GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Jeremy reviewed GSF

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-17, 06:02 PM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Even in expert mode, I like my ISF with the Giken LSD better than the GSF. Not that it is bad, but it just isn't as good. IME, the rear of the GSF doesn't feel as planted as the ISF.

What's the big difference in Expert Mode?
What changes are there in suspension and engine performance ?
Old 01-28-17, 09:10 PM
ubiquity
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMA
What's the big difference in Expert Mode?
What changes are there in suspension and engine performance ?
I think expert mode just means Sport+ setting for the car and TVD and traction control off. At least that's what I remember from when Jezza reviewed the RC F
Old 01-29-17, 01:25 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Ten months after the original posts and we can see how the $87k price tag worked out. So much for Jeremy's review saving the car.
Old 01-29-17, 04:07 PM
tpavdub
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how he gave Lexus credit sticking with non-forced induction. Great review...nice car!
Old 01-29-17, 04:21 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tpavdub
I like how he gave Lexus credit sticking with non-forced induction. Great review...nice car!
I've always liked Clarkson and thought that he was the best out of the Trio.

Tis true that Lexus is one of the last companies to offer a N/A V8. Though even they will have to start downsizing and have to go the turbo/Super charger route i'd imagine. Though they could be like the current gen Audi S6/ BMW M5 route. Twin Turbo 4.0L/4.4L V8. It would give the people clamoring for more lower end torque.

Though Audi is downsizing the S6 and going to a TT V6 and leaving the TT V8 for the S7/RS7 lineup from what I've read.
Old 01-30-17, 07:02 PM
danwlee
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ubiquity
I think expert mode just means Sport+ setting for the car and TVD and traction control off. At least that's what I remember from when Jezza reviewed the RC F
I was messing around in mine (GS F) today and it goes into expert mode if you're in Sport or Sport + and just turn the Traction Control off. TVD setting didn't matter.
Old 01-31-17, 05:18 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Stormryu
I've always liked Clarkson and thought that he was the best out of the Trio.

Tis true that Lexus is one of the last companies to offer a N/A V8. Though even they will have to start downsizing and have to go the turbo/Super charger route i'd imagine. Though they could be like the current gen Audi S6/ BMW M5 route. Twin Turbo 4.0L/4.4L V8. It would give the people clamoring for more lower end torque.

Though Audi is downsizing the S6 and going to a TT V6 and leaving the TT V8 for the S7/RS7 lineup from what I've read.
I've read that same rumor about the S6/7, but only in one place (Motor Trend if I recall correctly). I really find it hard to believe. I hope it's wrong. I still want to see attainable V8s, and even BMW is continuing one in the new M550
Old 02-02-17, 12:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,476 Likes on 1,781 Posts

Grand Tour Review

https://*******/hO3O
Old 02-04-17, 11:19 AM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
I've read that same rumor about the S6/7, but only in one place (Motor Trend if I recall correctly). I really find it hard to believe. I hope it's wrong. I still want to see attainable V8s, and even BMW is continuing one in the new M550
Apparently Car & Driver Mag also stated this last year April (Older comment thread, yea). They were discussing it on Audi world

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-c...nt-so-2898436/

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-c...rumor-2906692/

Now I agree that this is all speculation, there seems to be a consensus on making the next gen S6 lighter. One way to do that is to shrink the engine or use lighter materials to make the engine/vital components. That being said, the S6 was not meant to be a sports car (contrary to what I thought initially). It's a luxury sedan that can accelerate quickly and have a high top speed, grade A ride quality, and have good not great handling/under-steer (partially due to what their Quattro system does to their engine layout, forcing it to sit more towards the front of the car/over front axle, compared to a more traditional layout?)

One quote from Audiworld about the potential shrinking yielding better handling

Probably more correct to say there is less engine in front of the front axle rather than the engine is moved back. Front axle drive shafts and keeping a low centre of gravity restrict where the engine can go. Certainly, reducing engine weight improves handling in general, and particularly in designs like Audi or Porsche 911 where much of the engine weight is outside the axles.
There is another snippet from a forum member on Audi world

The C8 platform will be lighter. It has also been announced today that Audi will be using the V6 TT in the base model version of the R8. The article also mentioned the RS4, RS5, and an RS Q5 (which is a first) would be using this engine. There was no mention of the S6 or S7 receiving this engine.
So it'll be interesting to see if Audi will still be running with the TT V8 in the '18 S6. And I agree, I'd like to still see V8's on the market as a way to keep the market diverse and still allow us to have that V8 culture whether N/A, TT or Supercharged. It's one way to be able to look at the GS F/ RC F as what their engines might become in the next generation when they finally add a Charger option. I'm betting my money on Turbo charging, Granted we still have to wait another, 4 years before they do the models? That is how often Lexus does their redesign, right?
Old 02-06-17, 03:48 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Stormryu
Apparently Car & Driver Mag also stated this last year April (Older comment thread, yea). They were discussing it on Audi world

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-c...nt-so-2898436/

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-c...rumor-2906692/

Now I agree that this is all speculation, there seems to be a consensus on making the next gen S6 lighter. One way to do that is to shrink the engine or use lighter materials to make the engine/vital components. That being said, the S6 was not meant to be a sports car (contrary to what I thought initially). It's a luxury sedan that can accelerate quickly and have a high top speed, grade A ride quality, and have good not great handling/under-steer (partially due to what their Quattro system does to their engine layout, forcing it to sit more towards the front of the car/over front axle, compared to a more traditional layout?)

One quote from Audiworld about the potential shrinking yielding better handling

There is another snippet from a forum member on Audi world

So it'll be interesting to see if Audi will still be running with the TT V8 in the '18 S6. And I agree, I'd like to still see V8's on the market as a way to keep the market diverse and still allow us to have that V8 culture whether N/A, TT or Supercharged. It's one way to be able to look at the GS F/ RC F as what their engines might become in the next generation when they finally add a Charger option. I'm betting my money on Turbo charging, Granted we still have to wait another, 4 years before they do the models? That is how often Lexus does their redesign, right?
Good conversation. I agree on all counts!