GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Does anyone else think the GS-F seats are uncomfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 06:49 AM
RDUIS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone else think the GS-F seats are uncomfortable?

I have had my GS-F since August. Traded "up" from a 2014 IS 350. I knew the seats were "sporty", but I cannot sit in this thing for more than 20 minutes without lower back pain so I can't use it for road trips anymore. I have tried adjusting the seats up and adjusting lumbar but I've almost given up at this point. I'm 5' 10", 190 lbs with a fairly broad back so it hugs me pretty tightly.

There's no denying it's a fun car to drive and I love the engine and TVD, but I think they went a bit too far in giving up comfort to beat the M5. Naturally-aspirated V8 = good. Non-adjustable hard foam sport seats = bad. At least I only have another 1.5 years left on the lease.

Has anyone else had this issue in the GS-F or another car with seats like this? Am I missing something about optimal seat position?
Old 04-10-17, 12:23 PM
tq745
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I find it one of the most comfortable seats ever, and I'm coming from a 2008 LS460 L. I drive the car hard so I like that it keeps me seated snug.
Old 04-10-17, 02:59 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RDUIS350
I have had my GS-F since August. Traded "up" from a 2014 IS 350. I knew the seats were "sporty", but I cannot sit in this thing for more than 20 minutes without lower back pain so I can't use it for road trips anymore. I have tried adjusting the seats up and adjusting lumbar but I've almost given up at this point. I'm 5' 10", 190 lbs with a fairly broad back so it hugs me pretty tightly.

There's no denying it's a fun car to drive and I love the engine and TVD, but I think they went a bit too far in giving up comfort to beat the M5. Naturally-aspirated V8 = good. Non-adjustable hard foam sport seats = bad. At least I only have another 1.5 years left on the lease.

Has anyone else had this issue in the GS-F or another car with seats like this? Am I missing something about optimal seat position?
I know it's a lease, though it Seems like a long time to keep a car in which the seats hurt your back (especially if this back fatigue happens in a short drive time). I know these seats aren't as adjustable as some other competitors, but I haven't heard many people say they find these seats uncomfortable (people with varying body sizes). Have you tried any cushions or anything like that? If so what brand?
Old 04-10-17, 03:26 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Completed 3 round trips from Austin to Dallas (400 Miles) each time and never felt uncomfortable to me or my family...Perfect family JDM Muscle Sedan...

Originally Posted by tq745
I drive the car hard so I like that it keeps me seated snug.

Last edited by 16GSF00336; 04-10-17 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-10-17, 03:44 PM
TheREKing
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah these seats are extremely unpleasant on lower legs/back area. Motivation to lose weight?

LMAO

-6'3, 275lb .
Old 04-10-17, 04:42 PM
IsfClyde
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Love the seats and I'm 6"0 250. I find it more comfortable than my ISF seat were
Old 04-10-17, 05:08 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

same seats that are in the RC-F correct? it took a while to break mine in.. the first couple of months they seemed hard on my back as well.. I'm a large guy with a large frame, 6'1" 250lbs, and very broad shoulders and upper back, and I don't have an issue any longer. did a cross country drive from CA to TN and back last summer, did have to stop every 4 hours or so to stretch, but that would have been true in any vehicle.

sparco makes lumbar support cushions for sport seats, maybe they have something that will help?

https://www.carid.com/seat-pads-inserts.html
Old 04-10-17, 09:59 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

6'6" and 215#. My seats are SUPER comfortable. Best seats i've ever had actually!
Old 04-11-17, 12:37 PM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RayKnight
6'6" and 215#. My seats are SUPER comfortable. Best seats i've ever had actually!
Way more comfortable than the ISF seats in my opinion and the GSF seats are very good but anything more than 45 minutes of non-spirited driving, I find the lower spine area a bit uncomfortable but by no means a deal breaker. 185 lbs 5'10" here.

Girlfriend already thinks I am a hard-*** so no changes in the near future.

Last edited by mr2dave; 04-13-17 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-13-17, 09:49 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
same seats that are in the RC-F correct? it took a while to break mine in.. the first couple of months they seemed hard on my back as well.. I'm a large guy with a large frame, 6'1" 250lbs, and very broad shoulders and upper back, and I don't have an issue any longer. did a cross country drive from CA to TN and back last summer, did have to stop every 4 hours or so to stretch, but that would have been true in any vehicle.
l
Can someone coNFIRM if the GS-F seats are same as the RC-F?
Old 04-17-17, 08:46 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I am big in the thighs and I cannot do more than 30 minutes comfortably in the IS350. When I rest my foot on the dead pedal, my knee swings out and the outside seat bottom bolster digs right into my thigh. Same, but worse, with the GS-F that I drove. My Mustang has Recaros that I had to add a little foam to the same spot, but I fit in perfectly now. I spent 6 hours in a C7 Corvette with tight, supportive seats, but GM built those seats with denser foam, not metal spars, to make supportive seat bottoms. The IS, RC, and -F models are built for slim, mid-height Japanese drivers, not fat tall Thai drivers, as it turns out.
Old 04-17-17, 09:49 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sue Them For Discrimination

Originally Posted by panyo64
I am big in the thighs and I cannot do more than 30 minutes comfortably in the IS350. When I rest my foot on the dead pedal, my knee swings out and the outside seat bottom bolster digs right into my thigh. Same, but worse, with the GS-F that I drove. My Mustang has Recaros that I had to add a little foam to the same spot, but I fit in perfectly now. I spent 6 hours in a C7 Corvette with tight, supportive seats, but GM built those seats with denser foam, not metal spars, to make supportive seat bottoms. The IS, RC, and -F models are built for slim, mid-height Japanese drivers, not fat tall Thai drivers, as it turns out.
So what legal action will you be taking? Because this type of discrimination just cannot be ignored in our society.
Old 05-15-17, 08:27 PM
Fonjozy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say the seats in my 2015 IS350 FSport where more comfy.
Old 05-16-17, 04:51 AM
E90076
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny because when I first sat in them, I thought they were the most comfortable seats I'd experienced...but yeah after driving 30 min...they aren't that comfortable. Not terrible though - just keep adjusting the seat and lumbar to see if there's a better position for you.
Old 05-16-17, 08:42 AM
leahb16GSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find the seats to be very comfortable, now I am little and only 5 feet tall, so I can only speak from my perspective. I have not had any issues with back or legs being sore from driving thus far regardless of whether I have driven for 15 minutes or 2 hours. After a few hours, like with any car, you need a stretch. But otherwise, comfortable and no complaints.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else think the GS-F seats are uncomfortable?