GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

19x10 Used OEM Rear Wheel Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-24, 09:48 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 19x10 Used OEM Rear Wheel Cost?

I have been kicking around the idea of purchasing one rear wheel to keep as a “spare” in storage. Many threads on solutions for this and I am not sold on the need for a spare as attentive driving likely doesn’t lead to a “blow out” situation however, being able to sporadically make a road trip from AZ to LA with a spare is potentially appealing to me.

My question is, has anyone bought wheels (or a wheel) used from a parted out GSF at a junkyard? Found a few junkyard sites with GSF rear wheels but when I called, they were sold and couldn’t tell me any price information. Found one on eBay for around $700 (which seems like a great deal) but curious if the junkyard route is a much better cost effective option. Not an immediate need but if I could get a wheel for cheap then I would probably jump on it and throw one of my current tires on there around time to replace my set. Any feedback welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-30-24, 04:34 AM
truonghthe
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

wow I am surprise you can find GSF part at junk yard lol, majority of them got send to auction and sell as whole car for rebuilt (unless one mangled so bad). Now with the spare wheel part, are you gona buy just the rear wheel? what about the front tires got blow out?

I am all for "rather have it as insurance and hope not to use it" but since our car came with stagger set up.
Old 08-30-24, 08:05 AM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by truonghthe
wow I am surprise you can find GSF part at junk yard lol, majority of them got send to auction and sell as whole car for rebuilt (unless one mangled so bad). Now with the spare wheel part, are you gona buy just the rear wheel? what about the front tires got blow out?

I am all for "rather have it as insurance and hope not to use it" but since our car came with stagger set up.
You are right I did see more that were full cars being sold at auction. Got lucky with one place but unlucky also since they had already sold the wheel. This is the place: https://www.benzeenautoparts.com/

From everything I’ve read the rears will fit fine on the front. So if I only buy the rear then it can be a temporary spare for either a front or rear tire blowout.

Old 08-30-24, 01:27 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

RCF wheels also fit the GSF. Different styling but same specs. I recently replaced all the wheels on my LC (due to an unsalvageable wheel). I kept one of my old front wheels as a spare. It resides in my garage.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...heel&_osacat=0

Lou
Old 08-30-24, 08:57 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by flowrider
RCF wheels also fit the GSF. Different styling but same specs. I recently replaced all the wheels on my LC (due to an unsalvageable wheel). I kept one of my old front wheels as a spare. It resides in my garage.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...heel&_osacat=0

Lou
Thanks Lou, good to hear that and can expand the search with that intel.
Old 09-02-24, 12:43 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a spare tire kit from Modernspare.com. Takes up some room in the trunk but it's better than being stuck in the AZ desert. It comes with a jack and wrench.

https://modernspare.com/product/2015...e-kit-options/
Old 09-02-24, 09:15 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Kaiser
I got a spare tire kit from Modernspare.com. Takes up some room in the trunk but it's better than being stuck in the AZ desert. It comes with a jack and wrench.

https://modernspare.com/product/2015...e-kit-options/

Thanks that is interesting. Would definitely take up less space than an OEM wheel and says it is rated to highway speeds. Could not find anything specifying the mileage range but if it could handle 200-400 miles of use that could be a good option for my situation.
Old 09-05-24, 01:19 AM
VenomF
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a brand new 19x10 from the dealership. Testing waters on what a reasonable price would be. DM if interested.
Old 09-05-24, 06:02 AM
fearnight
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

That spare tire kit is pretty cool. Never seen that.

Problem with buying a rear wheel is you could never use it on the front. You are assuming your flat will be on the rear. So you may be better off buying an OEM front wheel that could be used on the rear in a pinch.

Or look into cheaper aftermarket wheels in the $200-400 range that could be used on front or rear temporarily.
Old 09-05-24, 08:13 AM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fearnight
That spare tire kit is pretty cool. Never seen that.

