GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Price Paid for a GS-F (Lease or Purchase)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-22, 04:33 AM
meangene4
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Finally purchased a GSF last night, paid 53,600 with 52k miles and one of the more cleaner ones I have looked at. Is it me or are most of these cars completely abused(pre-owned)? Picked up from a local dealer in Virginia, looks to be partially modded already with a tanabe exhaust, k&n intake and cusco strut bar? If you’re the previous owner then I would love to know what other mods are already on the car.

The following 2 users liked this post by meangene4:
EvilHardee (02-09-22), whiteboost (02-09-22)
Old 02-09-22, 06:47 AM
anbark22
Pit Crew

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by meangene4
Finally purchased a GSF last night, paid 53,600 with 52k miles and one of the more cleaner ones I have looked at. Is it me or are most of these cars completely abused(pre-owned)? Picked up from a local dealer in Virginia, looks to be partially modded already with a tanabe exhaust, k&n intake and cusco strut bar? If you’re the previous owner then I would love to know what other mods are already on the car.
Congratulations! Looks great! Please let me know how that exhaust sounds. I had a Tanabe axle-back on my GS 350 and was impressed with the fit, quality and sound. Any drone?
Thanks again and enjoy.
Old 02-23-22, 08:02 PM
m335
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Prices are ridiculous right now. It almost make more sense and also easier to find brand new IS500 for msrp 63k than waiting for good history GSF with low miles to show up for dame price..also you get faster , lighter and brand new car reliability and options too😊
Old 02-23-22, 08:12 PM
NinjaNap
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by m335
Prices are ridiculous right now. It almost make more sense and also easier to find brand new IS500 for msrp 63k than waiting for good history GSF with low miles to show up for dame price..also you get faster , lighter and brand new car reliability and options too😊
I could be wrong, but I remember reading that the performance of the IS500 was identical to the GSF despite it being much lighter. I recall reading that the GSF had a better transmission too. I was actually less impressed with the IS500 and giving the nod to the GSF because it’s actually a true F car.
The following 2 users liked this post by NinjaNap:
JerryR13 (02-23-22), lobuxracer (02-24-22)
Old 02-23-22, 08:26 PM
m335
Rookie

Originally Posted by NinjaNap
I could be wrong, but I remember reading that the performance of the IS500 was identical to the GSF despite it being much lighter. I recall reading that the GSF had a better transmission too. I was actually less impressed with the IS500 and giving the nod to the GSF because it’s actually a true F car.
just sharing my knowledge since I researched all lexus v8 cars for last 6 months.. I am an engineer and I get obsessed with cars. From my understanding IS500 has same engine+trans with same software tuning as F cars. In C&D testing last month it was 1 second faster than GSF with crap tires. If they put 4S tires it will be 3 seconds faster easily. Also you can avoid TVD in this configuration which in my view is going to be unreliable for continuous track and heavy use. I think tvd will wear out faster than other components and when it does options to replace it are very few. Used market for parts of pretty bad for GSF due to such a low volume of cars on road and lexus is only using tvd in rcf which might discontinue in near future after than it will be very difficult and expensive to get this part and pretty much will total high mileage cars.
Old 02-23-22, 08:44 PM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 53 Posts

just sharing my knowledge since I researched all lexus v8 cars for last 6 months.. I am an engineer and I get obsessed with cars. From my understanding IS500 has same engine+trans with same software tuning as F cars. In C&D testing last month it was 1 second faster than GSF with crap tires. If they put 4S tires it will be 3 seconds faster easily. Also you can avoid TVD in this configuration which in my view is going to be unreliable for continuous track and heavy use. I think tvd will wear out faster than other components and when it does options to replace it are very few. Used market for parts of pretty bad for GSF due to such a low volume of cars on road and lexus is only using tvd in rcf which might discontinue in near future after than it will be very difficult and expensive to get this part and pretty much will total high mileage cars.
TVD's have shown to hold up really well. Only the future will decide that. GSF's also have a trans cooler and oiler cooler. The IS500 is in desperate need of both if any heavy use is planned. And yeah, when you throw ps4s's on and add the coolers and improve the suspension.....etc.. you see the point. Having to modify one to equal the other in stock form. Both excellent cars.
Old 02-23-22, 08:52 PM
m335
Rookie

Originally Posted by JerryR13
TVD's have shown to hold up really well. Only the future will decide that. GSF's also have a trans cooler and oiler cooler. The IS500 is in desperate need of both if any heavy use is planned. And yeah, when you throw ps4s's on and add the coolers and improve the suspension.....etc.. you see the point. Having to modify one to equal the other in stock form. Both excellent cars.
right tvd has failed in past and its only matter of time those clutches will wear out. They are not made of vibranium so they will wear out soon. RR racing already told on forum they are working on oil and trans cooler for IS500 also I bet you can pretty much fit their ISF coolers with small modifications. It will take 2k with labor for that work then add $500 for sports brake pads and then this car can handle any track days you can throw at it. I dont care about suspension it is already good enough..GSF is also soft everyone knows that so its not that big of a difference in my opinion. If someone wants reliable track car then you can get new IS500 62k + 3k for cooler / pads and you are good to go in my view.
Old 02-24-22, 06:32 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 303 Likes on 209 Posts

Not really. The IS500 is nice, but it doesn't have:

The V8 F Transmission (IS500 comes with the same trans as the F Sport)
The F brakes
The F suspension
The TVD - some argue this is a bonus, I don't think it is. Maybe you can add an LSD to the IS500 so it will perform better. It's not like you can't rebuild a TVD with new clutches if it does eventually wear out.
Oil Cooler
Trans Cooler
It's also a tiny car and the interior room sucks if you actually need back seats.
The seats aren't as nice either.

