GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Price Paid for a GS-F (Lease or Purchase)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-22, 09:57 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,076 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Comedy. I own an IS F and a GS F. The IS500 is for someone who doesn't want more than 3 laps at a track event. F cars do the whole 20 minute session without any compliant and without puking ATF despite having the "dealer installed" ATF cooler. AMHIK.

If you're concerned about Lightning Lap times, you need to be looking at the SUVs. Some ran faster at VIR than the whole lot of Lexus performance cars. Check the times. You'll be surprised. 2019 Porsche Cayenne Turbo cut a 2:59.2 lap. Only the LFA lapped faster.
Old 03-03-22, 10:54 AM
nomoreeuro
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by m335
just to correct transmission + engine + software + exaust is exactly same as latest (2020+) F car this is not fronfsport.
IS500 has 2 piece rotors that are 1 inch smaller than single piece GSF also this car is 140lbs lighter so these brakes have same thermal capacity as GSF.Not c&d and motoweek tracked this car for 3+ days continuously and they said brakes are not an issue and I agree given 2 piece design.
IS500 already has torsen LSD not sure why you think there is no LSD. I don't think anyone will miss TVD
RR racing working on both oil and trans cooler. There are already plug and play points since everything in engine is same as RCF. It will cost $2000 for both coolers with labor.
car size is personal preference. I find IS500 perfect size. It is good enough for 2 kids in back and doesn't look like grandpa big car on track when you want to enjoy it there.
seats are with good bolstering and these are Sentac so no wrinkle and will last longer than leather seats.
why do you think GSF and IS500 weight is similar? These cars are based on same chassis N platform unlike RCF that is mix of 3 cars. IS500 has all aluminium suspension and front subframe like GSF. Same engine+trans and its smaller car in dimension so it will be lighter than GSF always.
Hi m335, how did you make the calculation that 1 inch smaller rotor with 140lb less pounds would have the same thermal capacity? I'd like to know the formula for future comparisons. Thanks!
Old 03-03-22, 11:32 AM
JerryR13
Pit Crew

Received 125 Likes on 53 Posts

just to correct transmission + engine + software + exaust is exactly same as latest (2020+) F car this is not fronfsport.
IS500 has 2 piece rotors that are 1 inch smaller than single piece GSF also this car is 140lbs lighter so these brakes have same thermal capacity as GSF. Not c&d and motoweek tracked this car for 3+ days continuously and they said brakes are not an issue and I agree given 2 piece design.
IS500 already has torsen LSD not sure why you think there is no LSD. I don't think anyone will miss TVD
RR racing working on both oil and trans cooler. There are already plug and play points since everything in engine is same as RCF. It will cost $2000 for both coolers with labor.
car size is personal preference. I find IS500 perfect size. It is good enough for 2 kids in back and doesn't look like grandpa big car on track when you want to enjoy it there.
seats are with good bolstering and these are Sentac so no wrinkle and will last longer than leather seats.
why do you think GSF and IS500 weight is similar? These cars are based on same chassis N platform unlike RCF that is mix of 3 cars. IS500 has all aluminium suspension and front subframe like GSF. Same engine+trans and its smaller car in dimension so it will be lighter than GSF always.
These cars are NOT built on the same chassis / platform. That's just not true.
Old 03-03-22, 03:29 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I am an engineer and I get obsessed with cars. From my understanding IS500 has same engine+trans with same software tuning as F cars. In C&D testing last month it was 1 second faster than GSF with crap tires. If they put 4S tires it will be 3 seconds faster easily. .
I always review all the times from the C&D Lightning Lap as well, but you have to remember that drivers change, weather conditions are different, and VIR has been repaved over the years.--All variables that can change lap times a bit.
Old 05-31-22, 11:10 AM
CZ75
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm probably going to list mine up for sale this week. Are people still getting what they're asking for them? Mines a '17 white on black w/31k miles.
Old 07-16-22, 06:29 PM
GSFhopeful
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 16 Posts

I recently picked up a very clean, totally stock 2016 Molten Pearl GSF with 12k miles for just a bit less than 60k. I imported it from Canada and that 60k includes the 2.5% import tariff for a fair comparison. Other colors and cars were cheaper, but it was exactly what I wanted and the mileage was low (and I believe the car belonged to a forum member here and was owned by Lexus Canada before). I also love the extra options of the power trunk, privacy shades in the rear, and heated steering wheel.
The following 2 users liked this post by GSFhopeful:
LScott400 (07-25-22), YasserGSF (07-31-22)
Old 07-18-22, 06:15 AM
neff2641
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSFhopeful
I recently picked up a very clean, totally stock 2016 Molten Pearl GSF with 12k miles for just a bit less than 60k. I imported it from Canada and that 60k includes the 2.5% import tariff for a fair comparison. Other colors and cars were cheaper, but it was exactly what I wanted and the mileage was low (and I believe the car belonged to a forum member here and was owned by Lexus Canada before). I also love the extra options of the power trunk, privacy shades in the rear, and heated steering wheel.
That's a great price for such a low mileage, well-specced example! Congrats and enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
adr7090 (07-25-22)
Old 09-11-22, 12:59 PM
David717
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom44
2016 was the best year IMO.

congrats.