Problem with buying a rear wheel is you could never use it on the front. You are assuming your flat will be on the rear. So you may be better off buying an OEM front wheel that could be used on the rear in a pinch.

Or look into cheaper aftermarket wheels in the $200-400 range that could be used on front or rear temporarily.
The rear will fit the front. 19x10 with 275 width rubber. This is usually the size people upgrade to on the front when going aftermarket. My thought process is that one rear OEM spare would work on both a front or rear blowout and if I’m on a 200-400 mile road trip before being able to get a replacement, it would be better having an OEM wheel vs a small spare for driving distance and highway speeds. Maybe it is an incorrect assumption but I figured it would be better to have the right size/width tires in the back since RWD if I had to drive longer distances at speed. Better to have at least all 4 wheels/tires at least the minimum OEM size. But that’s just speculation, maybe I am wrong.
Old 09-06-24, 05:20 AM
fearnight
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fis4Forty
The rear will fit the front. 19x10 with 275 width rubber. This is usually the size people upgrade to on the front when going aftermarket. My thought process is that one rear OEM spare would work on both a front or rear blowout and if I’m on a 200-400 mile road trip before being able to get a replacement, it would be better having an OEM wheel vs a small spare for driving distance and highway speeds. Maybe it is an incorrect assumption but I figured it would be better to have the right size/width tires in the back since RWD if I had to drive longer distances at speed. Better to have at least all 4 wheels/tires at least the minimum OEM size. But that’s just speculation, maybe I am wrong.
It's not just about width, you also have to factor in the offset. I would suggest putting the car up on jack stands and swapping the front with rear to test. Make sure you can turn full lock without rubbing. (you may have already done this)

Visually looking at mine, I think it will work fine. The rears will just stick out a bit more, which is better to prevent rubbing anyway.

I agree, if this works, having an OEM wheel spare would be ideal. Let us know if it works because I may consider something similar. I don't like not having a spare available.

Last edited by fearnight; 09-06-24 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-06-24, 02:18 PM
Fis4Forty
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fearnight
It's not just about width, you also have to factor in the offset. I would suggest putting the car up on jack stands and swapping the front with rear to test. Make sure you can turn full lock without rubbing. (you may have already done this)

Visually looking at mine, I think it will work fine. The rears will just stick out a bit more, which is better to prevent rubbing anyway.

I agree, if this works, having an OEM wheel spare would be ideal. Let us know if it works because I may consider something similar. I don't like not having a spare available.
I haven’t tested it but you are right that would be a good idea before buying another wheel. There have been discussions about this around the forum and I got the idea from this thread here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...are-setup.html

Seems like at least one of the other members has tested this to confirm the back will fit on the front but the front will not fit on the back. Also there is the discussion around running a square setup which seems like it can be done with all rear OEMs and potential preference for using spacers if necessary. The idea of a square setup is interesting but the thread ended when someone was asking about pros/cons of running square.
The following users liked this post:
fearnight (09-06-24)
Old 09-06-24, 06:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,083 Likes on 2,475 Posts

Side note - I have a spare rear wheel, and it is cycling through the wheel repair shop right now because all three of them are curbed or worse. I was planning on doing the fronts, but realized without a front spare, the car would be sitting for a bit, and it's the grocery getter/school bus so that's not a good choice. I just put a set of DWS06s in OEM size on the OEM wheels and had a thought - I could put my OEM IS F rear wheels in the front of the GS F (they have 255/35/19 DWS06s on them) while the front wheels are getting their spa day at the wheel shop. OEM specs are here:

Anyone else thought of something like this? I could also put my 2014 IS rears on the front of the GS F with likely zero fitment problems (they're 19x9.5 +51) if I put the winter wheels on my IS F...

To finish out the thought on the previous thread:

Pros: tire rotation, better front grip for less understeer

Cons: maybe worse fuel mileage (very hard to be sure on that).