GS F (2016-present) Discussion topics related to the GS F model

GSF vs. 15+ BMW M3 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 09:56 PM
CalboyF
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile GSF vs. 15+ BMW M3 sedan

Can someone who has owned both or has had an extensive driving experience of both tell me how are the two cars compared in all /any aspect you like to share? I mean, I am just curious about how you like the two cars side by side and ....etc.
Old 07-31-17, 10:27 PM
tomsgsf
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I had an 2015 BMW M4 and 2015 AUDI RS5 before.
If you want get M3 or M4, get the competition pack one, the normal one is pretty slow, but the competition pack M3 is like Gen 2 car compare to normal one. Sound great and faster.
I just dont like steering feel, it is too heavy. and of course turbo lag, not as smooth as GSF.
i dont like the DCT on M3, and it is a small car. My M4 is heavily modified so as my GSF. Still i prefer my Supercharged GSF, if i get pure turbo on BMW, The car cant drive on street, too much toruqe, Spin every where.
Supercharged GSF has no traction problem.
M3 will do good at corner and straight. However when you put enough money on modifying the car. GSF will be a much fun car to drive and sounds much better.
RS5 is heavy and Slow and but a fun car for daily. unlike M3 and GSF, for RS5 there is No way to make it fast.
Old 08-01-17, 08:20 AM
MKIV98TT
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CalboyF
Can someone who has owned both or has had an extensive driving experience of both tell me how are the two cars compared in all /any aspect you like to share? I mean, I am just curious about how you like the two cars side by side and ....etc.
I have owned both cars. Currently, have a '16 GSF. Busy at work at the moment to go into too much detail. PM me and I can call you later in the day.
Old 08-02-17, 09:03 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

M3 is faster and handles better. Option for manual trans, the DCT is probably one of the best in the business.
It also has way more tech and optional features, huge aftermarket support, huge enthusiast community.
To me M3 looks way better.

GSF sounds way better especially with aftermarket exhaust. Gauges are awesome. Comes fully loaded.
Ride is more comfortable, not as rough. Interior is more luxurious and better made.
Styling is poralizing and too close to GS350 Fsport.

Both cars are great imo - if you are shopping used just find the best deal, I think you will be happy with both.
Old 10-30-17, 08:41 PM
RayKnight
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had both at the same time. Ended up selling the M3. If you feel like being a hooligan....The M3 FTW. Its an animal! But with a passenger in the car, on less than perfect roads, and on the highway, its annoying AF to drive. The GS-F is the first car in a LONG time that really is great to drive in any conditions. In normal mode with family in the car, its very pleasant to drive and super comfortable. CRAZY sound system too! Switch it to manual and sport+ and its a VERY fast car that actually hooks up and puts power down. The turn in is amazing. It actually corners better than the F80 M3 did. Tons of rear seat room, huge trunk but overall does not feel like you are driving a big car. It has a very analog feel to it. Especially compared with BMW M cars which anymore are feeling very digital. The GSF has such perfect steering feel and control. The traction control is also a lot better than BMWs. My M5 and M3 the traction control is very aggressive. It cuts power WAY down for way too long. The GSF its very transparent and not very noticeable. It just grips! Even on wet roads its very very good. I had the M5 for almost 2 years, the M3 for about 2 years but the GSF I will likely keep 4-5 years at least.

BMW interior tech is MILES better than Lexus. Like a decade ahead. Easily. BMW service is also better. Its free! But needed more often.

GSF sounds way better. M3 looks cooler. GSF is more upscale. M3 sound deadening is very bad. Annoying on concrete highways. VERY annoying.

M3 DCT or 6 speed, both better than the GSF 8 speed. BMW just has the best transmissions in the biz. Once you get used to the GSF shifting behavior, its not something you care much about. In real weather, real life, the GSF is a much better car IMO. On a race track, the M3 MAY be more fun but i'm not 100% sure of that. Once I got the GSF, my M3 literally sat in my garage for 6 months and only driving every 2 weeks or so out of guilt.

Last edited by RayKnight; 10-30-17 at 08:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Stormryu (11-05-17)
Old 11-05-17, 10:41 AM
Stormryu
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RayKnight
BMW just has the best transmissions in the biz.
I agree with everything you say except that. Porsche PDK > BMW DCT. Got the impression from every source of reading or video reviewing that compares them that I've come across. Almost everyone, if not everyone, says that Porsche has the best dual clutch system. Not sure about manual vs manual when it comes to that comparison though.

