GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Lexus debuts 2016 GS F

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 03:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Lets just STATE THE FACTS - when it comes to Performance vehicles - Toyota/Lexus is lacking big time.
Italians, Germans, and Americans are bringing some CRAZY HP cars...........Japanese are nowhere close.

Hopefully Akio Toyoda had a fit of rage when he saw the new Ford GT and/or Corvette Z06 - hopefully he can convince the bean counters to make something cool.
After reading that interview with Yaguchi - doesn't seem anything groundbreaking is coming..........
Old 01-12-15, 03:51 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TF109B
If being faster and having more power is all that matters, then theyre all losing to the charger hellcat. The M5, E63, XFR etc. are SIGNIFICANTLY less powerfull than it. Does that make them unworthy of their badge? Funny that because it doesnt have 500hp+ it now shouldnt compete with those cars. Thankfully Lexus makes the decisions. The power is adequate. 550-600hp is for bragging imo.
Since when is Charger in same class with BMW, MB, AUDI, or Lexus.
The car overall is a built to a much cheaper standard.

If you want to just compare performance #s like 0-60 or 1/4 mile then fine, i am sure the M5 and especially E63amg and RS7 (both being AWD) would fare quite well.

You do realize a 550i does 0-60 in 4.3-4.5sec, GSF would be Lucky to even match those #s.
Old 01-12-15, 03:52 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Clearly the next generation of powertrains are not ready. Would you rather we wait two more years or so before they come out then release a 'proper' GS F? Or better yet utilize a current platform and latest V8 to good use.

Just speaking for myself personally, absolutely would rather wait, meanwhile they can put the 416 hp IS F engine to even better use in a GS500 and price it even lower, sufficient power most people will ever need, faster and with V8 smoothness over the 350, and even easier on the pocket
Old 01-12-15, 03:54 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i really don't think lexus considers what it's 'competing with' that much. they're extending the gs line-up to have a higher performance model which i expect they believe will add appeal and sales to the whole line.

if lexus REALLY wants to compete with an m5 it will have to drop the LFA v10 in the GS, and yeah it will cost $125-$150 but then we will all go WOW.
Clearly the next generation of powertrains are not ready. Would you rather we wait two more years or so before they come out then release a 'proper' GS F? Or better yet utilize a current platform and latest V8 to good use.

5LS on the horizon, refreshed LX, LC500, higher quality materials as of late.. Lexus is elevating as is Cadillac and Jaguar. Lexus had a current V10 supercar, where's BMW's? A 3-Cylinder I8?
Why not? We've waited this long already. With such high anticipation, why give us a lackluster effort and risk tarnishing the F brand? Debut with something that makes everyone take notice--not something that makes one go meh. Lexus has a great chance to propel the F brand. They chose not to seize the opportunity. Yes, They should use the current platform and latest V8...on the ISF ( just increase the size of engine bay).
Old 01-12-15, 04:06 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5LS on the horizon, refreshed LX, LC500, higher quality materials as of late.. Lexus is elevating as is Cadillac and Jaguar. Lexus had a current V10 supercar, where's BMW's? A 3-Cylinder I8?
I would rather this be a GS500 F-Sport, because that would mean a true GS-F would be something special and not just another car trying to play with the Germans
Old 01-12-15, 04:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by obturator
They share the same engine because one is a coupe and the other is a sedan in the same class. Unless the RC is in the same class as the GS and not the IS, your argument is flawed. If I'm wrong, please explain it to me.
People love classification. At the heart of the big German three are 3 sedans (3, 5, 7, A4, A6, A8, C, E, S) each that make up the core and everything follows after. Unfortunately the Lexus stable has the monkey wrench ES which because of it's price and size affects positioning of the IS, RC and GS. RC itself is a mash-up of 3IS, IS C and 4GS and Lexus said it is its own model, not an IS coupe or a GS coupe (no matter what label you, me or anyone wants to put on it). So it's hard to classify unless you're comparing trim calibers against Lexus's own models and/or the competition. Like the Durango, like the 2CTS, some Lexus models are straddling segments. GS is one of the smallest (if not The) as a 'midsize' when compared to 5, A6, E. Seven inches separate the IS and GS and five inches between RC and GS. Not much difference until you dig deeper in material quality.

Peoples biggest problem is simply the name, because guaranteed this will not be a bad car. If it was called GS500 F-Sport, they'd say well the CTS VSport, 550i and S6 are it's competitors now I can move on.

There will be many similarities in vehicles of the same segment, but it's never truly apples to apples when considering the little variables and/or nuisances that make each model unique to the badge it wears.

Was I disappointed that it didn't match the rumored 500hp? Sure, but as I said above, the alternative is that we wait two more years for a 'proper' GS F since the FI powertrains are not ready. Thankfully they utilized what they currently have and offered something to give depth and roots for the GS line. Beancounters wanted to kill the 4GS, three years later and the LF-Gh concept appears to be alive and kicking
Old 01-12-15, 04:30 PM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People love classification. At the heart of the big German three are 3 sedans (3, 5, 7, A4, A6, A8, C, E, S) each that make up the core and everything follows after. Unfortunately the Lexus stable has the monkey wrench ES which because of it's price and size affects positioning of the IS, RC and GS. RC itself is a mash-up of 3IS, IS C and 4GS and Lexus said it is its own model, not an IS coupe or a GS coupe (no matter what label you, me or anyone wants to put on it). So it's hard to classify unless you're comparing trim calibers against Lexus's own models and/or the competition. Like the Durango, like the 2CTS, some Lexus models are straddling segments. GS is one of the smallest (if not The) as a 'midsize' when compared to 5, A6, E. Seven inches separate the IS and GS and five inches between RC and GS. Not much difference until you dig deeper in material quality.

