GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

Made a noob mistake...need to make sure it isnt serious - (jackpoints)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17 | 12:12 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Default Made a noob mistake...need to make sure it isnt serious - (jackpoints)

Yesterday I decided to touch up some chips on my Calipers. Took both front wheels off and rested the car on jackstands. The issue is where i placed the jackstands, i placed them on the subframe, the rail where i would use to jack up the car. I thought that was the right place to place the jackstands. I placed them right behind where the jack was. The frame also fit perfectly on the jackstands so I thought it was correct.

After completing everything I removed both jackstands and to my displeasure where the load rested on the subframe had caved inwards. Google is telling my my alignment might be off now and this may be serious and other posts say this isnt a big deal and many cars are subject to this by improper jacking.

I drove the car today and the alignment seems fine but sometimes i think its off(probably the road crown and the mental aspect of this). Could this be a serious problem for me and should i look into getting it fixed. Or can i live with this? Will my alignment really be off or any potential structural defects.

Lastly where the heck to i place the jackstands so this doesnt happen again.

I would really appreciate the help guys.

Thanks,
Old 05-28-17 | 01:06 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Cool

Provide "Pictures"

To accurately provide an answer: Put the ride on the "Rack" and call it a day!!!

Originally Posted by CobraGSF
Yesterday I decided to touch up some chips on my Calipers. Took both front wheels off and rested the car on jackstands. The issue is where i placed the jackstands, i placed them on the subframe, the rail where i would use to jack up the car. I thought that was the right place to place the jackstands. I placed them right behind where the jack was. The frame also fit perfectly on the jackstands so I thought it was correct.

After completing everything I removed both jackstands and to my displeasure where the load rested on the subframe had caved inwards. Google is telling my my alignment might be off now and this may be serious and other posts say this isnt a big deal and many cars are subject to this by improper jacking.

I drove the car today and the alignment seems fine but sometimes i think its off(probably the road crown and the mental aspect of this). Could this be a serious problem for me and should i look into getting it fixed. Or can i live with this? Will my alignment really be off or any potential structural defects.

Lastly where the heck to i place the jackstands so this doesnt happen again.

I would really appreciate the help guys.

Thanks,

Last edited by 16GSF00336; 05-28-17 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-28-17 | 03:02 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

The first picture of the drivers side. The other two are the passenger side. Anything to be concerned about? can i eventually get this fixed?
Old 05-29-17 | 07:12 PM
danwlee
Driver

from the pics, imo, it seems negligible... if you're not feeling a difference, i say you're good from any immediate issues.

however, the long term concern could be potential rust down the road since you've stripped off what coating there may have been.
Old 06-01-17 | 01:19 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Those channels are not intended for jacking or jackstands. The jack points are along the pan/rocker seam, and the owner's manual calls out the jack points pretty clearly.

The only way you'll "fix" this is to weld something to the bent part, connect a slide hammer, and hammer out the creases. A really good body shop/frame person can do this and it will be pretty close to invisible.

The likelihood you've got performance impacting damage is small. If you are really worried about it, have it repaired. Also, if you ever suspect the frame's geometry has been compromised, it's pretty easy to check the four corners of the sunroof and look for dimples. They are a dead giveaway the car's geometry has been changed. It's also a good used car check if the unit you want to buy has a sunroof.

This diagram is for the IS F, but the GS F uses the exact same points.

The following users liked this post:
RC51TOFUMA (06-03-17)