GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Is the GS-F dead?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 09:54 AM
xboxfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the GS-F dead?

If I do a cars.com search for 500 miles around NYC, I see 20 new 2016 GS-Fs, and only 13 new 2017 GS-Fs.

I wish I had bought the GS-F at the end of last year when it was going for 20k off. But I wasn't tracking their prices until it was too late.

Now that most dealers aren't willing to do 20k off anymore, the remaining 2016s are just sitting. I'm guessing there's almost no 2017 sales.

I can't imagine Lexus will build a 2018 model when there's hardly any sales of the 2017 model.

I'm guessing that if Lexus dropped the price by 20k on both -- putting a GS-F around 70k, it would sell like crazy.

Anyone have opinions on the future of the F cars?
Old 04-20-17, 11:25 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by xboxfan
If I do a cars.com search for 500 miles around NYC, I see 20 new 2016 GS-Fs, and only 13 new 2017 GS-Fs.

I wish I had bought the GS-F at the end of last year when it was going for 20k off. But I wasn't tracking their prices until it was too late.

Now that most dealers aren't willing to do 20k off anymore, the remaining 2016s are just sitting. I'm guessing there's almost no 2017 sales.

I can't imagine Lexus will build a 2018 model when there's hardly any sales of the 2017 model.

I'm guessing that if Lexus dropped the price by 20k on both -- putting a GS-F around 70k, it would sell like crazy.

Anyone have opinions on the future of the F cars?
my optinion is you are not an efficient negotiator. 20k off is easy. The dealer will not give that to you simply because they think they can sucker more from you

Last edited by ssmoked; 04-20-17 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-20-17, 02:09 PM
sumrtoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to have one but I 'm will not pay what their asking for the GS-F. I have a 2008 IS-F love the car but I want more room. I drive a 1999 GS400 with 275,000 on it and drive it all the time and I love this car. My IS-F in 2-1/2 years I have only put 20,000 on it hoping to sale it for the GS-F when the price is right or I'm going with the GTR. Car dealer have out price most cars so most people can not afford them or their now offering 10 year financing and that is NOT FOR ME. I think if car sales slow it will force them to lower prices so I'm wait them out.
Old 04-20-17, 03:04 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Lexus definitely priced the GSF wrong...it really shows in the sales figures. I don't think they'll discontinue it after just 2 model years, but this will make Lexus really think about how they package the performance and price for future F cars.
Old 04-20-17, 03:23 PM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Lexus definitely priced the GSF wrong...it really shows in the sales figures. I don't think they'll discontinue it after just 2 model years, but this will make Lexus really think about how they package the performance and price for future F cars.
Yea, I agree. Though I was curious as to what the majority thought the car at its current set up, should cost? I was thinking anywhere between 70K ~ 75K? I wouldn't mind being able to make a poll, and seeing what people think. I know that it comes standard with a lot of features that other companies make you pay for (I'm looking at you BMW . I Like the M550 XDrive, but blind spot detection should be standard . Especially in this class of cars. It's standard on the Audi S6 and GS F and E43 AMG).
Old 04-21-17, 08:39 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sumrtoy
I would love to have one but I 'm will not pay what their asking for the GS-F. I have a 2008 IS-F love the car but I want more room. I drive a 1999 GS400 with 275,000 on it and drive it all the time and I love this car. My IS-F in 2-1/2 years I have only put 20,000 on it hoping to sale it for the GS-F when the price is right or I'm going with the GTR. Car dealer have out price most cars so most people can not afford them or their now offering 10 year financing and that is NOT FOR ME. I think if car sales slow it will force them to lower prices so I'm wait them out.
do they really offer 10 year financing now, lol....I guess if it's your dream car and would keep at least 7 years, you would break even since it's a specialty car....not a great financial decision but you only live once lol
Old 04-21-17, 11:33 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

^^^^I've had my ISF for 8½ years now. Still doing things to it. Don't see myself getting rid of it for awhile. Never liked a car this much or kept one for this long BTW, paid cash for it, brand new.

Lou
Old 04-21-17, 11:54 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
my optinion is you are not an efficient negotiator. 20k off is easy. The dealer will not give that to you simply because they think they can sucker more from you
So what are your tactics to being a efficient negotiator for getting 20K off the asking price easy?

Some dealers simply will not budge on price and would rather just have the car sit on the lot then sell it at a price potential buyers are offering or a good deal.

