GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Just picked up a GS-F (ex-F10 M5 owner)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16 | 09:41 AM
RayKnight
Driver

I still say the GSF is more competitor of the BMW 550i M sport. Horsepower is close, tech is close, price is close (BMW tech is a bit better actually when it works right). VERY similar. The 550i M sport makes a lot nicer daily driver than the M5. Very fast but not on the edge like the full M cars. Similar to the GSF. Those cars are the closest competitors. I would not buy an M5 or any 5 series right now anyways because the new model is coming out next year. The current model value is going to crash HARD.
Old 05-23-16 | 12:45 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ichiroll
1. like PatrickISF stated, Lexus never advertised the car as an E63 or M5 competitor. This is true from a price point standpoint.

2. I cross-shopped an E63 with the GS-F. I picked the GS-F because of the sheer amount of quality issues the E63 has, the fact that AMG value drops like a rock, and oh yea the GSF sounds great, drives great, and oh yea it's $30,000 cheaper. And don't tell me I went with the GS-F because I can't handle the performance of the E63. My other car is a GTR, I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

My point: take your hate toward the GSF and get out of the sub-forum. tired of hearing your expert review on the car from a 5-minute test drive let alone someone who has never even driven it and just read the hp and torque numbers.
Don't be a pissy little ***** just because somebody has a different opinion than you do. Last I checked, this isn't North Korea and this is not a propaganda forum with only one viewpoint allowed.

You have 9 posts on CL and just joined 2 months ago, so you can kindly GFY.

The GS has always been a direct competitor to the E and 5 series. You don't think they created the F to compete with M and AMG? If not, you are in denial. Every single one of us on these forums are car enthusiasts and being somebody that has owned multiple Lexus vehicles over the years (and been here a hell of a lot longer than you), I am more than qualified to have an opinion.
Old 05-23-16 | 12:49 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RayKnight
You are right 100%. The GSF cannot compete with the M5 in performance or technology. If its your only car, Hell yes. Go for the M5. However, after owning the M5 for 3 years, i can say its not a great daily driver. Its HORRIBLE in the rain even if you drive like a grandma, struggles for traction unless its perfect weather, back seats are very tight because the front seats are so thick, and mine was plagued with problems i was tired of dealing with. Its on the dealer lot still here, and they still cannot figure out why the check engine light comes on every 4-500 miles. The M5 demands a heavy foot. It feels like a waste if you are not using all that power all the time. I found the M3 is a lot more fun to drive. Its just as fast if not even a touch faster to 60, back seats have more room surprisingly! and its almost 900# lighter and feels it. Its a perfect "toy" yet too aggressive to be a perfect daily driver. The GSF cannot compete as a race car. Its not even close there. It does handle really well and has much better grip than the M5 but power…not even close. The weaker torque below 4000 RPM makes it a fantastic relaxed daily driver and i never felt like its underpowered under full load. It actually pulls hard! See, the M5 was spinning tires, going sideways, or traction control was killing the fun all the time. The GSF grips and moves out. In real driving, the GSF feels just as fast as the M5. Once you get up on freeway speeds the M5 is a MONSTER but only if you like driving 30mph past the speed limit which i don't. The GSF i don't mind driving in the rain. It still grips very good while my M5 struggled to hit 60 in 7-8 seconds on wet roads. So in numbers, the M5 is WAY above the GSF. In real everyday driving, i'll take the GSF every time. Especially with kids and family with me. Its just a smoother, nicer drive. When i want to have some fun and burn some tarmac, the M3 with 6MT simply cannot be beat.
Nice post. Thanks for the viewpoint. The M5 will be my daily driver, but I don't do a lot of driving as I work from home and fly when traveling so it's mostly for fun for me.

