GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Bird chirp sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 07:18 AM
Gomz91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bird chirp sound

I have a noise coming from the front of the car everytime i close my door.
1.car is off
2.it comes and goes
3. Once i get out and close my door you hear it once(birdlike whistle almost)
any one else experience this?
Old 03-30-17, 09:00 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,975 Likes on 2,405 Posts

The driver's side door on ours makes a chirping noise when I close it. Sounds like the hinge or the travel limiter, but it isn't loud. I hear it in our garage because it is very quiet.

I also notice a chirping noise from the engine bay when the engine is idling. My IS F does not make this noise at all. Almost sounds like a bad belt tensioner pulley.
Old 03-30-17, 09:31 PM
Gomz91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The driver's side door on ours makes a chirping noise when I close it. Sounds like the hinge or the travel limiter, but it isn't loud. I hear it in our garage because it is very quiet.

I also notice a chirping noise from the engine bay when the engine is idling. My IS F does not make this noise at all. Almost sounds like a bad belt tensioner pulley.

yea thats exactly what im talking about if i slam the door harder it will do it louder its kind of weird my friend has an rc f and it does the same, it comes and goes but its pretty annoying
i have oil change service coming up and hopefully they can get rid of it , i will keep updating
thanks for the input!
Old 04-02-17, 07:59 PM
Rcuervo
Driver School Candidate

I'm hearing a similar sound but thats when I'm going 3-5 mph then it goes away, I have a 2017 with 300 miles on it. I'm planning on taking it to the dealer, I advise the same
Old 04-05-17, 05:19 AM
Elitedax3
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

I noticed this sound also when closing my drivers door. I believe its the sound from the rubber door seal rubbing against the rubber on the body of the fender. This is just a guess and I haven't confirmed.
Old 04-05-17, 10:52 AM
Gomz91
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Elitedax3
I noticed this sound also when closing my drivers door. I believe its the sound from the rubber door seal rubbing against the rubber on the body of the fender. This is just a guess and I haven't confirmed.
yeah its something in the engine bay i have oil change scheduled so ill be posting soon
Old 04-11-17, 09:52 PM
Gomz91
Driver School Candidate

This is the noise i experienced

Trending Topics

Old 04-12-17, 05:08 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Fortunately can say I do not hear that sound in my 16.
The following users liked this post:
RC51TOFUMA (04-12-17)
Old 04-12-17, 12:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

This is the noise I hear. Volume needs to be up, it's a cellphone video.

Old 04-12-17, 03:06 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I guess, bust out the JACKETS you're not the only one. Must be a engineering problem with our cars...

I sprayed auto silicon with temp relief

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This is the noise I hear. Volume needs to be up, it's a cellphone video.

https://youtu.be/CuWMyaDEIN4
Old 04-14-17, 10:30 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Small victory tonight. I found and at least temporarily fixed the squeak in the door. It is caused by the seal at the leading edge of the door (see pic with the blue plastic tool) rubbing against another plastic shield installed at the rear of the front fender. Mine was rubbing dead in the middle. I cleaned it and applied 3M dry type silicone (the same stuff the dealers use) and the noise is gone. To do a completely effective fix, one would likely need to remove the door to get access to the piece mounted at the rear of the fender. Anyway, pics are here to show where the problem exists. If you spray the silicone directly on the seal with the door closed, you'll solve 80% of the issue. I opened the door and sprayed the other piece as well. It is quiet as a church mouse now.
Attached Thumbnails Bird chirp sound-20170415_004253.jpg   Bird chirp sound-20170415_003931.jpg   Bird chirp sound-20170415_003831.jpg  
Old 05-07-17, 07:14 AM
GtDiesel
9th Gear

I had a chirp coming out of front when closing the front doors as well. Seemed to be getting worse and was driving me nuts.

At last service appointment I mentioned it to them and they found+fixed it. It took them awhile and the tech ended up taking apart the front of the car a bit. If I remember right it was a bracket on the headlight housing. He took a bunch of pictures and passed it to warranty. Appreciated his approach - said "this would drive me nuts I will find it".

Nalley Lexus in Smyrna service department fwiw. Now the front doors are just a solid quick thud like the rear doors.
Old 05-07-18, 07:39 PM
Rrgirgis
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started to get the bird chirp sound too when i opened and closed my driver side door. I followed louboxracers guide and it was definitely coming from that location he pointed to in the picture. Its the rubber door gasket rubbing on the plastic liner behind the fender.

i just got a wet rag and cleaned the the surface behind the fender and applied some tri-flow dry lubricant to the plastic. It stopped the chrip sound, hopefully it keeps it from coming back any time soon. But a quick fix that took all of two minutes.

thanks louboxracer for the info!
Old 05-07-18, 09:50 PM
SolidG1
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes! I have the same problem as well and it's been bugging me for a month. When I took the car in for the fuel pump recall and showed them the squeak problem, 3 technicians tried to convince me that the squeak is caused by a prior accident which led to the fender/door not aligned. I refused to believe that as I know the car has not been in any accident. I asked them to prove to me that this car has been repaired, and he pointed out 3 dust specs and stated well this was repaired in a really good facility because during the manufacturing process Lexus builds their cars in a dust free environment. I frankly told him that's not good enough evidence that this car has been crashed, so I had the assistant service manager check with corp. to see what they can do.

The next day, the assistant service manager calls me back and states Lexus will only cover adjustments for the first year. He refused to cover it under the bumper to bumper warranty and he suggested I pay for an autobody shop to make the door adjustment on my own dime. I find there was no sense arguing about it so I let it go. It was clear to me that he had done more than enough to labor in the fuel pump replacements, so he was not going to waste more time on adjusting this door.

To this day, the door squeaks when it's wet like from rain or car wash when the stupid rubber pieces rub. But I'll try the 3M silicone lubrication, and I'm more than happen to confirm there hasn't been any prior accidents since everyone is having the same manufacturing defect problem.
Old 05-10-18, 01:38 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

It's either a manufacturing defect or Lexus is fixing cars, selling them, and not telling us. 3M's stuff works for about 9 months, then needs to be reapplied. The door is NOT out of adjustment, the plastic shield is. Dumb response from your dealer, and they get paid for all the warranty work. There are no favors they do for free.

Quick Reply: Bird chirp sound