GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Just picked up a GS-F (ex-F10 M5 owner)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 07:06 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 8spd
Heated steering wheel is also standard along with rear climate control in Canada. There is no cure for the fuel tank size though.

It's also odd that orange brake calipers come standard, but the interior trim is a dark wood trim instead of carbon fiber.
All that awesome then they put wood trim?? Are you sure its the GSF? Sounds like the normal GS.
Old 05-02-16, 03:51 PM
8spd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RayKnight
All that awesome then they put wood trim?? Are you sure its the GSF? Sounds like the normal GS.
My apologies to the OP, don't mean to hijack/derail the thread.

But yeah, I am sure its the GSF. The pictures can be seen on autotrader.ca. The Lexus.ca specification says "Carbon Composite Interior Trim", but clearly the first batch of cars ain't delivered as such in Canada.

Slightly back on topic. Another little thing that irks my OCD is that even with the red interior, the stitching on the dash is still blue. But I would still prefer the red interior over black though. Much sexier.
Old 05-02-16, 05:05 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by 8spd
My apologies to the OP, don't mean to hijack/derail the thread.

But yeah, I am sure its the GSF. The pictures can be seen on autotrader.ca. The Lexus.ca specification says "Carbon Composite Interior Trim", but clearly the first batch of cars ain't delivered as such in Canada.

Slightly back on topic. Another little thing that irks my OCD is that even with the red interior, the stitching on the dash is still blue. But I would still prefer the red interior over black though. Much sexier.
I actually like the blue stitching. My M3 has it too. Its subtle enough it does not bother the red seats at all i think.
Old 05-02-16, 05:21 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I actually like the blue stitching. My M3 has it too. Its subtle enough it does not bother the red seats at all i think.
Agreed. Blue is the signature "F" color and I like that they incorporated it (subtly) in the interior.
Old 05-02-16, 06:59 PM
8spd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like I said, it's just my OCD and individual preference. I do like the blue stitch on the gear ****, it accents nicely.

Kinda like the Red/Blue stitching on the steering wheel and gear ***** on BMW M cars. The dashboard stitchings, I do prefer the color to match the main interior color theme, which they do on the BMW M cars as well. But a rather minor detail indeed.
Old 05-06-16, 05:01 PM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

The GS-F transmission upshifts great. No gripes at all there. I do have an issue how slow it is to downshift. If you are going 60 and mash the gas, its literally 1.5-2 seconds before its in the right gear and taking off.
I have the same AA80E 8-speed with my 2010 GS 460 and it does take a while to downshift. I am surprised Lexus haven't made the down kick faster (they have had plenty of time - AA80E was introduced in 2007) - so maybe its not software related but mechanical?
Old 05-06-16, 07:41 PM
disguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that ///M3 in the back is soooo nice.
Old 05-10-16, 09:15 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by disguy
that ///M3 in the back is soooo nice.
Thanks! Its a wild beast of a car for sure. Lots of fun.

Name:  20160510_235706.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  7.32 MB

Name:  20150619_161737.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  5.33 MB

Name:  20160510_235854.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  5.00 MB
Old 05-10-16, 09:17 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by 703
I have the same AA80E 8-speed with my 2010 GS 460 and it does take a while to downshift. I am surprised Lexus haven't made the down kick faster (they have had plenty of time - AA80E was introduced in 2007) - so maybe its not software related but mechanical?
My IS-F kicked down hard and fast. So its hard to say. Maybe it just needs to break in. I had about 30k on the IS-F when i got rid of it. She was well beaten in
Old 05-10-16, 09:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

gorgeous interior on the m3. and 6mt too, awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-10-16, 09:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

My IS-F kicked down hard and fast. So its hard to say. Maybe it just needs to break in. I had about 30k on the IS-F when i got rid of it. She was well beaten in
it has to do with the design. on the isf, when put in sport, the tq converter is locked and the shifting it much faster and like you said -- hard. the same tranny on the gs460 or the ls460 has no such mode to lock the tq converter
Old 05-11-16, 02:29 AM
Lead Lap

Received 790 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
it has to do with the design. on the isf, when put in sport, the tq converter is locked and the shifting it much faster and like you said -- hard. the same tranny on the gs460 or the ls460 has no such mode to lock the tq converter
Interesting. What about the RC F and GS F?
Old 05-11-16, 11:11 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Quick question for the OP - since you have the beast M3 as your crazy true sports car, what made you get an M5 or now GS-F as a second car and not a more relaxed car like a 7 Series or LS when you don't feel like driving aggressive.

I am just curious since they lie within the same price ranges, I just like to see peoples thoughts on cars
Old 05-11-16, 12:48 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by mikedozz
Quick question for the OP - since you have the beast M3 as your crazy true sports car, what made you get an M5 or now GS-F as a second car and not a more relaxed car like a 7 Series or LS when you don't feel like driving aggressive.

I am just curious since they lie within the same price ranges, I just like to see peoples thoughts on cars
M3 actually replaced the M5. The GSF replaced my X5 as my daily car. I still have the X5 for a few months but its put away. 7 series is a nightmare. Its ABSOLUTELY AMAZING yes but always broken. ALWAYS. lol. This is the truth. Also, its just too big. The LS, i drove one and it was way too underpowered and boring for me. Just too quiet and mushy. I like sportier cars but the M3 is at the extreme end. Its always angry. Not nice to drive the family in. Too loud, power hits REALLY hard and ride is pretty harsh even in comfort mode. I drive that car alone on warm sunny days when i can really enjoy it. The GS-F drives almost like an LS when you are not pushing it but transforms into a very fun car when you get on it. The LS is ALWAYS quiet, comfy and boring and never fast and fun. GS-F is a perfect mix. I think the closest car to the GS-F is the BMW 550i but thats another 10k over the GS-F loaded up how i like it. Also, its outdated and due for a complete re-design coming out next year. I will probably look hard at that when the GS-F lease is up but right now, for mid 80k range, the GS-F is damn hard to beat!

Last edited by RayKnight; 05-11-16 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 12:53 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
I thought it had the same tranny. I do recall about the TQ lockup on the IS-F. Maybe thats why it felt faster and more solid shifting. I did not know the GS-F omitted this.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a GS-F (ex-F10 M5 owner)