I still say the GSF is more competitor of the BMW 550i M sport. Horsepower is close, tech is close, price is close (BMW tech is a bit better actually when it works right). VERY similar. The 550i M sport makes a lot nicer daily driver than the M5. Very fast but not on the edge like the full M cars. Similar to the GSF. Those cars are the closest competitors. I would not buy an M5 or any 5 series right now anyways because the new model is coming out next year. The current model value is going to crash HARD.
Agree on the new model coming out, but the new M won't be out until MY2018 at the earliest. I'm leasing so I'm not as worried about the value or body style. My wife and I are starting a family and it's highly likely that I could wind up in a 550i M Sport or GS-F (if some improvements are made - didn't like the side bolsters or tech when I drove it) next go round.

Last edited by jmtamu; 05-23-16 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-23-16 | 01:18 PM
ichiroll
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jmtamu
Don't be a pissy little ***** just because somebody has a different opinion than you do. Last I checked, this isn't North Korea and this is not a propaganda forum with only one viewpoint allowed.

The GS has always been a direct competitor to the E and 5 series. You don't think they created the F to compete with M and AMG? If not, you are in denial. Every single one of us on these forums are car enthusiasts and being somebody that has owned multiple Lexus vehicles over the years (and been here a hell of a lot longer than you), I am more than qualified to have an opinion.
You come into this thread 5 pages in and hi-jack it telling the OP and everyone else on the thread how his new GSF is a "watered down" sports sedan.

As a fellow owner, I take issue with it.

OK, so your opinion has been stated, you picked a non-Lexus. You think the GSF is crap, why are you still here?
Old 05-23-16 | 01:48 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

You come into this thread 5 pages in and hi-jack it telling the OP and everyone else on the thread how his new GSF is a "watered down" sports sedan.

As a fellow owner, I take issue with it.

OK, so your opinion has been stated, you picked a non-Lexus. You think the GSF is crap, why are you still here?
You must be new to the internet. Here's a tip: Don't take everything personally. I don't have to answer to you about any of my interests, but I'm here because I've been a longtime Lexus owner in this market segment.

I would appreciate it if you did not put words into my mouth. I never said the GSF is crap. It's a great automobile and better than most people will ever own in their lifetime. But IT IS watered down compared to the vehicles that it is seemingly competing against in the M, S, and AMG and most people on this thread including the OP to seem to agree with that.
Old 05-23-16 | 03:25 PM
ichiroll
Driver School Candidate

you said that the OP can't handle the M5 and wants a watered down performance sedan. why? because he chose the GSF over the M5.

I'm sure there is a niche of people like the OP that can't handle the M5 and want a watered down performance sedan, but Lexus abandoned most car enthusiasts that want a high performance sport sedan that will compete with the M5, CTS-V, and E63.
and then you continue blab on about your delivery that no one cares about, all in the OP's "just picked up a GS-F" thread.

I take delivery of my new M5 in 9 days at the Performance Center in South Carolina and can't wait. My wife will be taking over the GS 350 F-sport. I do love the Lexus interior, but everything else Lexus is pretty weak compared to BMW.
if I didn't know better I would say your "interest" is in self-promoting and justifying to yourself that the M5 is better than the GS-F.

i mean, how else can you mention your M5 purchase on 3 different threads in one day?

hopefully in 8 days you will have better things to do than justify your decision by criticizing other members.
Old 05-23-16 | 05:21 PM
jmtamu
Pole Position

you said that the OP can't handle the M5 and wants a watered down performance sedan. why? because he chose the GSF over the M5.

and then you continue blab on about your delivery that no one cares about, all in the OP's "just picked up a GS-F" thread.

if I didn't know better I would say your "interest" is in self-promoting and justifying to yourself that the M5 is better than the GS-F.

i mean, how else can you mention your M5 purchase on 3 different threads in one day?

hopefully in 8 days you will have better things to do than justify your decision by criticizing other members.
LMAO.
Old 05-23-16 | 09:21 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Nice post. Thanks for the viewpoint. The M5 will be my daily driver, but I don't do a lot of driving as I work from home and fly when traveling so it's mostly for fun for me.