It's a nice car, but it's not an F. The GS-F is also 160lbs heavier, but some of that is in the beefier trans, braking system, coolers, and TVD, which are components that will also add weight to the IS 500. Once you beef up the IS components, I bet the weight will be similar.

Steve
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (02-24-22)
Old 02-24-22, 07:53 AM
TrevorR
Intermediate

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 1A1

The F brakes
The F suspension
The TVD - some argue this is a bonus, I don't think it is. Maybe you can add an LSD to the IS500 so it will perform better. It's not like you can't rebuild a TVD with new clutches if it does eventually wear out.
Oil Cooler
Trans Cooler
It's also a tiny car and the interior room sucks if you actually need back seats.

It's a nice car, but it's not an F. The GS-F is also 160lbs heavier, but some of that is in the beefier trans, braking system, coolers, and TVD, which are components that will also add weight to the IS 500. Once you beef up the IS components, I bet the weight will be similar.

Steve
Despite all that, the IS500 had a better lightning lap by caranddriver than the GSF by about 1 second and was only 2 seconds behind the RCF track edition. It's impressive for what it is. Although they mentioned they overheated the transmission.
Old 02-24-22, 10:23 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

To add they installed an auxiliary dealer installed trans cooler. Still the tranny was heating up i dont think this happped in any of the F cars.
but yes its an amzing car none the less. I think gsf is a heavier car?
Originally Posted by TrevorR
Despite all that, the IS500 had a better lightning lap by caranddriver than the GSF by about 1 second and was only 2 seconds behind the RCF track edition. It's impressive for what it is. Although they mentioned they overheated the transmission.
Old 02-24-22, 11:23 AM
m335
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1A1

The F brakes
The F suspension
Oil Cooler
Trans Cooler

Steve
just to correct transmission + engine + software + exaust is exactly same as latest (2020+) F car this is not fronfsport.
IS500 has 2 piece rotors that are 1 inch smaller than single piece GSF also this car is 140lbs lighter so these brakes have same thermal capacity as GSF. Not c&d and motoweek tracked this car for 3+ days continuously and they said brakes are not an issue and I agree given 2 piece design.
IS500 already has torsen LSD not sure why you think there is no LSD. I don't think anyone will miss TVD
RR racing working on both oil and trans cooler. There are already plug and play points since everything in engine is same as RCF. It will cost $2000 for both coolers with labor.
car size is personal preference. I find IS500 perfect size. It is good enough for 2 kids in back and doesn't look like grandpa big car on track when you want to enjoy it there.
seats are with good bolstering and these are Sentac so no wrinkle and will last longer than leather seats.
why do you think GSF and IS500 weight is similar? These cars are based on same chassis N platform unlike RCF that is mix of 3 cars. IS500 has all aluminium suspension and front subframe like GSF. Same engine+trans and its smaller car in dimension so it will be lighter than GSF always.
Old 02-24-22, 11:25 AM
m335
Rookie

Originally Posted by UZ214
To add they installed an auxiliary dealer installed trans cooler. Still the tranny was heating up i dont think this happped in any of the F cars.
but yes its an amzing car none the less. I think gsf is a heavier car?
Right. I did some more research. Trans cooler core they install on IS500 is so tiny it's half capacity if RCF core. You just need to put bigger and denser core and it will last all day on track.
Old 02-24-22, 02:28 PM
Mazderati
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hard to tell if you are trying to convince the GS F forum or yourself.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mazderati:
NickL (02-24-22), WickedBoi (02-24-22), Wisor (02-24-22)
Old 02-24-22, 02:43 PM
Wisor
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in this exact dilemma 2 months ago, Is500 vs GSF. And pulled the trigger on GSF. Infact i even had a deposit down from a dealer to sell the IS500 premium at MSRP. Here is why I pulled the trigger on the GSF:

I sat in a 2022 IS350 which from the inside is same as a IS500. And it did not feel one bit like a 60k car, it was the most basic iteration of a lexus product. And coming from a mustang it felt more cramped than a couple. And im not a big fella. On the other hand once i sat in my current used GSF then in a dealer parking lot. Boy that car made me feel special. Those red F seats, that alcantara and the F vent, and those amazing multispoke GSF wheels, it was at that moment i knew what car was for me.

Signed the paper for GSF and cancelled my deposit for the IS500.

And now there is just me a happy chunk of meat in car that makes me look twice after I have parked it. Not to say IS500 is not a pretty car it def is. But GSF just has something abt it.

Clearly im not being objective here, this just a very subjective opinion/experience of a person who went thru that dilemma of IS500 vs GSF

Old 02-24-22, 02:44 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 370 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazderati
Hard to tell if you are trying to convince the GS F forum or yourself.
LMAO. I was wondering why I’m reading all this on a GSF price thread.
The following users liked this post:
Wisor (02-24-22)

Quick Reply: Price Paid for a GS-F (Lease or Purchase)