GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Track Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 08:03 PM
TheREKing
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Track Tires

What are you running for rubber on your GSF for track days?

Has anyone equipped the nt01's?

Has anyone tried using the stock Michelin PSS'?

I will be driving a rather technical track on the 12th and want to make sure I go prepared...any advice (tires to use, psi to run, etc..) is appreciated!
Old 05-04-17, 08:26 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

PSS is more street performance, RE11 is more track oriented. Use NT01 only if they are designated track tires, they dont stand a chance with rain
Old 05-06-17, 07:58 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,314 Likes on 673 Posts

Originally Posted by TheREKing
What are you running for rubber on your GSF for track days?

Has anyone equipped the nt01's?

Has anyone tried using the stock Michelin PSS'?

I will be driving a rather technical track on the 12th and want to make sure I go prepared...any advice (tires to use, psi to run, etc..) is appreciated!
The stock PSS are more capable than most drivers.
Old 05-07-17, 06:56 AM
GtDiesel
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken my stock GS-F to the track a couple times now. The PSS are great tires, track instructor commented I'd be hard pressed to find something better outside of racing slicks. Have taken them through skid pad, some autox laps, and track laps without any issues.

Only issue is they get worn out Just posted another thread asking if any ideas for a track tires + cheap wheel combo that might work on the GS-F. My front PSS are nearing replacement time after only 7k miles.
Old 05-08-17, 10:04 AM
16USBGSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went to the Ron Fellows School in NV last summer. They used PSS tires on all the Corvettes. If you really need more grip you can go up the Cup2 tires, but I am not sure if they make them in the GSF size. Haven't looked. But you can get about 1.4 to 1.5gs out of the PSSs. Which is more than the casual racer can muster.
Old 05-12-17, 08:01 PM
TheREKing
Driver School Candidate

Just getting back from track day...

i must say, I was really disappointed with the Michelin PSS. They give an outstanding level of grip when cold, but after a lap or two it fades, QUICK. Ran at 35/35 and 33/37 (cold psi, 33/37 is better). I was driving a very technical 18 turn 2 mile track, and the tires broke traction innumerable times. I lost precious time because of this and had some very close calls with exiting the track.

The GSF is a capable car, but absolutey needs dedicated race tires to open all its potential. PSS is for street only. Don't waste your warrantied tread

It was very dissapointing to feel the lap time adding up because the tires could not stand up to the demand. I would not suggest running the PSS on a demanding track.

i will try the nitto nt01's on June 2nd and post back. I am also going to change the springs and control bushing.

for anyone who is familiar with New York safety track, my best lap was 1:47.43
The following users liked this post:
BlackGSF (06-09-17)
Old 05-13-17, 10:58 AM
95bat
Racer

That is odd, I've heard the exact opposite from dozens of Corvette owners who track regularly. They all say the PSS's on the Corvette work extremely well when heated up.

Maybe the PSS on the GSF is a different compound?
Old 05-13-17, 02:30 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 95bat
That is odd, I've heard the exact opposite from dozens of Corvette owners who track regularly. They all say the PSS's on the Corvette work extremely well when heated up.

Maybe the PSS on the GSF is a different compound?

i don't know where you are getting your info from. Most people have very similar complaints as the OP. That's why the RE11 are far more superior on the track where as the PSS is better on the streets
Old 05-13-17, 02:33 PM
95bat
Racer

Originally Posted by ssmoked
i don't know where you are getting your info from. Most people have very similar complaints as the OP. That's why the RE11 are far more superior on the track where as the PSS is better on the streets
I'm getting my info from the Corvette forums... read a few posts above, even the Corvette driving schools like Ron Fellows and Spring Mountain all use the OEM PSS tires on the cars. Like I said, maybe the Vette tires are a different compound.
Old 05-16-17, 01:35 PM
GtDiesel
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be awesome if can post back your thoughts on the nt01's after trying them. Also appreciative of any details about what sizes used front/back and if had them on stock or different wheels. Regardless of how the PSS perform I'm not inclined to rip through them so quickly and want to have a setup stashed at the track to swap out.
Old 05-17-17, 04:45 AM
16USBGSF
Driver School Candidate

As a CorvetteForum addict I have not seen *MOST* people complain about them. Only the seasoned racers that can maximize every corner. Casual racers no.

The RE11 is a compound that is close to the Cup2 tires. So of course it is going to be superior to the PSS on the track. But the question that I ask you now, Is the RE11 a superior tire to the MPSCup2s on the track?
Old 05-17-17, 08:47 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 16USBGSF
As a CorvetteForum addict I have not seen *MOST* people complain about them. Only the seasoned racers that can maximize every corner. Casual racers no.

The RE11 is a compound that is close to the Cup2 tires. So of course it is going to be superior to the PSS on the track. But the question that I ask you now, Is the RE11 a superior tire to the MPSCup2s on the track?
buy a corvette and come back share your experience
Old 05-17-17, 09:44 AM
16USBGSF
Driver School Candidate

buy a corvette and come back share your experience
I have owned 4 corvettes. 2005 Z51, 2006 Z06, 2015 Z06, and another 2015 Z06. Now refute my statement other than trying to take cheap shots at me for thinking I don't have the money to own a corvette. Only reason I sold my last corvette was to get the GSF because the wife is having a baby.

But from experience I drove in 109 degree weather in NV at RFSM. No issue with the tires from me driving. No issues with the tires from the instructors driving and pushing the tires over 1.4gs. So its either the car or the driver. I don't blame the tire. Unless these are different compound PSS.
Old 05-17-17, 07:11 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Perhaps the hefty curb weight of the GS-F compared to the Corvette is a significant factor as to why the PSS tires can't take constant abuse on the track
Old 05-19-17, 08:44 AM
16USBGSF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TsunamiF
Perhaps the hefty curb weight of the GS-F compared to the Corvette is a significant factor as to why the PSS tires can't take constant abuse on the track
I would suspect that and the higher center of gravity. The GSF most likely needs a more track aggressive compound tire to compensate for the weight and geometry differences. It also has narrower tires which means smaller contact patch as well. For a car that has the roughly the same HP of the Stingray and about 600 more pounds it would make some sense that a wider tire or more aggressive track compound would be needed to hold the corners as well.

Quick Reply: Track Tires