Peoples biggest problem is simply the name, because guaranteed this will not be a bad car. If it was called GS500 F-Sport, they'd say well the CTS VSport, 550i and S6 are it's competitors now I can move on.

There will be many similarities in vehicles of the same segment, but it's never truly apples to apples when considering the little variables and/or nuisances that make each model unique to the badge it wears.

Was I disappointed that it didn't match the rumored 500hp? Sure, but as I said above, the alternative is that we wait two more years for a 'proper' GS F since the FI powertrains are not ready. Thankfully they utilized what they currently have and offered something to give depth and roots for the GS line. Beancounters wanted to kill the 4GS, three years later and the LF-Gh concept appears to be alive and kicking
Having a GS-F is great only if it can really compete with the others, if the GS-F can't compete and can't really move the needle in sales or excitement, it will be a one and done offering.
Old 01-12-15, 04:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Just speaking for myself personally, absolutely would rather wait, meanwhile they can put the 416 hp IS F engine to even better use in a GS500 and price it even lower, sufficient power most people will ever need, faster and with V8 smoothness over the 350, and even easier on the pocket
same here, i love that idea. a great gs500 with that isf engine, price point would be even better, and just wait for a "proper" gsf. seriously i have no problem waiting, i have waited for like a decade
Old 01-12-15, 04:48 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

GS500 should equate to 500hp imo. I would still be happy with 467hp any day

Last edited by tmf2004; 01-12-15 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-12-15, 04:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
GS500 should equate to 500hp imo. I would still be happy with 467hp any day
?! gs400 has 300hp. ls430 has 300hp. ls460 has 380hp.

usually the numbers refer to the engine displacements, same for other brands
Old 01-12-15, 04:58 PM
obturator
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
same here, i love that idea. a great gs500 with that isf engine, price point would be even better, and just wait for a "proper" gsf. seriously i have no problem waiting, i have waited for like a decade
Same here. ISF engine at a lower price. This car would sell and sell a lot (relatively)
Old 01-12-15, 04:59 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The F brand is all over the place. It seems to me that Lexus still does not have a goal or vision for their F division. First they cancel the IS-F. Then they rush to release the GS-F that does not meet today's standards. They should have put this engine in the IS-F instead and continue to work on the GS-F.

And I don't see how their cheif engineer can compare the GS-F to RC-F? If you wanted to make a sedan with that V8 engine,then you should have kept the IS-F. Then you would have a comparable sedan and the coupe. Right now you have a good coupe and half baked sedan.
Old 01-12-15, 05:13 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Originally Posted by obturator
Why not? We've waited this long already. With such high anticipation, why give us a lackluster effort and risk tarnishing the F brand? Debut with something that makes everyone take notice--not something that makes one go meh. Lexus has a great chance to propel the F brand. They chose not to seize the opportunity. Yes, They should use the current platform and latest V8...on the ISF ( just increase the size of engine bay).
Originally Posted by xioix
I would rather this be a GS500 F-Sport, because that would mean a true GS-F would be something special and not just another car trying to play with the Germans
I respect your opinions gents. Personally its how you view what this car is GS500/ GS F/ GS ???. For me, I'm tired of waiting. GS350 and rare bird GS450h can't hold a candle to the array of FI, I4, V6, V8, diesel, hybrid powertrains in the competition. Adding the F and 200t in September will help tremendously. Once they're out continual improvements and additions to will give the GS (and other Lexus models) a stronger foothold in the segment.
Old 01-12-15, 05:21 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by xioix
Having a GS-F is great only if it can really compete with the others, if the GS-F can't compete and can't really move the needle in sales or excitement, it will be a one and done offering.
Sure, but to play devils advocate perhaps Lexus F is going the way of Audi S and Cadillac Vsport. A few months back this FS/F-S rumor dropped which would make it an RS / V competitor. Some food for thought

Also this isn't as much about sales (this caliber car), though adding the V8 to this helps with costs by putting it in both RC and GS.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The F brand is all over the place. It seems to me that Lexus still does not have a goal or vision for their F division. First they cancel the IS-F. Then they rush to release the GS-F that does not meet today's standards. They should have put this engine in the IS-F instead and continue to work on the GS-F.

And I don't see how their cheif engineer can compare the GS-F to RC-F? If you wanted to make a sedan with that V8 engine,then you should have kept the IS-F. Then you would have a comparable sedan and the coupe. Right now you have a good coupe and half baked sedan.
IS F is simply on hiatus. When the 4GS launched we pointed out the ample engine bay room, when the 3IS launched we pointed out the 'lack of' engine bay room. V8 IS days are over, with the exception of C-Class for now, M3, ATS-V, possible XE (insert hot version here) are to be had with six cylinders.

Well they are related
Old 01-12-15, 05:25 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

I respect your opinions gents. Personally its how you view what this car is GS500/ GS F/ GS ???. For me, I'm tired of waiting. GS350 and rare bird GS450h can't hold a candle to the array of FI, I4, V6, V8, diesel, hybrid powertrains in the competition. Adding the F and 200t in September will help tremendously. Once they're out continual improvements and additions to will give the GS (and other Lexus models) a stronger foothold in the segment.
I read that GSF is limited to 200 units, if that is true then Lexus is just
Do they just setup these cars for failure so they can say "Look Mr. Toyoda - we told you these cars don't sell, we need a small CUV."

Quick Reply: Lexus debuts 2016 GS F