus's other non-performance models: ES, IS, UX, NX (I've tried all of those from service loaners, they all have a softer/plusher ride than the GS-F). If you're after those ride qualities, then the GS-F will probably disappoint. It's quite a bit stiffer than those and doesn't ride like a regular "Lexus".
Old 08-19-24 | 04:18 PM
NickL
Racer

Originally Posted by kukudm
I have a 2016 GSF. Not much creaks or rattles inside the car. The sunroof sometimes rattles.

I have no experience with FK8 or FL5, never cross-shopped, but I've owned an AP2 at the same time as my GS-F. My feeling with the GS-F's ride is that it's very tight. It feels kind of like my stock AP2 except with the edges rounded out, it doesn't come crashing down on bad pavement or entire car unsettles on cracks and small potholes. Depending on the pavement quality, sometimes it bounces too on a section of bad pavement.

The GS-F is very roomy, seats are decently comfortable, but it doesn't ride like any of Lexus's other non-performance models: ES, IS, UX, NX (I've tried all of those from service loaners, they all have a softer/plusher ride than the GS-F). If you're after those ride qualities, then the GS-F will probably disappoint. It's quite a bit stiffer than those and doesn't ride like a regular "Lexus".
2016 has a static suspension and the vehicle was tuned for much sportier and stiffer ride than 2017 and beyond counterpart with adaptive suspension.
Even in sport+ mode, the ride on my 2020 was never as stiff as the 2016 I test drove many times.
Not saying that ‘17+ GSF is as soft as their other models but the 2016 is even more stiff.
Old 08-19-24 | 09:49 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pmims2763
Hi, I am very interested in trading my FL5 type r for a GSF. I have found two in the area for a reasonable price. I have some specific questions about the car in general.

How comfortable is the car? I have a 6 month old and he does not like the bouncy ride type r. How is the build quality? The type r is a literal chatterbox, I cannot stand it.

The engine alone is worth the trade but I have never really seen a comparison of these two cars.

thanks!
By the way, have you looked into replacing the AVS module with the one from DE5 Integra S? I’ve read that they are interchangeable, and will make the FL5 ride more compliant. Google it
Old 08-20-24 | 10:02 AM
daviso3
4th Gear

This is not a direct comparison, but I've driven the 24 Acura Integra Type S (friends car) quite a bit. Similar platform so hopefully this helps.

The build quality on the GS-F is better. The ITS that I drove has random rattles that are annoying for a new car. Sound insulation is better than on the ITS, although the ITS is pretty good.

The GSF is really comfortable compared to past cars I've driven. The suspension is stiff, but still comfortable to be daily driven. I have a 2016 GSF is a fixed suspension and rides harder like a sports car. I would look into the 17-20 with variable suspension if the ride quality is deal breaker.

Cabin room is slightly larger, but generally the same. The GSF has a larger trunk, but the ITS has the hatch so storage evens out.

Pros of the GSF:
-V8
-Handling/ride quality
-Lexus build quality/reliability
-Practicality
-RWD: not noticeable in daily driving unless you pus it

Cons of the GSF:
-fuel mileage is substantially worse
-Consumables are expensive compared to the FL5
-Outdated infotainment: You can install a beat sonic car play/Android Auto module

I would sum up the GSF as someone who wants the sportiness, but needs more space and comfort. It is the least amount of compromise compared to other options. The engine alone and Lexus build quality alone is worth the trade.

It's really the perfect car for me outside of it being automatic. But I would consider a ITS if manual is a deal breaker for you. It's still a really good car, and most likely the last manual that Acura will make before we go EV. Your other options will be the M3 or CTS-V Black wing, but those aren't as reliable and break the bank. .

Get the GSF if you are ok with automatic, or consider the ITS if you can't live without stick. I ended up getting a cheap Miata as a second car because I couldn't give up my GSF.

Last edited by daviso3; 08-20-24 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Counter (08-20-24)
Old 08-20-24 | 05:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by daviso3
...Get the GSF if you are ok with automatic faster shifts than any manual ever built...
I didn't own an automatic until I got my 2006 IS350, and it wasn't because I didn't want a manual. Since then, I bought my IS F and GS F. I'll never bother with another manual again, and I learned to drive a clutch when I was 6 years old on a Ford Model 8N.

The automatics never get tired and miss a shift. They never have a brainfart and grind the gears. They never suffer from my neurological issues that make competitive driving with three pedals a danger to myself and everyone else on track. I'm pretty done with the whole three pedal thing with the exception of my Supra.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 08-20-24 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-20-24 | 07:07 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

When I got my first license in Massachusetts back in (oh my) 1955, Back then, Massachusetts had two kinds of regular licenses: a shift license and an automatic license. I learned to shift in Drivers Ed in High School on a blue 1955 Ford Customline 4-door sedan. My dad had a 1952 Oldsmobile 4-door Super 88 with Hydramatic at the time so that I couldn't use that car for my test. I arranged with a friend to use his Dad's car, but the muffler blew on the day of the test. My Mother quickly arranged with the owner of our second-floor apartment to use his car, a 1948 Plymouth. He was old and didn't let me drive to the test. The first time I drove that car was for the test - and I passed. In the years after, I always owned sticks, the last being a 2006 GMC Sierra. My ISF was my first automatic.

Lou

Quick Reply: Civic Type R to GSF