My humble 2 cents

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-16, 09:30 PM
SolidG1
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My humble 2 cents

Hello,
New member here and it's my first posting. However, I've been actively following this forum on the sidelines ever since the GSF came out. For most of 2016, I've been obsessed with the GSF and I even carry magazine cutouts of it in my briefcase so I can look at it from time to time. I know what color I want: white with red interior, and install the carbon fiber sumeru kit as soon as I get it. I love the car, the sound, and I understand Lexus has the highest reliability, resale value, and customer satisfaction ever.

However, let's be realistic.

Lexus Canada wants $97,000 before tax for the 2017 GSF. I sat in one at the autoshow and I'm sorry to say I was not impressed at my dream car. In terms of luxury and technology, the GSF is not in the same level. I squeezed the back of the steering wheel, at the 3 and 9 o'clock spots where you put your hands, and it felt hollow like they put the leather wrap over a hole. I pressed on the center console leather where my right leg rests; it felt spongy and hollow, and not as solid as I would expect. I then sat in the Audi S6 and the new BMW 540, and both were impressive. You're immersed in beautiful leather interior and carbon fiber trim, with the newest LED displays plus technology. Audi's center console is all carbon fiber and seats are diamond stitched leather.

In comparison, the 2017 S6 starts at $90,850 Cad. Hell, I could fully load a 2017 Q7 which has a starting price of $61,900 Cad and still have money left over. I know, I know...the GSF is unique and the examples I've listed are apples and oranges. But if I'm spending this significant amount of money, which is a downpayment to a house for some people, it better feel like $100,000 dollar car.

And then this happened:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-g...nnounced/35480
The new BMW M550 comes out in the spring. 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8, producing 462hp at 5,500rpm and 479lb ft from 1,800rpm. Rear-biased xDrive all-wheel drive, 0-62mph is 4.0 seconds and top speed is 155mph.

I'm sorry Lexus, but I might just have to let you go...

Mack
Old 12-20-16, 08:15 AM
tsongdds
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

bye felicia

In all seriousness, the new 5 series is pretty awesome but I would wait until they work out the all kinks with the first year model. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the choices you listed above.
Old 12-20-16, 12:22 PM
SolidG1
Driver

Yea, I think so too. The more I think about it, a GSF feels like a $60,000 Cad car with $20,000 Cad for the powertrain + differential + performance brakes & wheels. It does not justify the $97,000 that they are asking in my opinion. I understand it's not a luxury vehicle like the LS, but to be competitive at this price range, I would expect so for what they are asking.

And what's up with the suede leather screwed onto the dash on top of the gauges? Seems like an afterthought to me. Maybe I'm nit picking now....
Old 12-20-16, 01:16 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by SolidG1
Hello,
New member here and it's my first posting. However, I've been actively following this forum on the sidelines ever since the GSF came out. For most of 2016, I've been obsessed with the GSF and I even carry magazine cutouts of it in my briefcase so I can look at it from time to time. I know what color I want: white with red interior, and install the carbon fiber sumeru kit as soon as I get it. I love the car, the sound, and I understand Lexus has the highest reliability, resale value, and customer satisfaction ever.

However, let's be realistic.

Lexus Canada wants $97,000 before tax for the 2017 GSF. I sat in one at the autoshow and I'm sorry to say I was not impressed at my dream car. In terms of luxury and technology, the GSF is not in the same level. I squeezed the back of the steering wheel, at the 3 and 9 o'clock spots where you put your hands, and it felt hollow like they put the leather wrap over a hole. I pressed on the center console leather where my right leg rests; it felt spongy and hollow, and not as solid as I would expect. I then sat in the Audi S6 and the new BMW 540, and both were impressive. You're immersed in beautiful leather interior and carbon fiber trim, with the newest LED displays plus technology. Audi's center console is all carbon fiber and seats are diamond stitched leather.

In comparison, the 2017 S6 starts at $90,850 Cad. Hell, I could fully load a 2017 Q7 which has a starting price of $61,900 Cad and still have money left over. I know, I know...the GSF is unique and the examples I've listed are apples and oranges. But if I'm spending this significant amount of money, which is a downpayment to a house for some people, it better feel like $100,000 dollar car.

And then this happened:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-g...nnounced/35480
The new BMW M550 comes out in the spring. 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8, producing 462hp at 5,500rpm and 479lb ft from 1,800rpm. Rear-biased xDrive all-wheel drive, 0-62mph is 4.0 seconds and top speed is 155mph.

I'm sorry Lexus, but I might just have to let you go...

Mack
I too was like you and was eagerly awaiting the release of the GSF and for the $88K initial asking price, I was greatly let down after initial test drives for many of the same reasons you noted. A purchase was very hard to justify at that price.

That said, some of us in the US are picking 2016's up new for mid-to-high $60's and that was more than enough to put me happily in a GSF.
Old 12-20-16, 04:28 PM
SolidG1
Driver

Unfortunately here in Canada, my local dealers don't even bother stocking up on the GSF. They are having a hard time getting people to buy the 2016 GS350 already, which is the same price as a BMW 535.
Old 12-22-16, 04:27 AM
ForzaF
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Unfortunately here in Canada, my local dealers don't even bother stocking up on the GSF. They are having a hard time getting people to buy the 2016 GS350 already, which is the same price as a BMW 535.

I totaly agree with you 97k is ridiculous for this car now imagine how the Aussies must feel when they pay even more , our dealer had 1 and finally sold or got leased after being in the showroom for couple months. There is a buyer that eventually will pay the price. Now all the F cars are on order basis as dealer doesnt want to hold on to a car thats not selling here.
Old 12-22-16, 06:40 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

I'll beat the dead horse a lil more....The GSF is worth $64k-$68k USD, not a dime more. It's a VERY nice car though. I test drove it (only a 20 min test drive) and I was super disappointed compared to my '12 IS F. But the GSF had plenty of trunk and rear seat space, if that's what you need, and had a lot of new technology and gadgets, if that's what you're into. Salesman tried to get me to trade in my ISF with 25k miles on it for a new GSF for $90k....Requiring me to cover and additional $50k!!!!!!!! I wouldn't pick the GSF over a fairly new, showroom floor type ISF if they were the same cost, and def not for another $50k.

But like another member said, the GSF will be an EXCELLENT 2nd owners car. Unless molested and ragged out, I don't see the used prices being under $45k til 4-5 years down the road and well over 100k miles. There's just nothing 'wrong' with the GSF besides the price.

V.
Old 12-22-16, 08:53 PM
Trig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will also chime in, first post as well. I purchased a GSF almost a month ago. I was able to test drive GSF and BMW m3 back to back (i was all set on the M3 actually). As in got out of one car and immediately into the other. If you are comparing a GSF at sticker to alot of other cars its not viable (for me at least). Even at 69k (for the F) was not enough to sway me from the m3 at 8k more. But I feel like they gave me an ok deal on the GSF in the end and it won, but i went back and forth for a week on the decision. I liked the seats better in the F the only thing I wish they had is thigh cushion adjust (im 6'3"). But the M was noticably faster and felt like it had more racecar soul.

Another side note I will stop just short of bashing another car make, but after my current TDI situation there is 0% chance of me buying another VW/Audi. I should have learned after the first experience. Enjoy your decision either way there are fantastic cars in this range.
Old 12-23-16, 08:48 AM
SolidG1
Driver

Can you tell me more about your TDI situation?
Old 12-24-16, 07:01 AM
Trig
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you tell me more about your TDI situation?

PM sent. Cheers.