Last edited by Stormryu; 11-05-17 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-05-17, 09:53 PM
LexusFsprt
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good thread, I subscribed. I came across this thread since the lease on my RCF is done in a few months, I'm leaning towards a M3 comp pack or GS-F. Both monthly leases are in the same ballpark..
finny76 (11-06-17)
Old 11-08-17, 07:09 AM
E90076
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on personal preference. I’ve owned many M cars and loved the bespokely designed N/A V8 M3s and V10 M5s but BMWs of late are more about appealing to a wider audience and performing well on marketing specs like 0-60 than they are in driver fun. They are a corporation doing what they need to do to move units but the results are unfortunate. There’s no doubt in my mind the M3 would destroy a GSF in lap times but in my opinion, the GSF is the more fun and accessible car to drive hard. Way too extreme I know but conceptually, think 911 turbo vs GT3.
Old 11-23-17, 08:38 AM
Autobacs
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Just get a Lexus from a reliability standpoint. Peace of mind not worrying about what's gonna break next on a BMW, LOL.
finny76 (11-23-17)
Old 11-25-17, 07:00 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

So this is an open question to everyone that has owned BOTH cars. What kind of mods would you need to do to a GSF, so It can keep up with the M3/M4s?
Old 11-25-17, 08:13 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by finny76
So this is an open question to everyone that has owned BOTH cars. What kind of mods would you need to do to a GSF, so It can keep up with the M3/M4s?
No mods needed. The GSF will hang with any stock M3/M4. Don't let the numbers fool you. On real road conditions without absolute perfect hot weather and 100% grip, the GSF is faster 9 times out of 10. The M3 will shock you with how hard it pulls every once in awhile when you have 100% grip but its a very rare occasion. The GSF almost always lets you put down all the power. Turn in feel on the GSF is better as well. Its more confident to drive fast and more fun.
Old 11-25-17, 08:15 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by Autobacs
Just get a Lexus from a reliability standpoint. Peace of mind not worrying about what's gonna break next on a BMW, LOL.
To be fair, i had several late model BMWs and mechanically they were all very reliable. I never felt like i was waiting for something to break. I did have issues with electronics though on all of them. Radio/nav unit stuff. Otherwise solid.
Old 11-25-17, 09:41 AM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Exclamation

No mods needed. The GSF will hang with any stock M3/M4. Don't let the numbers fool you. On real road conditions without absolute perfect hot weather and 100% grip, the GSF is faster 9 times out of 10. The M3 will shock you with how hard it pulls every once in awhile when you have 100% grip but its a very rare occasion. The GSF almost always lets you put down all the power. Turn in feel on the GSF is better as well. Its more confident to drive fast and more fun.
Completely agree that the GSF is better and more fun to driver, however completely disagree, that it can hang with an M3/M4 (because of obvious weight difference)....

RCF & M4

GSF & M3
Old 11-25-17, 09:56 AM
RayKnight
Driver

Originally Posted by finny76
Completely agree that the GSF is better and more fun to driver, however completely disagree, that it can hang with an M3/M4 (because of obvious weight difference)....

RCF & M4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYsVeFko5Ds

GSF & M3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiv9SU1xVgA
Probably can't hang on a pefectly groomed track. On the street? Oh yeah. It can HANG!!! I've owned both at the same time. GSF is solid and faster 9 times out of 10. When conditions are PERFECT then the M3 performance is better. GSF is always more fun. If you want a track only car, skip the M3/M4 and get an M2.
Old 11-26-17, 02:01 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably can't hang on a pefectly groomed track. On the street? Oh yeah. It can HANG!!! I've owned both at the same time. GSF is solid and faster 9 times out of 10. When conditions are PERFECT then the M3 performance is better. GSF is always more fun. If you want a track only car, skip the M3/M4 and get an M2.
I drove the M3, M4, and M2 at the Performance Center and the best of the bunch was the M3. Best handling and best brakes (carbon ceramics) and the best engine (same as M4 of course). The standard brakes on the M2 can't compare to the carbon ceramics. OMG the stopping power of those brakes is unreal. Also, the engine on the M2 isn't a real M engine. According to one instructor, it has some issues when pressed hard on the track as they tend to do at the performance center. An informal poll of the instructors reveled that they liked the M3 the best out of the three.

I have not owned a GSf, only test driven one on a short drive and while it was extremely powerful and very different from my GS350, but I don't think of the GSF as a fun car. If i wanted fun to drive, i'd go with the M3 for sure. But, still the GSF has its merits. 88k is too much for the car. At 65k it is an interesting option. M3s runs 80k with the Competition package. Quite a premium over the standard car, but to me the M3 is worth 80k. The GSF is not worth 88k.

Quick Reply: GSF vs. 15+ BMW M3 sedan