Agree on the new model coming out, but the new M won't be out until MY2018 at the earliest. I'm leasing so I'm not as worried about the value or body style. My wife and I are starting a family and it's highly likely that I could wind up in a 550i M Sport or GS-F (if some improvements are made - didn't like the side bolsters or tech when I drove it) next go round.
M5 is definately fun but do yourself a favor and drive the M3 too. Its alot MORE fun yet. And 30-40k cheaper to boot! M5 is more executive class autobahn stormer and the M3 is just an absolute riot to drive. Especially with the 6MT. I think thats what i struggled the most with the M5. It has all the numbers, its comfortable, it has awesome tech, but somehow, its just not really fun to drive after awhile. After the HOLY **** feeling wears off, you start to realize its a giant car and one hand says i paid this much for this horsepower, i need to use it all the time or its a waste, and the other part says this car just really feels too big to go this fast and its not really all that fun. So hard to explain really. That said, i love the X6M. Its actually quicker than the M5. The Xdrive really helps get the car moving. The real M5 horsepower is well over 600 and thats been well documented. With a lightweight or mid engine car that works ok with RWD but the M5 really fights itself for traction pretty much all the time. With DSC on, it just bogs down the engine, and goes annoyingly slow. With MDM mode on, the tires will spin and its a lot faster but when it breaks grip in a straight line, it always kicks the rear end right and aims the car at oncoming traffic. With all traction off, you just straight up die. Lol. Track only. Don't even try it if there are other cars on the road. Unless you want to do donuts, drifts, whatever. The M3 really hooks up so much better than the M5. Less power but a LOT less weight. It hooks right up and pulls really aggressively. The M3 feels a LOT like an F430. Just that raw, light and super aggressive feeling that It can easily handle 500hp or a little more without issue while the M5 IMO is already considerably past the limits of horsepower to traction.

The GSF specs are definately "watered down" compared with the M5 or CTSV. But its like taking the M5, and dialing it down just enough that it works just right. There is no drama with the GSF. Its really awesome to drive. So much easy control of the car yet still VERY fast. If you want the drama, M3 or even Shelby GT350 bring a lot more engaging experiences behind the wheel than the CTSV or M5 and cost a lot less.

Last edited by RayKnight; 05-23-16 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-23-16 | 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

M5 is definately fun but do yourself a favor and drive the M3 too. Its alot MORE fun yet. And 30-40k cheaper to boot! M5 is more executive class autobahn stormer and the M3 is just an absolute riot to drive. Especially with the 6MT. I think thats what i struggled the most with the M5. It has all the numbers, its comfortable, it has awesome tech, but somehow, its just not really fun to drive after awhile. After the HOLY **** feeling wears off, you start to realize its a giant car and one hand says i paid this much for this horsepower, i need to use it all the time or its a waste, and the other part says this car just really feels too big to go this fast and its not really all that fun. So hard to explain really. That said, i love the X6M. Its actually quicker than the M5. The Xdrive really helps get the car moving. The real M5 horsepower is well over 600 and thats been well documented. With a lightweight or mid engine car that works ok with RWD but the M5 really fights itself for traction pretty much all the time. With DSC on, it just bogs down the engine, and goes annoyingly slow. With MDM mode on, the tires will spin and its a lot faster but when it breaks grip in a straight line, it always kicks the rear end right and aims the car at oncoming traffic. With all traction off, you just straight up die. Lol. Track only. Don't even try it if there are other cars on the road. Unless you want to do donuts, drifts, whatever. The M3 really hooks up so much better than the M5. Less power but a LOT less weight. It hooks right up and pulls really aggressively. The M3 feels a LOT like an F430. Just that raw, light and super aggressive feeling that It can easily handle 500hp or a little more without issue while the M5 IMO is already considerably past the limits of horsepower to traction.
with the m3 getting cheaper and cheaper (lease price wise), i am thinking more and more about it indeed. been thinking about m5 but like you said it's a compromise between size and performance, and the extra 200 bucks difference in lease.

reading your post makes me leaning towards the m3 even more
Old 05-23-16 | 09:39 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
with the m3 getting cheaper and cheaper (lease price wise), i am thinking more and more about it indeed. been thinking about m5 but like you said it's a compromise between size and performance, and the extra 200 bucks difference in lease.