I was looking at a used car online and the dealership actually just raised the price by $2000 since I asked some questions about it(which they will not answer by email), the car has been on sale/lot since Oct 2016, no wonder it is not selling.
Old 04-21-17, 12:09 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Agree, I said when seeing the specs it was priced way too high and will not sell, same with the RC F, some thing with the LC and new LS if it is priced near 90K. They should have priced the GS F around 70K, even under 70K instead of the only real way to sell is for some dealerships to take 20K off the price. Lexus can not price cars like BMW or Mercedes prices cars. What good does it do to spend all that money developing a car and then price it so high that it does not sell and is not seen on the road?
Old 04-21-17, 01:14 PM
tq745
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
Agree, I said when seeing the specs it was priced way too high and will not sell, same with the RC F, some thing with the LC and new LS if it is priced near 90K. They should have priced the GS F around 70K, even under 70K instead of the only real way to sell is for some dealerships to take 20K off the price. Lexus can not price cars like BMW or Mercedes prices cars. What good does it do to spend all that money developing a car and then price it so high that it does not sell and is not seen on the road?
Agreed. 70k max is the sweet spot for the GS F. That's why when it first came out I was in no hurry to purchase one. Then once dealers started offering 20k off msrp I knew it was time to get one. Now if the GS F had forced induction, 2 stage clutch then I could see the car being upwards of 90k.

Overall, I'm very happy with the GS F and don't regret my purchase one bit. I plan on keeping this car very long.
Old 04-21-17, 02:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,081 Likes on 2,473 Posts

I hadn't ever considered the GS F at all. The wife suggested it when I said, "If you want more room, let's get a Cayenne GTS" and when we shopped them she didn't like the prices. No, the discussion wasn't nearly that compact, but if you boil it down, that's what happened.

I like the GS F. I love my IS F. They are very different.

When she suggested the GS F, I did not know about the incentives. I would never have bought the car at anything north of $75k. When I saw she'd worked a deal for $66k, I thought, "only $11k more than my IS F, and it does have a lot of nice creature comforts the IS does not have" so, it wasn't hard to give the green light to the purchase. That never would have happened if sticker, or even $10k off sticker was the firm price.

Lexus is not listening. I made a very clear request - keep the weight down! I had it relayed to people in a position to have an impact, and here we are with 4000 lb cars - both the RC F and the GS F - so they're not going to make a head and shoulders difference over the competition. It really is all about curb weight, and they just don't want to accept simple physics.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Kira X (04-30-17), yang88she (04-25-17)
Old 04-21-17, 02:48 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UDel
So what are your tactics to being a efficient negotiator for getting 20K off the asking price easy?

Some dealers simply will not budge on price and would rather just have the car sit on the lot then sell it at a price potential buyers are offering or a good deal.

I was looking at a used car online and the dealership actually just raised the price by $2000 since I asked some questions about it(which they will not answer by email), the car has been on sale/lot since Oct 2016, no wonder it is not selling.
buyers lose the second they walk in a dealership to negotiate. Do it over the phone with multiple dealers. Most dealers will not deal over email bc paper trail. Dealers will not take you seriously if you are wishy washy, they will sense it right away. So if you are serious about a vehicle, explain to the dealer if you meet my price, I will give you a credit card deposit. 10/10 chance you will hit the magic number with one of the dealers. Also you cant be lazy. Might require to fly out to another state or drive to another city. Either that or 1000 transport fee
The following users liked this post:
Stormryu (04-21-17)
Old 04-21-17, 05:19 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tq745
Agreed. 70k max is the sweet spot for the GS F. That's why when it first came out I was in no hurry to purchase one. Then once dealers started offering 20k off msrp I knew it was time to get one. Now if the GS F had forced induction, 2 stage clutch then I could see the car being upwards of 90k.

Overall, I'm very happy with the GS F and don't regret my purchase one bit. I plan on keeping this car very long.
The GS-F is definitely way Overpriced...$83K MSRP is unrealistic....

Realistically it should have been priced no more than $10K over a RCF, i.e between $70-75K tops.....
Old 04-21-17, 06:49 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by finny76
The GS-F is definitely way Overpriced...$83K MSRP is unrealistic....

Realistically it should have been priced no more than $10K over a RCF, i.e between $70-75K tops.....
the only issue with that is most RCF after options are between 71-74k. With carbon roof and TVD its 78K
Old 04-21-17, 10:27 PM
NextLevelG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like they should have taken off the TVD and just put in a limited slip diff and cut 5K off the price from the start. I think almost no one would truly care and it would then start in the high 70's. I also think they should actually produce some cars near the base price. $84k base but I have never ever seen one below $87k sticker. Its like the CTS-V starting at around 84k or something but the average price is closer to about 102k. If I could have taken off the HUD and saved even $500 I would have taken that all day. In the end I paid $69,400 for the car and love it more every day.

Great grand touring car, not a race car. Plenty of cars can be race cars but luxury high speed motoring is a totally different class to me.

Quick Reply: Is the GS-F dead?