what makes you say 2016 is the best year? I’m about to close a deal on a 2016 GSF with 35k miles for $55k, think it’s a decent deal for today’s market. Slightly nervous that it’ll be sight unseen, thinking about sending a third party mechanic to check it out.
Old 09-11-22, 01:29 PM
Moos0004
Driver

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a 16 and my cousin had a 17. His felt a little softer but not by much. I have no regrets getting a 16 over a newer model. I don't this the avs does much as I have taken long trip in both cars and could not tell the difference and Avs does not soften the ride that much.
Old 09-11-22, 01:34 PM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by David717
what makes you say 2016 is the best year? I’m about to close a deal on a 2016 GSF with 35k miles for $55k, think it’s a decent deal for today’s market. Slightly nervous that it’ll be sight unseen, thinking about sending a third party mechanic to check it out.
fixed rate dampeners >> adjustable a IMO.

I drove a 2019 new, that was for sale near me, thinking I’d potentially trade mine in for a car with fewer miles. Really didn’t like the feel of the car with the adjustables. My car felt better, had a bit more edge to it, less soft and “lexus like”. But if you do value comfort over a sportier suspension, I can see the appeal of the later model.

This is subjective obv, but if given the choice I think the 2016 is the way to go.

if service hx looks good you should be ok. I’d pay attention to how many times brakes and tires were replaced as a sign of whether the car saw some track duty. If you have info on prior owner you may want to try and get in touch or purchase an extended warranty.
Old 09-11-22, 10:34 PM
David717
Driver

Originally Posted by Moos0004
I have a 16 and my cousin had a 17. His felt a little softer but not by much. I have no regrets getting a 16 over a newer model. I don't this the avs does much as I have taken long trip in both cars and could not tell the difference and Avs does not soften the ride that much.
Interesting didn’t know the later model years had softer rides. I test drove a 2016 and the ride felt perfect to me, not too soft and not so stiff where I couldn’t daily it
Old 09-11-22, 10:37 PM
David717
Driver

fixed rate dampeners >> adjustable a IMO.

I drove a 2019 new, that was for sale near me, thinking I’d potentially trade mine in for a car with fewer miles. Really didn’t like the feel of the car with the adjustables. My car felt better, had a bit more edge to it, less soft and “lexus like”. But if you do value comfort over a sportier suspension, I can see the appeal of the later model.

This is subjective obv, but if given the choice I think the 2016 is the way to go.

if service hx looks good you should be ok. I’d pay attention to how many times brakes and tires were replaced as a sign of whether the car saw some track duty. If you have info on prior owner you may want to try and get in touch or purchase an extended warranty.
Aside from the carfax about change of ownership, I don’t think this GSF has any service history that I can reference. The first owner is listed as “corporate fleet vehicle” which makes me think some Lexus executive was driving it around. Most people have said an extended warranty isn’t necessary on these, but I’m going to get a quote for one anyway. Think I definitely need to get a third party inspection though.
Old 09-12-22, 07:20 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

Aside from the carfax about change of ownership, I don’t think this GSF has any service history that I can reference. The first owner is listed as “corporate fleet vehicle” which makes me think some Lexus executive was driving it around. Most people have said an extended warranty isn’t necessary on these, but I’m going to get a quote for one anyway. Think I definitely need to get a third party inspection though.
someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but corporate fleet vehicle could mean it was used at Lexus performance school. Those cars generally had much fewer miles, and most were sold off a few years ago when I remember seeing a bunch of GSFs for sale

You can check this history on Lexus drivers, and the selling dealer should be able to tell you if it was used as a driving school car. How many owners has it had?
Old 09-12-22, 07:28 AM
David717
Driver

someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but corporate fleet vehicle could mean it was used at Lexus performance school. Those cars generally had much fewer miles, and most were sold off a few years ago when I remember seeing a bunch of GSFs for sale

You can check this history on Lexus drivers, and the selling dealer should be able to tell you if it was used as a driving school car. How many owners has it had?

I checked the VIN on Lexus Drivers and it doesn’t give much information. Just shows it had its 5k mile service and fixed a tire patch. It’s got 2 owners according to Carfax. Is there a Lexus Performance school up near SF Bay Area? That’s where it was located with the first corporate owner.
Old 09-12-22, 08:04 AM
Tom44
Pit Crew

I checked the VIN on Lexus Drivers and it doesn’t give much information. Just shows it had its 5k mile service and fixed a tire patch. It’s got 2 owners according to Carfax. Is there a Lexus Performance school up near SF Bay Area? That’s where it was located with the first corporate owner.
Again, someone correct me if I’m wrong, but Perf Driving school cars were registered in Midwest (ohio?) and California. But seeing new brakes/tires, fluids on service hx early on is a big clue to if the car was a Lexus perf school car or if it saw any track time.

maybe lexus corporate can give you the info if you give them the vin or the original selling dealer might have that info. I remember explicitly asking if one of the GSFs I was looking into buying was a performance school car and the selling dealer verified that it was.

not trying to dissuade you from buying the car, but if it was a perf school car you might be able to get them to throw on an extended warranty for extra peace of mind (if this is being bought from Toyota/Lexus). And this could very well not have been a perf school car, and still registered as a Lexus corporate car. It happened with a bunch of GSFs.

Last edited by Tom44; 09-12-22 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Price Paid for a GS-F (Lease or Purchase)