I got every option on my M3 except DCT and with the 68% residual, i am paying $423/mo with 7k out of pocket. My M5 i was paying $685/mo with 25k out of pocket. Both 3yr/36k. The M5 i always thought was a really nice car but it never felt like a sports car. The M3 every time i drive it its ear to ear grins and laughter. Its just a perfect balance of handling, power, traction and control. Same feeling i get driving Ferraris, Lambos, etc. It just has that exotic feeling to it. Its too much crazy for a family car it really is. Thats why i added the GSF to the fleet. But as a toy i can't think of any car i've ever enjoyed more than the F80 M3.
Old 05-23-16 | 09:45 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

What numbers and lease prices are people able to get wth the m3?
Old 05-24-16 | 05:04 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Jmtamu, last I checked, you aren't a moderator.

With your tenure on CL, you should know that rude posts like these are not allowed here and you can see the reason why...

Please exit this thread.
Old 05-24-16 | 09:24 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

I got every option on my M3 except DCT and with the 68% residual, i am paying $423/mo with 7k out of pocket. My M5 i was paying $685/mo with 25k out of pocket. Both 3yr/36k. The M5 i always thought was a really nice car but it never felt like a sports car. The M3 every time i drive it its ear to ear grins and laughter. Its just a perfect balance of handling, power, traction and control. Same feeling i get driving Ferraris, Lambos, etc. It just has that exotic feeling to it. Its too much crazy for a family car it really is. Thats why i added the GSF to the fleet. But as a toy i can't think of any car i've ever enjoyed more than the F80 M3.
great info there, that's quite a big difference on your prices! did you get both cars when they first came out?

423 with 7k down 3 yrs, that's like 625 a month with zero down. that sounds a lot cheaper than the ongoing rate??? i mean, 600 bucks to lease a m3 (80k car) for 3 yrs, i'd jump on it.

685 with 25k down 3 yrs, that's almost 1400 a month with zero down. that's on the high side unless it was the first year model?

Originally Posted by ssmoked
What numbers and lease prices are people able to get wth the m3?
so far from the rough number i get, it's around 800 for m3 and 1000 for m5 give or take. but i haven't checked on prices for a while since it will be another 6 months or so before i start shopping again
Old 05-25-16 | 05:30 AM
suprajjang
Driver School Candidate

great info there, that's quite a big difference on your prices! did you get both cars when they first came out?

423 with 7k down 3 yrs, that's like 625 a month with zero down. that sounds a lot cheaper than the ongoing rate??? i mean, 600 bucks to lease a m3 (80k car) for 3 yrs, i'd jump on it.

685 with 25k down 3 yrs, that's almost 1400 a month with zero down. that's on the high side unless it was the first year model?

so far from the rough number i get, it's around 800 for m3 and 1000 for m5 give or take. but i haven't checked on prices for a while since it will be another 6 months or so before i start shopping again
Your numbers for the M3 seem more in line with the current going rate. I just started shopping for the M3 and 3 year 10k lease residuals for the F80 is 63% and 62% for the F82.
Old 05-25-16 | 06:47 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by suprajjang
Your numbers for the M3 seem more in line with the current going rate. I just started shopping for the M3 and 3 year 10k lease residuals for the F80 is 63% and 62% for the F82.
When i got mine in September, 36 mo 12k residual was 68% and money factor was really good too. I was happy! Plus i paid 500 below invoice and buy rate. The M5 residual was not good nor was the rate in december 2012. I paid invoice for that one but had to put a ton down to get a good payment.

Quick Reply: Just picked up a GS-F (ex-F10 M5 owner)